RokStok

Have you guys spent any time behind it yet, is there any tweeking to be done, or is version one the one?

I like it, can’t wait to get one. Looks like low rings will indeed work?

@Ryan Avery and @Formidilosus does the top of the buttpad make contact when laying prone? This section really it’s doing anything in this photo, and that’s the whole part above the bore line.

View attachment 636462

Good point. My understanding of the physics at play is it's not so much how high the but pad is but how high the support/resistance to recoil is in relation to the bore. If one moves a butt pad up higher but still mounts a rifle at the same height in relation to the bore (just now further down the pad), I don't see how it would make a difference in muzzle rise? I imagine just having the pad higher may result in shouldering different in some positions?

Fowl Play

WKR
Good point. My understanding of the physics at play is it's not so much how high the but pad is but how high the support/resistance to recoil is in relation to the bore. If one moves a butt pad up higher but still mounts a rifle at the same height in relation to the bore (just now further down the pad), I don't see how it would make a difference in muzzle rise? I imagine just having the pad higher may result in shouldering different in some positions?
Correct, at least from this photo, nothing above this approximate line does anything to control recoil. It looks like you would actually need to use very high rings to lower the whole rifle in relation to your shoulder in order to get the portion of the stock that would counteract the moment (muzzle rise) to do anything. But would be good to see it in other positions.

IMG_0125.jpeg

Correct, at least from this photo, nothing above this approximate line does anything to control recoil. It looks like you would actually need to use very high rings to lower the whole rifle in relation to your shoulder in order to get the portion of the stock that would counteract the moment (muzzle rise) to do anything. But would be good to see it in other positions.

View attachment 636515
That Line looks a bit low on the bolt to me, shouldn’t it center the bolt body?

Anyways, prone is always where buttpads are obviously too low for me, it’s rarely off hand

wysongdog

WKR
Ok I’m sure I missed it somewhere. But how do I preorder one? Going to put it on my 22 for a trainer

Fowl Play

WKR

Anyways, prone is always where buttpads are obviously too low for me, it’s rarely off hand
My intent was to try to draw a line parallel with the barrel passing through the last supported section of the stock on the shoulder. Nothing above that point on the shoulder/buttpad is doing anything, at least for muzzle rise sake.

My intent was to try to draw a line parallel with the barrel passing through the last supported section of the stock on the shoulder. Nothing above that point on the shoulder/buttpad is doing anything, at least for muzzle rise sake.

Yeah, i think he's just saying directly behind bore would be even higher than your line indicates.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Yes, prone is where an elevated buttpad makes the most difference to me, and where th change interests me for my 7mm. And, higher rings to get up as the stock moves down.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
To all….

The stock is being designed for shooting- specifically field shooting with 7-9lb rifles.
There is no perfect stock- what is tailor made for standing offhand, will be compromised in every other position. Likewise what is tailored to slung prone, will be compromised in every other position. This stock is being tailored to field shooting with 7-9lb rifles (yes lighter and heavier is fine), from prone, sitting, kneeling- especially using improvised rests, I.E., backpack, hiking sticks, rocks, logs, etc. It is absolutely good in standing as well.

I have written many times about what a stock should be for field shooting and hunting- I haven’t deviated from that.