Review: Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker, by Robby Denning

I got a pair of Hardscrabbles for Christmas and I am probably halfway through the break in period.

Really wavering about them and I keep going back and forth between selling them and keeping them, so I am wondering about some others experiences with mountaineering type boots. Most of my experience is with light hikers, Lowa Renegades being my favorite, so I realize it is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. That said having beat up my feet elk hunting a few times I do see some pros to a more supportive boot.

It's not so much the stiffness that bothers me, but the height which I guess is attributed to the thickness of the sole. The sole is so thick I feel like I am walking on high heels or something, and it really throws off my balance on uneven terrain. Really struggling walking over deadfall, rocks, and the like.

Questions for those with more experience than I, is that a common thing with mountaineering boots? To achieve a stiffer sole is it necessary for them to be so high? Or is that more unique to this particular model? I guess in that sense I am leaning toward selling mine because I just can't get imagine I'll get more comfortable walking in them. So my questions are more geared toward understanding if this stiffer style of boot in general is just not for me? Anything else I am missing in understanding this?
Lowa Renegades are my alltime favorite every day footwear in all but the hottest part of summer (and then too if I know I'll need them) I've found myself wearing them on less strenuous hunts instead of Tibets - I gave a ranch manager buddy a near new pair last year at hunt's end and he just told me he even wore them hunting late season cows at 9,000' (oh to be young again) I've been watching a close buddy wear his hardscrabbles all year at his mill then through hunting season and guiding elk hunters, he looks at me like I'm crazy if I suggest any other boot !

Meanlean

FNG
Now you can give us a report on the Crispi’s.
emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First week review:
Crispi Nevada/uninsulated/ size 48 (14 us)
So took the family on a week long outing. Decided to break in the new boots. In 4 days we hiked 23 miles with packs. Nothing too serious. One outing was 4300 vert in 6 miles roundtrip, and the most strenuous day.. Admittedly I was very tired, but my feet felt fine.

All said and done, the Nevadas were extremely comfortable. Having large feet, i always expect toe strike/ cramming. Not even the slightest bit of touching. Of course I lace them properly. It was generally warm and my feet were hot but not too noticeable until I slipped them off at camp. The boots breath well for leather.
The tread worked well in the scree and talus slopes. They excelled off trail in the sagebrush and kept my foot dry after slipping off the bank jumping a ranchers irrigation ditch.
Well traveled dirt paths were fine too.
If your looking for a light weight leather boot for support, i recommend these Nevadas. Im 6’6” 230lb. Lots of support. Pic attached

Attachments

• F5F9FE62-B7CA-4046-B33E-4FE14FDC55D9.jpeg
    F5F9FE62-B7CA-4046-B33E-4FE14FDC55D9.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 13