Rokstok review thread

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
With the Rokstok thread being so cluttered, I was thinking a dedicated thread for people to talk about the function of the stock was in order so those just seeking functionality information do not have to sift through pages of discussion on paint colors, manufacturing lead times, Karens, Etc.

The OG Rokstok thread for none function related discussion.

The thread explaining the concept

I should have mine when I get home from work today. Plan is to go to the range with my 308 in factory plastic and shoot a 10-20 round group, then switch to the Rokstok and compare. I may even torture myself and not use a suppressor.

Currently, it has an SWFA fixed 6x on it, and at 100 yards it is rare for me to keep the target in the FOV during recoil.

Last edited:
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
To get it started, some quotes from the big thread.
Went out Wednesday evening, Thursday morning, and again this morning with the Rokstock. Long day planned for tomorrow as well with a buddy, predator hunting and long range shooting practice. I have 200 rounds through the gun with the Rokstock now, with likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 rounds planned for tomorrow.

About 3 dozen kills already on coyotes and antelope jacks from most of my go to field positions. Kills from 30ish yards all the way out to a coyote kill at 643 yards, steel and paper targets out to 950 yards so far (tomorrow will be cross canyon past 1,200 yards).

The stock is incredibly easy to get behind. For those who had concerns about "adapting" to an "extreme" negative comb and flat bottom rifle stock, stop being concerned immediately. Every single field position, including off hand shots (2 kills on rabbits off hand at 30ish and 60ish yards) feels very intuitive. Tracking moving targets both free hand and from built field positions is excellent.

The stock shouldering and building positions is very natural feeling, and if I'm being honest, feels how a rifle stock should feel. It immediately puts your body and hand in the proper position for quick target acquisition and killing. It sits perfectly in the shoulder pocket and "cheek weld" is spot on every time (Tikka UM Low Rings). I am typically a longer length of pull shooter and I will not be making any modifications to the production stock. Spartan adapter fits perfect with both my long and short bipods.

I never really had much trouble "spotting shots" or issues with a ton of of muzzle rise with my Tikka .260 shooting 129 grain bullets with other stocks. I do prefer shooting my .243's and .223's over the .260's and 6.5CM's though. What I will say is the rifle in general is more shootable, and feels more like shooting my Tikka .243 than a 6.5 variant rifle, when to comes to shoulder punch, ability to maintain sight picture in awkward field positions, and how much the rifle wants to "jump" when you don't get an absolutely perfect shoulder pocket/square body position. My wife is going to love this stock on her .243 hunting rifle.

Various field positions used for kills and target shooting...

Off hood of vehicle with spartan short bipod. Works excellent with no rear rest (using left hand), small UM bag as a rear rest, puffy wadded up as rear rest, UM molinator, and bino harness, etc.
View attachment 709897

Prone with short bipod or UM Molinator (V shape down) up front. Again, works excellent with any sort of rear rest or no rear rest (this is the position that many were potentially concerned with). I killed two coyotes back to back in this exact position below (270 yards and then his buddy ran roughly 150 yards diagonally left to right before stopping and then dying; Maven SHR MIL reticle hold for a 350 yard shot). Practice judging distances while maintaining sight picture folks!

View attachment 709898

Prone shooting off pack. Works as expected, zero fuss. Stacking bags on top of pack for more height works great. Various rear rests used with no issues.

View attachment 709895

Seated position shots with long Spartan up front are very effective for killing and tracking moving targets. The Rokstock is by far my favorite stock I've used for these shots so far. Whether using legs/core only for support or adding the pack into the mix for longer shots, the stock works great. Kneeling shots using pack as a rest works excellent as well.

View attachment 709896

Oh and for you bench rest shooters, do not fret, the stock just plain works even on a bench or table setup (always feels weird for me to shoot like this these days though).

View attachment 709894

TLDR: The stock flat out works as expected. It's the easiest hunting stock to shoulder and get behind with no fuss that I've used. Ergonomics, grip, cheek weld, shoulder pocket, trigger reach, and mitigating muzzle rise are all the best of any general purpose lightweight hunting stock that I've ever shot. There is zero concern from any field position on being able to make a shot and be comfortable (no dreaded "learning curve" or "compromises" to shoot a stock "with this shape"). Buy one and go use the thing!

