RVing off grid in bear country - buy a 10mm or a 460 S&W ? Considering the legalities of semiauto in all 48 states.

Sudsy

FNG
We have a lifted 4x4 27' Leprechaun we plan on doing an "explore America" trip with.
We will be doing some off grid, likely some in bear country.
I already have a Keltec K7 bullpup 12 gauge for around the campsite but I'd like to get a handgun to carry for hiking and to have on me at all times offgrid.

My biggest worry, and the one I can't seem to get a clear answer on, has to do with the legalities of traveling with a semiauto. Obviously it would be unloaded and I'd even go so far as to lock the slide in a separate case while traveling though 2nd amendment unfriendly states like Illinois and Ca.
But because of these unfriendly states I'm leaning towards the revolver - but I do like the extra capacity of the 10mm

Also for background, I'm a proud Fudd, love my 357 mag revolver and lever actions, I'm comfortably proficient with them, 1911 45 acp as well - but I want to be able to send more lead at a faster speed in case a grizz wants to bite my face off (yes I just read that article in this months American Hunter).

Revolver is the best choice here, right ??

Illinois has changed their laws in you are in the vehicle you are allowed to have the pistol accessible except for a few counties as always double check but I believe that changed a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
A 460 is a great hunting revolver....but would suck for defense. It's slow, low firepower, massive muzzle flash, loud as hell and viscous recoil.

If you're hell bent on a revolver, a 329pd is fast and powerful as well as light enough to pack.

I live in bear country and carry a 9 or 40 quite often....and I have killed a bear at 10 feet with a 10.

Go with the 10mm. Just need to have the pistol in an immediate inaccessible location, like the trunk of a car or one of your outside compartments of an RV, and separated from the ammo in those states. I keep mine in an outside compartment in my motorhome and the ammo in a drawer in the bedroom......but only when I'm going thru anti-gun states. I too just bought one of those keltecs for my motorhome...just in case I need to stay over in one of those states. If backpacking in bear country, throw that keltec in the bag or strap it to the outside of the bag...stoked with slugs. Never know if the other person might need it to shoot that bear off of you. Its easier to shoot in a panic mode.

For reference, I shoot a lot of pistol each year. Having said that, although I love the large bore pistol, I have a substantially higher level of confidence in my ability to shoot accurate follow up shots with a semi auto.

With a revolver, I feel I would get 2-3 well aimed shots in five seconds at best. Semi auto, at least double that. I choose the 10mm over my 44.

Which do you shoot better?

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Also for background, I'm a proud Fudd, love my 357 mag revolver and lever actions, I'm comfortably proficient with them, 1911 45 acp as well
If I recall a 1911 in 10mm is legal in all states.

FYI "fudd" is a gun owner who believes in gun control.

Macintosh

WKR
Man, given what I know about how firearm-unfriendly some of these states are, Id get some good insurance and legal advice from a lawyer, and not bring a expensive or sentimental gun. Probably nothing happens, but one overzealous traffic stop, and in a state like NY or Ma or CT you are in a world of legal hurt. IMO if bears are your concern it’s highly questionable if its even worth bringing it with you anywhere there isnt a legit grizzly issue.

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
FYI "fudd" is a gun owner who believes in gun control.

No it's not, a Fudd is the opposite of a Tactard, would rather a revolver than a Glock and a double barrel over an AR.
Nothing to do with gun control - Elmer was pro gun

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
A 460 is a great hunting revolver....but would suck for defense. It's slow, low firepower, massive muzzle flash, loud as hell and viscous recoil.

If you're hell bent on a revolver, a 329pd is fast and powerful as well as light enough to pack.
I haven't really put much thought into .44, and the Ruger Super Redhawk is one of my favorite guns that I've shot (but never owned)

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
but one overzealous traffic stop, and in a state like NY or Ma or CT you are in a world of legal hurt.
And NJ, Illinois, Maryland, Washington State, Oregon, Ca., even NM and Va are starting to tighten down.
Yup, revolver is the right choice.

