RVing off grid in bear country - buy a 10mm or a 460 S&W ? Considering the legalities of semiauto in all 48 states.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
If I go 10mm it would be a 1911, Stubby fingers here, have issues with the thick grips that come with double stacks.
My Rock Island 1911 in 45acp fits me perfectly
And at the price of 10mm I definitely will be rolling my own. Last I looked they were pushing .80 cents a round. I already cast and reload so it's a no brainer

And I will never again refer to my self as a Fudd
Too bad it doesn't mean exactly what I thought it meant. The Fudd vs Tactard thing has been entertaining between myself and one of my regular shooting partners - who's full bore tactical.
It is fun to rib the tactard crowd though I fully support them and learn from their skills.

Aside from being Gods gift to the gun world nothing fits the hand better than a single stack 1911. There are plenty of original full pressure 10mm factory bear defense ammo out there but they are even more expensive. If you roll your own be careful not to exceed saami pressures thats bit some handloaders (and some factory ammo companies) a few times.
RIA makes some good ones. Tsias makes a really nice commander sized 10mm which is unique called the Yukon Carry C10.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
If I go 10mm it would be a 1911, Stubby fingers here, have issues with the thick grips that come with double stacks.
My Rock Island 1911 in 45acp fits me perfectly
And at the price of 10mm I definitely will be rolling my own. Last I looked they were pushing .80 cents a round. I already cast and reload so it's a no brainer

And I will never again refer to my self as a Fudd
Too bad it doesn't mean exactly what I thought it meant. The Fudd vs Tactard thing has been entertaining between myself and one of my regular shooting partners - who's full bore tactical.

Rock river makes one. Its ok. Its much heavier then my glock 20.

Unless you want an excuse to buy a new range toy, if I were you I'd be fine with either the .45acp 1911 or .357 revolver.

Ammoland has a running count of every defensive use of a handgun against bears, even 9mm are usually effective. The key is having a gun you can shoot well ready to go ASAP, not a big caliber:

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you want an excuse to buy a new range toy, if I were you I'd be fine with either the .45acp 1911 or .357 revolver.

Ammoland has a running count of every defensive use of a handgun against bears, even 9mm are usually effective. The key is having a gun you can shoot well ready to go ASAP, not a big caliber:

The 45 with a hardcast or penetrator bullet would be very comparable to a 10mm.
The damage a regular 45 FMJ range ammo does on its own is impressive.

OP
Sudsy

Sudsy

FNG
The 45 with a hardcast or penetrator bullet would be very comparable to a 10mm.
The damage a regular 45 FMJ range ammo does on its own is impressive.
Great video, thanks!
I already have an RIA .45 1911 (base model) that I'm very comfortable with and is capable of handling +P rounds.
I cast and reload for it and have a lot of components for practice and plinking - obviously I would load FMJ for the bear woods.
This gives me an excuse to upgrade the gun.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Great video, thanks!
I already have an RIA .45 1911 (base model) that I'm very comfortable with and is capable of handling +P rounds.
I cast and reload for it and have a lot of components for practice and plinking - obviously I would load FMJ for the bear woods.
This gives me an excuse to upgrade the gun.
Note: if you get a 10mm 1911 and handload hot for it maybe consider getting one with a ramped supported chamber barrel.
Theres no saami chamber spec for "+P" ammo in either caliber and this continually gets handloaders guns blown up in 10mm.