Twelve year old son had no issues using the Rokstok on a T3X 6.5cm. He was ringing steel at 200 with ease from bench, and then with bipod and tripod. Ergonomics worked for both of us.View attachment 711025View attachment 711026

Grip to trigger on the eh1 is good, rok is slightly better. Eh1 butt height is good, rok is better. View attachment 711818

Grip on eh1 is good, but a little thick, apparent when you hold the rok.more neutral, no lateral pressure or wanting to turn your hand in. The clearance is something I’ve never really felt, it’s very slim, and just not bulky in the grip area and it feels very good to me. I can really hold the rifle by the grip, and not just be kind of holding/touching onto the side/front of the grip area like with a thick grip. But, I have relatively small hands so I could see how a big mitted guy may dislike that. View attachment 711817

Eh1 forend is good for a lr stock for holding off hand, but rok is sculpted a little more, little more curvature, it’s better and feels more like a sporter stock here in a good way. Like the eh1 is a lr stock you can hold offhand fine and no issues, but the rok is made to be shot offhand as well. Slightly slimmer, slightly sportierView attachment 711816

Grip/forend texturing is just and absolute win. Eh1 texturing is there but is slick, rok texturing is not sandpaper but provides a lot more grounded feel. They nailed the texture, and it’s a bigger deal than I expected.

I like my eh1 and I think it’s the second best tikka stock on the market. All the little things and the extra 7 ounces means as long as the rok holds up as I shoot it I’ll sell the eh1

View attachment 712308
View attachment 712309It’s worth the $20. All my rokstoks will have one

I picked up the ready to ship RokStok 6.5prc w the CarbonSix barrel. Shot it yesterday quick with an educated guess for loads. Mounted the scope and bore sighted (which is a wee bit of a Rokstok twister game now) but that clearly didn’t matter, and didn’t touch the scope after that. These are the 1st 15rds, no scope zeroing shots or load testing. Like Form states, a gun shoots or it doesn’t, so my work is done. Tomorrow I’ll do a 10 or 20rd group w the 147s and 156s, confirm to 1000yds and then it’ll be done.

View attachment 713009View attachment 713015

12/21 order with no changes and two color tear pattern. Factory inlet has plenty of room for total free float in the center of the channel.
@grizz19 I did get a call to confirm colors.
Grip texturing is great but no rounds through it yet. Atlasworx bottom metal went in perfectly
Low rings on a 20 moa rail seems perfect for me.
View attachment 713663View attachment 713664

For anyone else that has this issue. I was struggling with being unable to latch my factory tikka mag into the bottom metal today. The mag latch was sticking and wouldn't retain the msg even though the mag was fully inserting.

I called UM and they suggested I look at the mag latch, and that sometimes a burr on the latch would drag it on the bottom metal especially with a tight inlet.

Turns out it’s dumber than that and I just didn’t notice that the little latch retaining pin had walked out when I installed. This made the whole thing bind up in the inlet and pinch the mag latch so it wouldn’t move

Mag latch retaining pin
View attachment 714438View attachment 714437

My dummy award
View attachment 714436

Anyway problem solved, UM was very helpful with a quick call.

ElPollo

WKR
I would love to hear from @mxgsfmdpx on a comparison between the RokStok and the Stocky’s VG Hunter stock with regard to muzzle rise, recoil control, spotting your shots, and how both perform for positional shooting other than prone. I’ve seen his recent post in the Maven RS 1.2 thread, know he has a couple of sweet Tikkas set up with each stock, and have seen evidence that he is roaming the desert and reeking havoc on coyotes and jackrabbits with them. I have a VG Hunter on one of mine that I really like. Is the RokStok an improvement for you? If so how much and what specifically?