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
Slow ? I'm not sure what you mean there.
Slow on the draw? That would be a matter of the barrel length.
Slow meaning regaining control between shots? (I get that)

I would think the loud and the flash would be a good thing even in the case of a miss to scare a critter off.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
No it's not, a Fudd is the opposite of a Tactard, would rather a revolver than a Glock and a double barrel over an AR.
Nothing to do with gun control - Elmer was pro gun
Never heard of it that way, glad to hear you support gun rights.
There's plenty of references to "fudd" being someone who owns hunting guns but doesn't support gun rights. Might want to check those reference out.

dictionary.com_definition of fudd

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I thought Fudd was defined as an old guy who thinks .30-06 is better than 6.5 Creedmoor.
Well were talking about social archetype's so maybe some people think of it that way.
But Ive never heard of it that way there are plenty of references out there in the pro gun community that disparage people as "fudds".

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
Interesting, I've never once heard the term used the way it's listed in those links - just a guy who prefers lever, pump, revolver, to semi.
Do you know a single active gun owner who is indifferent to gun rights? I certainly don't and I live in NJ !!
And yes, 30-06 is better that 6.5 Creedmore LOL

Would a Garand be a Fudd gun? I just sold my AR-10 to fund the purchase, pick it up on Monday !!!!

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
And yes, 30-06 is better that 6.5 Creedmore LOL
I threw that in there just to smack the beehive :ROFLMAO:

This summer I picked up a XD 10mm and shot it back-to-back with my Anaconda and the 10 was much more manageable for me. Also shot my brother in law's Sig XTen and liked it even better than the XD. Ill bet there are 10 round mags available if you have any trips planned in unfriendly states.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I've never once heard the term used the way it's listed in those links - just a guy who prefers lever, pump, revolver, to semi....

Would a Garand be a Fudd gun?
Actual gun preference isnt a fudd, its when someone thinks gun rights doesn't apply to modern self defense guns or all you "need" is gandads 38 special and the 2A doesn't apply to modern guns like Glocks or ARs etc.

Anyways, for your trip Id get a 1911 chambered in 10mm. Not only are 1911s good shooters I think they are legal in all states. A 1911 only has 8 rds but mag changes will be much faster than reloading a revolver and a lot of people find the 10mm way more manageable than a big bore revolver like a 44mag or 454... Thing is with bear defense, pistols really are not the best gun no matter what caliber. Reloading could easily come into play.

Here's a true story about a 10mm vs black bear.

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
Anyways, for your trip Id get a 1911 chambered in 10mm. Not only are 1911s good shooters I think they are legal in all states. A 1911 only has 8 rds but mag changes will be much faster than reloading a revolver and a lot of people find the 10mm way more manageable than a big bore revolver like a 44mag or 454... Thing is with bear defense, pistols really are not the best gun no matter what caliber. Reloading could easily come into play.
If I go 10mm it would be a 1911, Stubby fingers here, have issues with the thick grips that come with double stacks.
My Rock Island 1911 in 45acp fits me perfectly
And at the price of 10mm I definitely will be rolling my own. Last I looked they were pushing .80 cents a round. I already cast and reload so it's a no brainer

And I will never again refer to my self as a Fudd
Too bad it doesn't mean exactly what I thought it meant. The Fudd vs Tactard thing has been entertaining between myself and one of my regular shooting partners - who's full bore tactical.

Wrench

WKR
Slow ? I'm not sure what you mean there.
Slow on the draw? That would be a matter of the barrel length.
Slow meaning regaining control between shots? (I get that)

I would think the loud and the flash would be a good thing even in the case of a miss to scare a critter off.
A 460 is going to be a 4 plus pound gun. It's huge. The muzzle flash is blinding in everything but the brightest sunlight. If you have never fired a 460 you can't appreciate the muzzle blast and noise. It's dangerously loud.

A recoil eating auto will crush the 460 on follow up shots from anyone aside from Jerry Miculek.

I love my 460 but it's only place in my lineup is to hunt or target shoot. For defense, it sucks to carry and is slow to get on target.

Shooting in poor light is something everyone should consider. A 10mm loaded hot with #9 and blue dot will be close in terms of velocity....but certainly not in muzzle flash.