Remote Job for Wife

My kids are now to the age they are all in school and my wife is wanted to go back to work part time while they are in school to help make some money with savings, activities, etc. Not financially critical that she has a job, but she would like to contribute to the family. On social media many “influencers” talk about that there are often online/remote jobs at various big companies (Amazon, Dell, Apple, Disney, etc). Has anybody ever done one of these things and it actually panned out?

Are there other places people would suggest that she looks? She wants something flexible where maybe she could work as much or as little as she would like. She only has an AA so not an overly marketable degree.

Medical billing coding/processing??
I don’t really know anything about it except that my sister-in-law was in it for a while. She worked from home with flexible hours and said they were always looking to hire. She had no prior training or medical experience.
I don’t know but good luck.

jimh406

WKR
Do a search on LinkedIn for Remote. That should give you some good ideas. There are plenty of ways to do online learning and earn a BS or higher, so that might be a good idea if she will eventually work full time.

It's a shame though that raising kids isn't contributing to your family though. ;). I know ... you probably didn't mean it that way, but I couldn't resist.

CorbLand

WKR
Not remote work but a good option is looking at being a teachers aid (not sure what they call them now) at the local school. Usually part time, flexible days, and you work the same schedule as your kids are in school. Summers and weekends off.

ODB

WKR
Not remote work but a good option is looking at being a teachers aid (not sure what they call them now) at the local school. Usually part time, flexible days, and you work the same schedule as your kids are in school. Summers and weekends off.

This is what I was thinking... between Pullman and Moscow there must be a lot of schools.

When my brother and i were in school my mom worked for a different school for the reasons stated - it worked out very well for our family.

sub teacher might be an option. It would be better over an EA (educational asst). You can pick which days you are available and pick which grades/ only sub at the good schools at least the subs in our district have that option. Pretty sure there's a demand, out district certainly does. They dropped a lot of the requirements in our district bc there was such a need and all the EAs were switching to subs bc it pays more and they are more in control of their schedule.

CMF

WKR
Upwork and Fiver have contract-type jobs for various skills, data entry, virtual assistance, etc. You bid on the jobs you want. I've never done work through them, but I've used people on there for graphic design, website building, etc.

Lots of data entry and tutoring positions online, have her get a look at LinkedIn. Not the most desirable jobs but part time and being able to do it from the house would be a benefit.

Fowl Play

WKR
My wife did VIPkid for a while (online English teaching). Made $18 an hour, which was more than she made being an actual teacher…

bis534

FNG
Online remote jobs are either a rare opportunity that a lot of people look for, that are in a similar situation. I know a few people in the dept of labor.

The reality is, you need a skill. Getting a remote job is still a job. What's worst is your expected to do it with little oversight when trying to convince someone to hire you.

Examples would be like a medical biller. Many work at home, and make around 6 figures. You have to know how to do medically billing, have a computer for it, and meet certain deadlines. The biggest is know how to do medical billing.

Others might have a state job like your states unemployment program, handling claims. Amazon does have some home jobs, but I hear they have a high attrition rate given the job demand. That might just be in the warehouses though. Idk.

Point being, it's hard, for anyone to just jump back into the work force without a specific skill. Chances are she will have to find a job willing to train, and work her way up. Indeed, Facebook groups in your area or state that do job postings for your area, job fairs, and good ol ground work and networking are ways to get started.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Only need 60 credits to be a sub teacher. Most schools pay $100+ per day, can choose when to work, 6 hour days and basically show up and be a warm body. Read a book while kids sit on their chrome books and do work left for them.

Also a great foot in the door if she wants to peruse full time, a secretary or attendance clerk in the future.

kpk

WKR
sub teacher might be an option. It would be better over an EA (educational asst). You can pick which days you are available and pick which grades/ only sub at the good schools at least the subs in our district have that option. Pretty sure there's a demand, out district certainly does. They dropped a lot of the requirements in our district bc there was such a need and all the EAs were switching to subs bc it pays more and they are more in control of their schedule.

I saw one of the small schools in my area was looking for subs last week and they were paying $35/hr.

My wife has a small book keeping business as a side gig that does pretty well. She does the books for 5-6 small businesses. There are a few different programs out there that will teach quickbooks and how to "build" the business. Its a process and took her about a year to get it up and going. Its low investment and low over head. She could probably do it full time but she enjoys her day job.
Its not all sunshine and roses, its like everything, you need to screen clients to minimize your head aches, but its flexible and something you can get going from scratch for a couple grand.

CorbLand

WKR
This is what I was thinking... between Pullman and Moscow there must be a lot of schools.

When my brother and i were in school my mom worked for a different school for the reasons stated - it worked out very well for our family.
My mom was a single mom with three kids and did the same. She would take us to school when she went to work and take us home when she was off. Worked perfect for what she needed.

Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR
Upwork and Fiver have contract-type jobs for various skills, data entry, virtual assistance, etc. You bid on the jobs you want. I've never done work through them, but I've used people on there for graphic design, website building, etc.

How did that work for we site building? Do you need to give them passwords, etc for your hosting site? Always wondered how that worked with random folks around the world.

crich

WKR
Depending on where you live driving for door dash and other delivery services could be good. I know someone who moved away from his family for work for about a year and did it in his off time. He pulled in an extra 20k.

Not really a "career" but would provide more flexibility than anything else.

CS rep for Amazon...couple of buddies have wives that do it part time during the day while kids are at school.

brn2hnt

WKR
How did that work for we site building? Do you need to give them passwords, etc for your hosting site? Always wondered how that worked with random folks around the world.
Typically you would add them as a user on the account. Adjust their permissions as needed. Never give out your admin account. Same for email softwares, social accounts, ad accounts, etc.

Reactions: ODB

CHSD

WKR
Subs in our district make good cash if they can work a bunch of days. Days 1-4 are paid at $160. Days 5-9 are paid at $180. Days 10-14 are paid at $200, and 15 on are paid at $220. If a sub gets to the next "level of pay" then all of their days get paid at that level. So if you work 5 days, each of the 5 days gets paid at $180.

Our district just went to this to recruit sub after covid as all the retired teachers who did the subbing said it wasn't worth it for $120 a day.

All that being said, subbing is a tough job. Kids act the worst for the sub.