Edit: Oh hey, I’m a dumbass. It’s copied into the first post. Thanks @Marbles. Missed that in the RokStok thread. Holy cow is that other thread a mess with all the whining about delivery times and whether or not the cerakote matches someone’s preferred nail polish/threadlocker color, etc. I’m glad there is another thread for stuff about actual use of the stock.

Last edited:

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I would love to hear from @mxgsfmdpx on a comparison between the RokStok and the Stocky’s VG Hunter stock with regard to muzzle rise, recoil control, spotting your shots, and how both perform for positional shooting other than prone. I’ve seen his recent post in the Maven RS 1.2 thread, know he has a couple of sweet Tikkas set up with each stock, and have seen evidence that he is roaming the desert and reeking havoc on coyotes and jackrabbits with them. I have a VG Hunter on one of mine that I really like. Is the RokStok an improvement for you? If so how much and what specifically?

Edit: Oh hey, I’m a dumbass. It’s copied into the first post. Thanks @Marbles. Missed that in the RokStok thread. Holy cow is that other thread a mess with all the whining about delivery times and whether or not the cerakote matches someone’s preferred nail polish/threadlocker color, etc. I’m glad there is another thread for stuff about actual use of the stock.
I used my vg Hunter for the majority of shooting at the S2HU. I was able to bounce back and forth several times comparing my rifle to Forms in a rokstok. I saw a huge improvement in just the feel and comfort of the rokstok. The forend fit my hand better holding it and it seemed to sit and stay very nice on a front bag being a little more rounded. The grip shape and trigger reach is much better than the vg for my hands. It seems thinner and just fits for me. Every time I grip it my hand goes to the same spot and my thumb always seems to land neutral right on the back of the bolt shroud. The flat toe is much easier to hold and I think it’s because it’s thinner than the vg if your clamping it with your index finger and thumb, then using your other fingers to grip a bag or other rear rest. As for being flat and helping with better sight picture through the shot I haven’t shot mine with a magnum rifle yet, but will here soon to try and compare. The comb is much easier to get into and I feel I am getting into the gun a lot more repeatable every time. I notice it more when shooting kneeling with a front support and from standing. I think the comb above bore really does eliminate a lot of muzzle rise in any position. I shot my rokstok last weekend along with a Xlr 4.0 and hnt26. The rokstok is by far a better more comfortable field gun. I have really liked the chassis mainly for the adjustability and folding for backpack hunting but my future new builds will be in rokstoks with shorter barrels. The ergonomics of this stock just work.IMG_5793.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Just wrapping up a 14 hour work day, and have another one slated for tomorrow. Friday is a short 8-10 hour work day with an evening of shooting. I'll try to get something typed up Saturday night when I get back from scouting and then shooting/predator hunting. Will take a bit longer than a normal post replying to something random, which I do often haha.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Some comparison to factory. This factory stock has the vertical grip, barrel channel sanded out, and 3 flush cups installed with original sling studs removed and holes filled.

Obviously a bare carbon rokstok, has a spartan/pic and two flush cups, proof sendero barrel channel.

Weight (factory recoil lug in factory stock and MT lug that came with it in Rokstok)
20240521_175739.jpg20240521_175727.jpg

Top of barrel channels are parallel
20240521_175853.jpg

Side by side
20240521_173610.jpg20240521_173638.jpg20240521_173712.jpg

20240521_174919.jpg
First impression is that the Rokstok feels better, both in off hand and sitting positions, but I'm only dry firing. I'm wishing I had ordered two.

Last edited:

brockel

WKR
Anyone have a smaller female see how the stock fits them yet? Was hoping mine would be here soon so I could see how it fits my 10 year old daughter but not sure if I should just order another one now so hopefully it is here by October and just hope it fits her good.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Anyone have a smaller female see how the stock fits them yet? Was hoping mine would be here soon so I could see how it fits my 10 year old daughter but not sure if I should just order another one now so hopefully it is here by October and just hope it fits her good.
My wife is 5’7” and 115 lbs. She wants a Rokstock for her .243 to replace her current stock. She said it was easier to shoot my .260 in the Rokstock than her .243 in the factory Tikka stock.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Have identical Tikka setups, one is a .223 in a Stockys VG2, the other is a .260 in a Rokstock, which used to live in a Stockys VG2.

