Robby's building a 6UM!

Can I ask, sincerely and with all respect, is there something you were expecting it would do that it doesn't?
Honestly I was expecting a ton more all the way around. With the way people talk about how amazing Cans are and even more so to hunt with them. I felt there was no gains only loses with it. With how much they cost, the added weight, the added length, and the stupid hoops we have to jump through to own one, I felt completely disappointed and let down. I want to be clear I'm not knocking tbac at all it is very well built and looks amazing but it just did nothing for me.
I built my 7prc with a 18" to run only with the ultra 7 on it. I put 30ish rounds through it and felt let down and bummed that I spent the money. I bought a srs muzzle brake as soon as I got home. It now sits in my safe and doesn't nothing at all other than collect dust.

I feel a longer barrel with a muzzle brake and foamy ear pro would have been a much better option, and it would have cost less gained velocity, better recoil reduction, and the same weight with the can on.

No disrespect to anyone who loves them. I just feel they very over rated.

Honestly I was expecting a ton more all the way around. With the way people talk about how amazing Cans are and even more so to hunt with them. I felt there was no gains only loses with it. With how much they cost, the added weight, the added length, and the stupid hoops we have to jump through to own one, I felt completely disappointed and let down. I want to be clear I'm not knocking tbac at all it is very well built and looks amazing but it just did nothing for me.
I built my 7prc with a 18" to run only with the ultra 7 on it. I put 30ish rounds through it and felt let down and bummed that I spent the money. I bought a srs muzzle brake as soon as I got home. It now sits in my safe and doesn't nothing at all other than collect dust.

I feel a longer barrel with a muzzle brake and foamy ear pro would have been a much better option, and it would have cost less gained velocity, better recoil reduction, and the same weight with the can on.

I don’t even own a suppressor however with just foam plugs in most muzzle breaks will still cause permanent hearing loss

I do agree with that 100%. That is how I feel about the suppressor. The suppressor sounded like shooting at the range with just foamy ear plugs in.
I’ve been on the fence about suppressors for the last few years and still haven’t been able to talk myself into or out of one. I imagine I’ll own one eventually to try out. However I refuse to have a muzzle break on my rifles.

I’ve been on the fence about suppressors for the last few years and still haven’t been able to talk myself into or out of one. I imagine I’ll own one eventually to try out. However I refuse to have a muzzle break on my rifles.
I can understand and respect that. I'm too the point where I feel that way about the suppressors. I'm not here to knock them or to talk someone out of owning them. I'm honestly trying to figure out what I'm missing with them. I only see down sides with no up sides. (And own one) I know that most people on here most likely don't share the same thoughts as I do. I also have owned 2 NX8's broke and had to be sent back for warranty. And the NX8's seem to be very popular on here.

h2so4

WKR
@Justincaseholsters I like the suppressors as I can shoot for an extended length of time with normal ear pro and not suffer the effects of repeated muzzle blast or the noise. I can also take a couple of shots without any ear pro and not damage hearing. I have a tbac ulta 5 on my kimber 6.5 and enjoy the heck out of it. I also have a SiCo hybrid that is heavy and long, it goes on my ARs or 30-06. The extra weight also helps with recoil.

I guess if you hate your ultra 9, you could sell it. PM incoming 🤣

@Justincaseholsters I like the suppressors as I can shoot for an extended length of time with normal ear pro and not suffer the effects of repeated muzzle blast or the noise. I can also take a couple of shots without any ear pro and not damage hearing. I have a tbac ulta 5 on my kimber 6.5 and enjoy the heck out of it. I also have a SiCo hybrid that is heavy and long, it goes on my ARs or 30-06. The extra weight also helps with recoil.

I guess if you hate your ultra 9, you could sell it. PM incoming 🤣
I can understand that completely. I just don't feel it was money well spent foamy ear pro for a couple shots I feel does the and and way cheaper. I was on the fence of getting the ultra 5 when I bought this one, but I'm sure if I'm disappointed in the 7 I really would have been with the 5.

It's a FDE ultra 7 30 cal.

h2so4

WKR
It’s more than just a few shots without ear pro, it’s the range session with drastically reduced concussive force. The few shots hunting is just icing on the cake.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Honest question. Why do you think that. I bought an Ultra 7 and I feel it was the worst money ever spent on gun. 6.5 creed, 7 prc, 7 rem and 30 nosler is what I'm using it on.

Because suppressors allow you to shoot an unlimited hunter of rounds in practice with just foam ear plugs or just muffs without any hearing damage whatsoever- you cannot do that with a bare muzzle with just one, and you can’t do it at all with a muzzle brake. An accidental or a couple shots while hunting can be taken with no damage to hearing, and without ear pro communication is clear and unfiltered. They remove 95+% of the muzzle blast and dust signature. They reduce recoil by 30’ish %, and slow the recoil impulse way down making the perceived recoil far less. Animals react far less to a suppressed shot than they do an unsuppressed shot allowing follow up shots much more often, and the surrounding animals do not react to hearing gun shots.

Cutting a few inches off the muzzle doesn’t change hit rates or max terminal range for nearly anyone, and the 8-10 ounces for a can is mostly offset by the 4-6 oz lost from the barrel.

