Real world binocular advice needed - Please

Wow, after reading ALOT of post and reviews I really have no idea what I should do now. I'll give some background as what my original plans were, for a spotter I bought a Vortex Razor 22-48x65, Promaster tripod in 2016 for an elk hunt my dad I drew for Colorado, I ended up not being able to really use it due to the amount of timber we were horse backed into. Sometime back, cant really remember I bought a $99 pair of Minox bf 10x42 binos and since I'd never used anything top quality they seemed great and still do, I was able to compare them to a pair of Vortex Viper HD, only difference I seen was the Vipers were brighter during the last 30 minutes of hunting light, which at the time I figured I did good comparing the $$$ that were spent. Every year I try to add something to my arsenal of hunting equipment, this year I was wanting to make it a quality pair of binoculars and was originally planning on going with some vortex razor 10x42's, reason was I use a cabelas card for most everything to accrue points which I can spend at cabelas, currently I have about $500 built up that I can use toward my purchase, I also have a 35% discount I could use directly with vortex, I assume it would be based on msrp though, so it may not be the best route. I'm also not opposed to spend my dollars else where if its the best bang for my buck, just giving background to why I'm referencing cabelas.

Unfortunately now I'm reading vortex has been outsourced to china from japan, I am familiar with other items in the consumer world that are great from japan and crap from china, so that has got me on edge, and I know its easy to get wrapped up in the "great vortex warranty" and as I have read where others pointed out, who know if vortex will be around 20 years from now, and I want my purchase to count. Plus I'm reading alot on here were alot of other choices are superior to the razors in the same price range.

So this year my dad and I have cashed in 9 points in Wyoming for an archery elkhunt, and were being told some of the area is glassable so I would really like to be prepared as possible. I currently don't mule deer hunt, but would like to, just cant take off work that much since I already do an elk hunt every year somewhere. Most of my hunting so far has been in timbered areas, last year I purchased a AGC bino harness to try to start using my binos more while working through timbered areas. I've always heard a good all around power was the 10x42, I've read where alot of people really like the Maven 9x45's, so I'm open to other choices if you have already been down this road and wish you had went the other direction. Below are choices and break down for out of pocket dollars I would have to spend, there area many brands referenced, remember I have no real world experience with anything nice, so anything purchased will most likely be perceived as "better" than my current binos. I'm prepared to spend around $1000, can spend a little more if its really the best deal, I think something like Swaro El's are just out of my budget and honestly it would probably be like a pig in a dress with my eyes, there just not used to seeing or even know what great glass really looks like.

These are all brands / models that can be picked up at cabelas;

Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 $1800: 1800 +148.5(tax) $1948.5 - $500 = $1448.5 out of pocket

Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 $1750: 1750 +144(tax) $1894 - $500 = $1394 out of pocket

Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 $1050: 1050 + 87(tax) $1137 - $500 = $637 out of pocket

These below all end up being the same in store price

Cabelas Instinct Euro HD 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket
(Same as Meopta Meostars)

Vortex Razor HD 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket
Read these are really good, but not really talked about much

Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket

Mavens I would have to buy direct so:

Maven B.1 10x42 $950: $950 + shipping possibly
Maven B.2 9x45 $1050: $1050 + shipping possibly

Again these are models I picked up on through reading, I just need a firm direction on which route is the best in the end, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and do not want to have to make another purchase later on down the road. Thanks in advance for any help and insight, I'm also open to buying used, unfortunately I need more post to use the classifieds section, and I'm not really a poster, more of the reader type, but I will try to get my post count up without being a needless spammer. Also very sorry for another "which binocular" thread, you guys have responded to a ton of them, I know this from reading more pages than I've probably read in the past year!

Thanks guys!

TnCo

FNG
I have a pair of leupold bx3 a pair of vortex razor and swaro SLC all 10x42, my opinion is to get the Swarovski, it’s just unbeatable glass, and I’m pretty sure it comes with a warranty just not the lifetime like vortex. The razor hd 10x42 are decent Bono’s also, but they usually sit in the tote because the swaros go with me.

Ronb

WKR
If using the Cabelas bucks. I would get the Trinnies or Monarch hd. Otherwise use the Cabelas bucks on something else and pick up a pair of slc’s used. They are a little better imo. If your patient, you can score a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should go to the store and spend some time behind each if possible. A lot of great choices you posted and really cant go wrong with any of those, it will boil down to what looks best through your eyes and the ergonomics of the bino’s. Id get 10x42’s

cmahoney

WKR
I have a pair of leupold bx3 a pair of vortex razor and swaro SLC all 10x42, my opinion is to get the Swarovski, it’s just unbeatable glass, and I’m pretty sure it comes with a warranty just not the lifetime like vortex. The razor hd 10x42 are decent Bono’s also, but they usually sit in the tote because the swaros go with me.

I second the SLC’s, I got some 15’s last year and they are incredible. I haven’t spent much time elk hunting but I have looked at a bunch when scouting and deer hunting in a major elk area here in NV. One thing I noticed is they are way easier to pick up than deer, so I don’t know if the extra cash for binos is completely worth it for you if you are only after elk.

I actually want to pick up a set of 8 power binos for when I do draw a descent elk tag and when I hunt the coast.

elkguide

WKR
Disclaimer!!!!!!!! I am a Swarovski FAN BOY!!!!!!!!

