Release Recommendations

kcm2

WKR
The Carter Like Mike is a great release. My preference is the Spot Hogg Keeton. For whatever reason, I can hold it longer. And when shooting at fidgety animals, that's a huge benefit. I can overcome the noise factor. YMMV.

Zac

WKR
I'm not sure how punching a thumb is any different than a trigger? If you come to anchor and punch the trigger they are both going toward the target. I watched a friend hit his trigger on his wrist strap last weekend at a shoot and sent an arrow flying.
I've been shooting a thumb release for close to 10 years and have never accidentally bumped the trigger and sent one into outer space. I've flinched with my hinge and have lost a couple, the only thing I've ever done with a thumb button is relaxed my hand too much and had it shoot out of my hand, the arrow still hit the target though. That was also with a 2 finger model.
Obviously it can be done very effectively. Kyle, Jimmy and many others have shown that. However they are choosing releases that allow them to be extremely light. They also have incredible follow through. There are more factors with a handheld because the entire palm is involved. If someone punches, or commands appropriately it’s no different than anything else. However if the hand reacts that plays havoc on rocket position which as you know changes how the arrow comes out of the bow. The index is the lesser of two evils in this situation.

Nothing wrong with a wrist release. Look at some of the pros. They compete with them. There are quite a few actually. If you decide to go with a better index release look at ones that have multiple trigger adjustment screws and are adjustable for length so you can get your trigger set where you like it. I would look at Truball (study up on Paige Pearce and why she selected them) or Carter. And I’ve heard the Spot hog makes a heck of a nice one too.

I have a Truball centerfire which is a nice single sear adjustable model. I might even sell it reasonable if you’re interested as I’ve thought about upgrading. It would be a nice upgrade from what you’ve been using. Shoot me a pm if interested. I’m going to pick up my new bow tomorrow and I would need to know if I should drop some coming while there and buy a new release lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never shot anything but my old wrist release. I do punch it. I’m trying to get over that. What would make a thumb release less likely to punch? More concentration to make the shot?

I’ve never shot anything but my old wrist release. I do punch it. I’m trying to get over that. What would make a thumb release less likely to punch? More concentration to make the shot?
I’ve been told if you have flinching issues switching releases is not going to fix it. The problem will follow and personally I believe that. My son shoots a thumb button (Stan’s Onnex) and I’ve caught him flinching. A buddy of mine shoots a thumb button and he jerks so bad that at times the whole bow and his body jerks violently and he’s still holding the bow back and never released anything. That’s when you know you have an issue lol! We’ve all done that at some point.

Wolf13

FNG
Releases are so personal it’s impossible to get an idea without touching and practicing with one. I have a Stan sx3 and recently picked up a Carter revelation. The Stan fits my hand great while the Carter is currently “ok”, but that’s likely due to surgery and me not being able to shoot as it felt good at the shop. I prefer a handheld as I couldn’t stand the wrist strap. Felt it was either too tight, too loose, or just something. Went to a hand and haven’t looked back.

Marshfly

WKR
I’ve been told if you have flinching issues switching releases is not going to fix it. The problem will follow and personally I believe that. My son shoots a thumb button (Stan’s Onnex) and I’ve caught him flinching. A buddy of mine shoots a thumb button and he jerks so bad that at times the whole bow and his body jerks violently and he’s still holding the bow back and never released anything. That’s when you know you have an issue lol! We’ve all done that at some point.
I see the majority of people shooting thumb buttons at the range punching. Most people punch period.

I've ben messing with the new Onnex Clicker. It definitely CAN reduce punching if you use it as intended, that said, you can still punch the crap out of it.

I have used both and will say there are pros/cons to each. However if shooting a handheld you need to use back tension to get the most out of it, which requires more practice. If you are shooting less than 500 shots/year then it may be easier to stick with index in the heat of the moment hunting scenario.

I’d say in some cases they are even easier to punch. Blank bale to get over the punching.

This is accurate when I first started shooting a handheld I punched the crap out of it never had an issue with index but had to get over punching a thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
I have used both and will say there are pros/cons to each. However if shooting a handheld you need to use back tension to get the most out of it, which requires more practice. If you are shooting less than 500 shots/year then it may be easier to stick with index in the heat of the moment hunting scenario.
If you are shooting less than 500 shots a year you have zero business drawing a bow on an animal. I see those guys at the local range/3d course and just cringe.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t disagree but I would sure assume the majority of hunters shoot less then 500 shots a year. There are the guys devoted and the guys that pull it out a week before season. I know a lot of those guys that kill a lot more regularly than me.