Long story short, my .223 will be going into a Rokstock once it delivers. My wife also wants a Rokstock for her .243. I will also be ordering a Rokstock for my .243 which needs a new barrel (may turn it into another 6mm chambering but we shall see).

The Rokstock is easily the best all purpose hunting stock you can buy right now. It’s an improved version of my old favorite stock (the Sako carbon wolf stock).

As far as comparing to the VG2… Grip and trigger reach are way better. Manipulating the bolt and safety and then retuning my hand to firing position is more fluid and repeatable. Shooting from all field positions is just better. The rifle immediately goes properly into shoulder pocket no matter how awkward. You don’t fight the stock, it just does what it’s supposed to. Muzzle rise is mitigated enough on my .260 to be noticeable. I never had an issue spotting shots with this gun in the VG2, other than extreme downhill and uphill awkward positions. But again, it is noticeably better.

The VG2 is still an excellent stock and worked well for me for thousands of rounds through multiple guns. It won’t hold you back from being proficient in the field at all. The Rokstock just does everything a bit better, and “better” enough to me to replace all my field gun stocks to use them.

IMG_7377.jpeg

ElPollo

WKR
Have identical Tikka setups, one is a .223 in a Stockys VG2, the other is a .260 in a Rokstock, which used to live in a Stockys VG2.

Long story short, my .223 will be going into a Rokstock once it delivers. My wife also wants a Rokstock for her .243. I will also be ordering a Rokstock for my .243 which needs a new barrel (may turn it into another 6mm chambering but we shall see).

The Rokstock is easily the best all purpose hunting stock you can buy right now. It’s an improved version of my old favorite stock (the Sako carbon wolf stock).

As far as comparing to the VG2… Grip and trigger reach are way better. Manipulating the bolt and safety and then retuning my hand to firing position is more fluid and repeatable. Shooting from all field positions is just better. The rifle immediately goes properly into shoulder pocket no matter how awkward. You don’t fight the stock, it just does what it’s supposed to. Muzzle rise is mitigated enough on my .260 to be noticeable. I never had an issue spotting shots with this gun in the VG2, other than extreme downhill and uphill awkward positions. But again, it is noticeably better.

The VG2 is still an excellent stock and worked well for me for thousands of rounds through multiple guns. It won’t hold you back from being proficient in the field at all. The Rokstock just does everything a bit better, and “better” enough to me to replace all my field gun stocks to use them.

View attachment 714999
I agree that the grip/trigger reach is the biggest shortcoming of the Stocky’s VG. I haven’t used a RokStok yet, but also agree that the flat toe and forearm and forward sloping comb should all just make shooting from a rest a bit flatter in terms of recoil and improve your ablility to stay in the gun and spot shots.

I am interested in whether or not those benefits will result in RokStok acceptance outside of the Rokslide community. Most gun people are more about looks and tradition than performance and the looks are definitely non-traditional. It will also be interesting to hear reports from people who use heavier recoiling cartridges to see the limits of the RokStok design. Good ergos can only go so far on recoil without adding weight.

Compared to my EH1 the areas I really like are:

Grip size - slimmer and smaller, slightly shorter to trigger (eh1 isn’t bad). The eh1 like many lr stocks haha a very large palm/grip area. The rokstok does not and it’s hard to explain that in words but it’s like the stability difference holding a wide can where you’re hand is super open vs a thin one where you have more purchase.

Texturing - eh1 has splatter or whatever in gripping areas that’s something, but not much. The surface itself is still too smooth. Grip Texturing on rokstok is fantastic

High butt - again eh1 is better than average here being only 3/8 below boreline iirc, but prone the rokstok is still noticeable in a good way

Forend shape - feels like a sporter stock offhand, while still being flat enough for a riding bag, nailed it for a lr hunting stock that will need to be used offhand as well.

Pic rail is not a snag point, this is minor but is really nice for fit and finish

I think my eh1 was the best stock on the market before this so I’m really happy the rokstok is improving on it for me.

