Release agent for glass bedding???

hawk45

FNG
Another Johnson's paste wax guy here. Marine Tex, clay and JPW. Three thin coats and good to go.

OP
nemthunter
Thank you all that have replied. I appreciate it. What I was using worked I just did not like it. But it sounds like most Like Kiwi boot polish or wax.

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said you wanted something other than kiwi......but, I use the kiwi natural as well. When you used it did it not release? I've never had an issue regardless of how many coats I put on. Just make sure to use a Q-tip or small brush to get all the cracks and crevasses. That being said, if you don't like it just try something new. I'm sure they all work. I've heard good things about the Brownell's Acra-Release spray stuff. I'd probably use that but I just can't see spending the money when the Kiwi has always worked for me.

Just finished bedding my Picatinny rail on my Browning x bolt. Used synthetic car wax on the rifle (2 coats) , a squirt of Rem oil in the screw holes and screws. Came apart very easy.

OP
nemthunter
I know you said you wanted something other than kiwi......but, I use the kiwi natural as well. When you used it did it not release? I've never had an issue regardless of how many coats I put on. Just make sure to use a Q-tip or small brush to get all the cracks and crevasses. That being said, if you don't like it just try something new. I'm sure they all work. I've heard good things about the Brownell's Acra-Release spray stuff. I'd probably use that but I just can't see spending the money when the Kiwi has always worked for me.

It did release for me. Just not as good as I thought it should. I have only used the Kiwi for bedding scope rails. After how it worked I was to chicken to try it on a receiver bedding job. I have used the blue gel for everything so far.

I am still very tempted to get the Brownells spray on stuff and try it. I have another gun to bed and would like to try something different.

Again thanks to all that posted here.

Yote Klr

FNG
It did release for me. Just not as good as I thought it should. I have only used the Kiwi for bedding scope rails. After how it worked I was to chicken to try it on a receiver bedding job. I have used the blue gel for everything so far.

I am still very tempted to get the Brownells spray on stuff and try it. I have another gun to bed and would like to try something different.

One thing to remember that was mentioned before, you dont want the rifle to just fall out of the stock after bedding is cured.
IMO, if you dont have to work it out of the stock it doesnt fit good enough.

OP
nemthunter
One thing to remember that was mentioned before, you dont want the rifle to just fall out of the stock after bedding is cured.
IMO, if you dont have to work it out of the stock it doesnt fit good enough.

I have to work them out. They click back in and have to be pulled back out. Scope rails have none of that. And with Kiwi it almost stuck. I had to work to get it off. Thats why it scares me.

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider

Now that I think about it, I did bed a scope rail one time with JB Weld that didn't release very well. It still came off but really popped when it came loose. I usually use Devcon or Acraglas. Not sure if it was the JB Weld, user error, or maybe that's just how rails are. I'm not 100% sure because that was the only scope rail I ever did. Regardless of what you use, you'll always have a little apprehension when it comes time to pop the action out of the stock.

OP
nemthunter
Now that I think about it, I did bed a scope rail one time with JB Weld that didn't release very well. It still came off but really popped when it came loose. I usually use Devcon or Acraglas. Not sure if it was the JB Weld, user error, or maybe that's just how rails are. I'm not 100% sure because that was the only scope rail I ever did. Regardless of what you use, you'll always have a little apprehension when it comes time to pop the action out of the stock.

I have done a couple of scope rails and the one with the blue gell popped right off. I also have bedded my scope to the rings. I did both halves. I use Acraglas. Did not know there were other options before using a PC. LOL

Yote Klr

FNG
Looks like Kiwi is winning out so far. LOL NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! :D It scares me to try and use it on a action after seeing what it did not do for me on the base I tested it on. Maybe I did not polish it enough? I did do two coats. It was easy to work with and that I liked.

Thanks for the input yall. keep it coming!
If you can place the rifle in the freezer after 24 hr cure period. The difference in the coefficient of themal expansion of the Epoxy and steel will act to break the bond, if there is one. This has made my life less scary a couple of times.

Are you thinking of bedding your SavageTarget action?

OP
nemthunter
If you can place the rifle in the freezer after 24 hr cure period. The difference in the coefficient of themal expansion of the Epoxy and steel will act to break the bond, if there is one. This has made my life less scary a couple of times.

Are you thinking of bedding your SavageTarget action?

I have never had to go to the freezer yet. LOL Got close one time though. I bet it would be ok just to make it easier to take apart.

No, I bedded that action plus 5" of the barrel already, I bedded the scope base to the action as well as the scope to the rings.

I am going to bed my Ruger American. Would like to see what I can do to make the stock stiffer. It shoots good. But can't help but think with a good bedding job as well as the forend stiffened up it should get even better. Besides. Guns are not meant to be left stock... :cool:

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I used automotive car wax. I applied it liberally and used a heat gun to get it to release.

I have bedded several actions and bases with jb and used snow seal as a release agent. Has worked well. I haven’t used anything else so I have nothing to compare it to. That’s what I had on hand and it worked so I stuck with it.