Release Recommendations

Hey Everyone, I've decided I would like to upgrade my release. (I've been shooting an entry level trigger tru-fire release for reference)

I'd appreciate opinions on trigger versus thumb releases for hunting applications. I also practice often if that plays a role in your opinion. I shot some thumb releases at my bow shop recently and liked them but I am concerned about hunting with them for a few reasons.

Beyond that, it seems like there's a hundred options of both style of release so would apprecite some reccomendations on brands/styles.

Thanks in advance!

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
So I went from a wrist release to a hand held (thumb trigger) because it’s infinitely more comfortable/enjoyable for me and I shoot better. That was an easy decision.

Hunting you have to deal with/manage/not loose a handheld release-that’s the biggest drawback. If everything’s on the line and I HAVE to make a good shot, I’m using my wide choice (thumb trigger) because I have the most confidence.

The positives out weigh the negatives for me with a hand held release, so I 1) carry a backup! and 2) manage the SoB so I don’t loose it. Right pants pocket, always checking to make sure it’s there.

nphunter

WKR
I've been using a handheld for 8yrs now, I've never left it behind or wished I would have had a wrist strap. I hunt and hike a lot and get 1 or 2 shots each year, it doesn't make since to have that thing strapped around my wrist for hundreds of hours to use it for 30 seconds.

You don't have a sweaty wrist, no taking it off to add or remove layers, no taking it off to take a dump, don't accidentally piss on it anymore, no more clanking on the bow, no more hanging up on brush, no more not being able to wear gloves properly, no more close calls in the truck when it catches on the steering wheel going from one place to the next, the list goes on and on. I will never use a wrist strap again, I've shot a lot of animals with a thumb button from as close as 13 yards and have never felt as if it took too long to grab out of my pocket and use, I can even clip it to the loop and range while a bull is coming in or I'm waiting for a buck to stand.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a thumb release a few years back. Was paranoid I would loose it so I put a lanyard on it and wear it around my neck.

Jrob

FNG
I made the switch from a wrist release to a thumb release this year. I’ve got a Carter Wise Choice. I’m very happy that I switched over.

TheTone

WKR
I made the switch from a wrist release to a thumb release this year. I’ve got a Carter Wise Choice. I’m very happy that I switched over.
Made the same switch and am happy. I messed around a bit with a Stan Axis release at a shop recently and really liked it. I think it would make an awesome “hunting” thumb button release.

If I was buying new with an index release I’d look for something with adjustable trigger tension that can get heavy and an open hook

Last year I switched from a wrist strap to a Truefire Edge 4 finger. I don’t know that I necessarily shoot it any better, but I love not having it strapped to my wrist.
I have no experience with any other hand helds, but for the price of this one $80ish I’ve been very happy

Zac

WKR
If your bows set up for an index stick with that. What kind of shooter are you. Basically there are great options for punching, or back tension. However they are very different releases.

OP
C
If your bows set up for an index stick with that. What kind of shooter are you. Basically there are great options for punching, or back tension. However they are very different releases.
I'm not totally sure how to answer this question. I don't often fin s myself punching the trigger, only when I get tires later in a range session. The couple times I shot the thumb releases at the shop I liked finding the anchor and the squeeze to fire seemed to be very repeatable

Marble

WKR
My only suggestion is to get both a hinge and a button that are twins of each other. When you learn a hinge well and practice with it, switching to a thumb is rather simple, and you stay in the practice of pulling through a shot, rather than punching it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

People have debated this quite a bit. I don't think there is one better than the other, but more personal preference. There positives/negatives to both that have been mentioned. I Some offerings for an index I have used: Carter Like mike (original), Carter Rx1, Stan Sole x (only tested), Scott S2, Spot Hogg Wiseguy. It's hard to compare one to the other, some are jaw design, some are open hook, some are dual/single sear designs, some have longer lengths, some are rigid posts, some are flexible.

For a thumb release... the handheld neck length matters! Some brands have a longer length from handle to release attachment/hook. This affects your draw length. For example the Carter Too Simple is really short while the UV Button is really long. Both are great, but one can cause you to shorter/lengthen your draw. Some offerings I have used: Carter Wise Choice, Carter Too Simple, Stan Perfex, Stan Onnex, Tru Ball Blade, UV Button (only tried, never owned). In general a quality handheld is going to $100 more than an index. Many are $250 and up. This is really expensive to have one for a back up...you're looking at $500 for 2 handheld releases.... An index is like $150-$175 at the high end.

FWIW I currently shoot a Scott S2 which is a dual sear index.

TRY AS MANY AS YOU CAN!!!! Try em at the shop, try a friends, buy used if you are unsure. I spent so much cash trying all kinds and styles of both....

Last edited:
OP
C
People have debated this quite a bit. I don't think there is one better than the other, but more personal preference. There positives/negatives to both that have been mentioned. I Some offerings for an index I have used: Carter Like mike (original), Carter Rx1, Stan Sole x (only tested), Scott S2, Spot Hogg Wiseguy. It's hard to compare one to the other, some are jaw design, some are open hook, some are dual/single sear designs, some have longer lengths, some are rigid posts, some are flexible.

For a thumb release... the handheld neck length matters! Some brands have a longer length from handle to release attachment/hook. This affects your draw length. For example the Carter Too Simple is really short while the UV Button is really long. Both are great, but one can cause you to shorter/lengthen your draw. Some offerings I have used: Carter Wise Choice, Carter Too Simple, Stan Perfex, Stan Onnex, Tru Ball Blade, UV Button (only tried, never owned). In general a quality handheld is going to $100 more than an index. Many are $250 and up. This is really expensive to have one for a back up...you're looking at $500 for 2 handheld releases.... An index is like $150-$175 at the high end.

FWIW I currently shoot a Scott S2 which is a dual sear index.
Really appreciate going into depth, super helpful!

Zac

WKR
I'm not totally sure how to answer this question. I don't often fin s myself punching the trigger, only when I get tires later in a range session. The couple times I shot the thumb releases at the shop I liked finding the anchor and the squeeze to fire seemed to be very repeatable
You need to figure it out, if you punch a thumb your arrow can land in the next county. I know it’s the cool thing right now, but it isn’t automatically the answer.

Marshfly

WKR
For an index, I fell in love with the Stan Solex. Get the web version so you can make it super short. Best index I have used by far.

That said, I have an Onnex Clicker on the way. Excited to give that a run down over the summer.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I shot an index for the last 10 years on and off just for fun. My son got a bow and needed a release and mine fit him well, so I gave him mine and decided to try a thumb. I found a used Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper on ebay after reading lots of reviews and decided to try it out. I must have been punching the index or been inconsistent, because my groups shrunk with the thumb. I really like it. I have been shooting it for about a month and I don't see myself going back. It does have an extra hole in it to attach a tether that I will figure out.

nphunter

WKR
You need to figure it out, if you punch a thumb your arrow can land in the next county. I know it’s the cool thing right now, but it isn’t automatically the answer.

I'm not sure how punching a thumb is any different than a trigger? If you come to anchor and punch the trigger they are both going toward the target. I watched a friend hit his trigger on his wrist strap last weekend at a shoot and sent an arrow flying.
I've been shooting a thumb release for close to 10 years and have never accidentally bumped the trigger and sent one into outer space. I've flinched with my hinge and have lost a couple, the only thing I've ever done with a thumb button is relaxed my hand too much and had it shoot out of my hand, the arrow still hit the target though. That was also with a 2 finger model.