Red Dots over 1x scope? Yes or No?

Does anyone prefer a red dot to a low power scope? Trying to determine if I should just go with a red dot for my wife's muzzleloader over a 1x scope.

TaperPin

WKR
I have both and the red dot is probably easier for most people to learn to use since your eye doesn’t have to be aligned as precisely, and is probably safer for occasional/inexperienced shooters since eye relief is so long. Having said that, I’ll use a 1x scope every time since it’s soooo easy to use compared to a high powered scope, and instead of a fuzzy red thing there is a nice sharp reticle - it just feels more natural.

I have a 1x Sightron that isn’t made anymore and they have sold used on eBay between $100 and $400. It seems like a good medium-quality scope with very bright lenses.

I'm thinking the scope would be best due to light gathering ability (if it does that). The dot, if it's a 2 minute dot would cover 4 inches at 200 yards. Also, you have to worry about the electronics (battery crapping out) on the red dot.

308Baer

FNG
I currently run a 1X on a muzzleloader. The reticle gives a nice aiming point. I would think this would be more precise than a red dot especially if shooting at any distance. I would think the red dot would cover up much of the target. The end of the barrel can be seen in the scope which takes a bit to get used to. Shots over 100 yards can be challenge. Deer look pretty small though the 1X.

OP
MuleyFever
We used 1x scopes for a few years but sold them when they changed the rule. Now its back to 1x so trying to find something and the red dots are about all you can find right now. Thats why I am wondering about them. Ebay has a few scopes but they go for crazy money for what they are.

If anyone has a 1x they want to get rid of, or borrow out for the season, let me know.

We used 1x scopes for a few years but sold them when they changed the rule. Now its back to 1x so trying to find something and the red dots are about all you can find right now. Thats why I am wondering about them. Ebay has a few scopes but they go for crazy money for what they are.

If anyone has a 1x they want to get rid of, or borrow out for the season, let me know.
How about a 1X scope with an illuminated red dot in the middle of the crosshairs? Might be the best of both worlds.

tracker12

WKR
I have both and the red dot is probably easier for most people to learn to use since your eye doesn’t have to be aligned as precisely, and is probably safer for occasional/inexperienced shooters since eye relief is so long. Having said that, I’ll use a 1x scope every time since it’s soooo easy to use compared to a high powered scope, and instead of a fuzzy red thing there is a nice sharp reticle - it just feels more natural.

I have a 1x Sightron that isn’t made anymore and they have sold used on eBay between $100 and $400. It seems like a good medium-quality scope with very bright lenses.
I had a 1X Sightron and gave it to a friend since I didn’t think I would use it again. Drew a UT muzzy tag this year so called my buddy and said hey Id like to use that scope I gave you. Well he sold it🙄. Now Im in the hunt for another. None of the 1X hopes are great but that one was usable.

OP
MuleyFever
We went and looked at the Leupold Freedom RDS. I can see how maybe a red dot is not the best option when pushing it out to a few hundred yards. They wew 20% off so I bought it as a plan B if I cant find a scope. I had the wife look through the Vortex 1-4x on 1x and she said she liked the crosshairs more. The bummer is the local ACE said they sold their last Vortex 1x last week. I never even thought to go see if they had any considering I cant find one online anywhere.

I was wondering if there is a way to disable the variable knob on a 1-4x scope and if I could prove it is no longer variable if I would get a fine from a warden?

sticman77

FNG
I’ve found some 1x scopes/prisms will give people double vision shooting both eyes open while red dots do not.

Some red dots (holosun, sig) have backup solar if battery is a concern, but the battery lives are measured in the tens of thousands of hours.

If you’re looking for a very light 1x the primary arms slx 1x gen 2 microprism is very popular in the ar world. They are coming out with a nicer Glx version next month or July.

I started a thread about this and a few people suggested a prism and I love it. It’s the perfect combination of a scope and a red dot. I bought a Athlon and a primary arms SLX. Haven’t gotten t to shoo them yet but they’re great aiming at deer sized rocks at 200. With my 330 gr ELDx load 5 inches high at 100 it’s dead in at 200 so I think this will be a great 200 yard combo.