Because suppressors allow you to shoot an unlimited hunter of rounds in practice with just foam ear plugs or just muffs without any hearing damage whatsoever- you cannot do that with a bare muzzle with just one, and you can’t do it at all with a muzzle brake. An accidental or a couple shots while hunting can be taken with no damage to hearing, and without ear pro communication is clear and unfiltered. They remove 95+% of the muzzle blast and dust signature. They reduce recoil by 30’ish %, and slow the recoil impulse way down making the perceived recoil far less. Animals react far less to a suppressed shot than they do an unsuppressed shot allowing follow up shots much more often, and the surrounding animals do not react to hearing gun shots.

Cutting a few inches off the muzzle doesn’t change hit rates or max terminal range for nearly anyone, and the 8-10 ounces for a can is mostly offset by the 4-6 oz lost from the barrel.
Thank you for your reply and time sir. I haven't hunted with the ultra 7 yet just range time so far. I will give it a go this deer and elk season.
Once again thank you

I wasn’t smitten with my first can either. Didn’t like the weight, length, mirage, possibility of coming loose, more shit to get carbon locked, etc. It spent a couple years mostly in the safe after the first year. Eventually, I got tired enough of the concussion from shots without that and all the compromises seemed small in comparison to the joy of shooting without that loud ass pop every round.

I wasn’t smitten with my first can either. Didn’t like the weight, length, mirage, possibility of coming loose, more shit to get carbon locked, etc. It spent a couple years mostly in the safe after the first year. Eventually, I got tired enough of the concussion from shots without that and all the compromises seemed small in comparison to the joy of shooting without that loud ass pop every round.
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one. All of those things are what have me not in love with suppressors. And to be completely honest I don't feel they are nearly as hearing safe as people say they are. I tried 3 rounds on my 7 prc without ears and that was a huge mistake. Yes way better than without the can but not good either.
I'm going to give it a honest try this hunting season, so hopefully it will get me seeing the light. If you don't mind what can or cans are you running? I picked the ultra 7 from reading online forums and it seemed lone a great first can.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one. All of those things are what have me not in love with suppressors. And to be completely honest I don't feel they are nearly as hearing safe as people say they are. I tried 3 rounds on my 7 prc without ears and that was a huge mistake. Yes way better than without the can but not good either.
I'm going to give it a honest try this hunting season, so hopefully it will get me seeing the light. If you don't mind what can or cans are you running? I picked the ultra 7 from reading online forums and it seemed lone a great first can.

Ultra 7, scythe, polonium k.

I still wear hearing pro always unless hunting and I think the appreciation comes more from the range than from hunting with one for me. Lot more carrying than shooting when hunting.

I also went from a lot of magnums to listing 3 of my 4 magnums for sale. Less powder and recoil seems to help a bit too.

Last edited:
Thank you
I will say I’m on the other side of the bench. I just got my first suppressor and can’t believe I went so long without. I got a DD enticer LTI and it is very quiet, the weight is fine (I’ll just do more squats), and the length isn’t my favorite but I’ll just get a shorter barrel. I love it.

I did go to a suppressed prs match this past weekend though and hearing some of the cans was pretty eye opening the range of suppression from suppressors. Some didn’t even sound like they muffled the shot even slightly.

6.5x284

WKR
I will say I’m on the other side of the bench. I just got my first suppressor and can’t believe I went so long without. I got a DD enticer LTI and it is very quiet, the weight is fine (I’ll just do more squats), and the length isn’t my favorite but I’ll just get a shorter barrel. I love it.

I did go to a suppressed prs match this past weekend though and hearing some of the cans was pretty eye opening the range of suppression from suppressors. Some didn’t even sound like they muffled the shot even slightly.
This is the camp I'm in. I have a TBAC U5, DD Enticer L-Ti, Lahar 30, and Lahar 30L and don't know how I didn't have any sooner than the last couple years! I wouldn't hunt without a can attached now. It gets a lot of hate on here, but love my U5 hunting.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Another ultra 5 fan. I have bigger cans but the 5 gets used the most on my hunting rifles. Suppresses pretty well considering it’s only 5” and 9oz. Even use it on a 20” 300prc Imp with 215s. I wouldn’t even consider going back to brakes after shooting suppressors for over a decade.

I'm to the point I'm not really sure I'd let anyone hunt with me not suppressed.

I mean I would for sure heckle the crap out of them and do everything I can to talk them into just using my rifle.

Its absolutely better in every way except recoil reduction.

Totally your perspective and that’s fine but every single person who has shot any of my guns with a suppressor has either went out and bought one immediately or has absolutely loved it. I will not hunt without one probably ever again.

Totally your perspective and that’s fine but every single person who has shot any of my guns with a suppressor has either went out and bought one immediately or has absolutely loved it. I will not hunt without one probably ever again.
The funny thing is I had the very opposite thing happen. I had 3 friends with me ( older guys 55+) and all thought the same as me and couldn't believe this is what everyone talking about. But I'm not here to disagree with anyone on Cans, I'm honestly trying to figure out how to love them like everyone else seems to.
Thank you to everyone who has given feedback.