I shot my rokstok last weekend along with a Xlr 4.0 and hnt26. The rokstok is by far a better more comfortable field gun. I have really liked the chassis mainly for the adjustability and folding for backpack hunting but my future new builds will be in rokstoks with shorter barrels. The ergonomics of this stock just work.
@T_Widdy can you expand on the comparison between the Rokstok and the XLR? I'm sold on the Rokstok's ergonomics but after my hunt last fall in NW Montana, hiking through a lot of thick timber, I feel like the folding stock is a huge benefit, and it's making me take a second look at the XLR. It also seems like I can achieve a "negative comb" on the chassis by raising the recoil pad up on the buttstock so that it's above boreline (at least that's what Ryan seemed to imply on the S2H Podcast #39).

EDIT: Please and Thank you!

Last edited:

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
All of the Stockys stocks I’ve held have a thin, cheap feel at the buttstock material in comparison to AG, Peak 44 and others. How does the Rokstok compare?

03mossy

WKR
All of the Stockys stocks I’ve held have a thin, cheap feel at the buttstock material in comparison to AG, Peak 44 and others. How does the Rokstok compare?
"Cheap feel" would be one of the last ways I'd ever use to describe the Rokstok. Everything about it screams high quality. Feels the same to me as my AG Alpine Hunter did.

BBob

WKR
"Cheap feel" would be one of the last ways I'd ever use to describe the Rokstok. Everything about it screams high quality. Feels the same to me as my AG Alpine Hunter did.
Are the buttstocks hollow or are they filled? Stocky’s are hollow and are a bit “rattley” sounding. I don’t care but I could see where one might describe it as a bit “cheap” sounding.

03mossy

WKR
I'm not sure. I plan on shooting it for the first time on Friday so I can look then.

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
@T_Widdy can you expand on the comparison between the Rokstok and the XLR? I'm sold on the Rokstok's ergonomics but after my hunt last fall in NW Montana, hiking through a lot of thick timber, I feel like the folding stock is a huge benefit, and it's making me take a second look at the XLR. It also seems like I can achieve a "negative comb" on the chassis by raising the recoil pad up on the buttstock so that it's above boreline (at least that's what Ryan seemed to imply on the S2H Podcast #39).

EDIT: Please and Thank you!
The Xlr is a pretty decent chassis. Here is my opinion on the pros and cons that I’ve come to now. My hunting strategy has changed from always trying the set up and shoot off a bipod to shooting in any field condition quicker now.
Pros:
-Folding stock for packing in and out but it is a wide footprint folded
-lightweight and durable.
-solid action connection and barrel clearance
-built in full length arca (not useful for me anymore)

Cons-
- freezing cold in the winter and hot in the summer
- the buttstock with the bag rider hangs up on lots of things while carrying
- I cannot cycle the bolt as fast
- under stress I grip the handgrip, unstressed I keep my thumb to the side
- tikka magazine selection sucks
-even with the bag rider there is not much for rear rest support.

You can adjust the comb pretty decent but I have built larger diameter washers to hold the comb from being pushed down easily. If you want to raise the buttpad to be above bore I would order a shorter custom stock from smoke that is shorter to account for a raised additional plate that the buttpad can attach to. I have a mdt folder on one of mine and the lop is just a little to long on that one with the 12 1/2 smoke buttstock. If you put an adapter on that one to raise the buttpad it would definitely have to long of lop for me.

I have 3 of them and won’t sell them. I just won’t bring them on most of my hunts anymore. Depending on how you hunt they can be great! I just feel I shoot the rokstok better already and more repeatable from different positions. With a rokstok, 20” barrel and a 6” can in a stone glacier gun bearer I feel it’s acceptable for me to pack in with and not be sticking way high or to low on my pack.

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Are the buttstocks hollow or are they filled? Stocky’s are hollow and are a bit “rattley” sounding. I don’t care but I could see where one might describe it as a bit “cheap” sounding.
They seem to have a different foam fill now that is more dense, it’s much better than my Stockys vg as for the hollow sound.