Having hunted the West for many, many years and having spent 10 years as an elk hunting guide in Wyoming, my choice is a pair of Swarovski 10X42's. Whether you go with the SLC's or the EL's, that is up to your eyes. I have both (well my son has laid claims to my SLC's) and I like them both. Probably like the SLC's just a little bit more. I'd check with Doug (gr8fuldoug here on Rokslide) at Cameraland and see if he has any specials and then use your Cabelas bucks on other gear.

I love my conquests and they are a very well regarded choice in that price range, particularly among the birding community.

What you’re going to get here is at least one person per bino who chimes in and says “so and so is definitely the way to go”. Bottom line, all of those choices are great options and the glass will not make or break a hunt between the options you have. What it should come down to is ergonomics—you need to go check them out and see how they feel to you. Pay close attention to which ones seem easiest to bring to your eyes, which ones do not give black-outs, and which focus wheel seems smooth and/or intuitive (for instance the Zeiss has a very fast focus which some do not care for, others love it). Personally I would stick with the big three Zeiss Leica or Swaro, as you have mentioned they will be around forever and all of them have reasonably good warranties.

To really evaluate the optical performances of those you would need to take them outside, preferably in the evening, and put them on a tripod. The store lighting can be deceptive and they will all look pretty good looking 100 yards across the store. But I think any of the big three you have mentioned will have excellent glass and I would worry more about the ergonomics.

Trial153

WKR
You can buy a demo set of conquests at red hawk rifle for 750... almost the same price out of pocket...put that 500 towards a better deal down the road.

I have both the 8 power Leica trinovids and the b2 11 x45 maven's, can't bet the maven's for the price but a tad on the heavy side. Incredible glass for the money.

LandYacht

WKR
If the Vipers you looked through were an older pair, the new HD ones will blow them away. Take a look at the new Vipers and save yourself a bunch of money with your discount you get.

Here is a good review to read.

http://blog.sandsarchery.com/2018-optics-demo-and-binocular-shootout/

I’ve looked though a pair hunting with my buddy and they don’t give up very much at all to my Zeiss HTs.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d go Leica, with Cabela’s and bps changes I’d be worried about the Cabela’s brand warranty down the road.

fly1tie6

FNG
As others have mentioned give Doug a call at Camera Land and mention you are a member here. He’s very knowledgeable and has good pricing. With that said I have been very pleased with Meoptas.

AGPank

WKR
Seems like you’ve done a lot of the research. Now you need to get behind some outside and see what you like.

The Meoptas, Leica, and Nikons would be on the top of my list at $1000 range (Zeiss Conquest HD didn’t fit me). I’ve seen Cabelas run sales in April (or spring) on the Instinct (Meostars) if money plays a factor.

Your out of pocket costs are very different especially if you don’t need $500 of other Cabelas gear.

OP
Txelkhunter
Think I'm going to take everyone's advice and try to demo most of these at cabelas, hopefully the salesman wont be too put off if I dont buy right then, if I can get him to take them all outside to demo. I appreciate all the feedback, also going to check used prices on several of these as others have mentioned.

Thanks again!

ericF

WKR
Disregarding the binocular choice completely, since you already have Cabelas points you should be using Active Junky for an additional discount. If you haven't heard of it Active Junky is a referral website that will give you a set amount back from a number of stores when you sign in and use their link to go to Cabelas. It sounds too good to be true, but it really is that simple and a number of people on here have been using it for a while. Back before the merger, you used to be able to get Cabelas gift cards for 20% off on Ebay and then combined with Active Junky which was usually 10%, we were getting 30% off at a minimum for anything online. The only catch is that they send a check out 4 times a year so you have to wait a couple months to get your money back and the amount back can vary week to week. It is 7% right now, but it was 12% for a day or two last week.

Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong with the Zeiss Conquest 10x42's and that is speaking as someone who just bought some Swarovski 10x42 SLC's last week. I have a set of Zeiss 8x42's that I love and on my next pair I wanted to see if the Swaros were that much better. I can't objectively say anything yet since I haven't had time to review them, but where you are coming from in your previous binoculars and experience, you will be happy with either pair, but will save a lot of money with the Zeiss's.

BluMtn

WKR
As mentioned above your choices are good. You mentioned that you are going to go to Cabelas to try different glass. When you do it, look for a pickup at the end of the parking lot that you can see the front end of. Next look into the front wheel well and try and see how much detail of the shock absorber you can see. I know it sounds strange but you can get alot of information about how good the glass is even at mid-day.

OP
Txelkhunter
As mentioned above your choices are good. You mentioned that you are going to go to Cabelas to try different glass. When you do it, look for a pickup at the end of the parking lot that you can see the front end of. Next look into the front wheel well and try and see how much detail of the shock absorber you can see. I know it sounds strange but you can get alot of information about how good the glass is even at mid-day.

Thats a good idea, never thought of trying that, thanks!

NV HUNTER

WKR
I have 10x50 vortex razor and I love them . They are the Japan model. I hunt Nevada, Utah, Montana. Lots of open country. I know that I am not good enough behind the glass to tell the subtle differences. I am happy with my purchase and the money I saved .

OutdoorAg

WKR
Lots of great info here. I would just add this:

I buy all my optics used. Great glass is great glass, and rarely if ever does any normal use make used glass less capable than new.

And I’ve bought all Swarovski. Bc for the time being, the Austrian green guys have the best resale.

Meaning: if you buy a used SLC, use it for a few years and want to try an EL, or something new that Swaro brings out - you’ll get the biggest chunk of your money back. That can’t be said for all the others. From what I see here and on other classifieds, Leica is probably next in line with retaining value, followed by Zeiss.

I’d say keep you eyes open here and other places. Start getting a feel for used prices, then be ready to make a good offer when you see what you want.