Ryan hates the .284

Well, I love the .284 case! There are many others who are partial to it also. Examples: Cortina .284 Shehane, .284 Wheeler, LR John, John Hoover, and a myriad of F-Class shooters and Wildcatters who have morphed that wonderful case into everything imaginable.
My experience is limited to the 6-284, 6.5-284, 6.5 Super and 6-284 short, but I know for a fact that there are 25-284's and 30-284's out there. Think about it, how can you not love the rebated rim, .473 bolt and .500 case base? This cartridge internally covers such a wide range of bullets and powders, the internal space in relation to external geometry IMO makes it the perfect launch pad for multiple calibers.

Good Brass is available from Lapua, Winchester, Norma and Nosler. Lapua is definitely the best brass.
The only complaint is that my 12 twist Shilen 6mm-284 burned the throat and fire cracked faster than anything I ever shot. That first 600 shots sure was fun though, it shot bug holes prior to spraying minute of ground hog accuracy.

Since I'm on a rant...Let me tell you that the 6.5 Creedmor kind of irritates me. I'll qualify here; I am so frustrated going to Sporting Good stores and all they have on the shelves are rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmor. The majority of ammo on the shelf is 6.5 Creedmor or .223
I feel like the Firearms Industry and the Ammunition Manufacturers doubled down and said "Hey lets mass market and force feed this 6.5 Creedmor thing to the Public".

I recieved my first 6.5 bore for Christmas in 1982, an .264 Winchester Magnum. Obviously I am very biased and partial to the 6.5 bore as I have quite a few in different configurations.

After taking a long hard look at the 6.5 Creedmor, I have concluded the following:
- The 6.5 Creedmore doesn't have any more magic than.....
6.5-300 Weatherby, .264 Winchester Magnum, 6.5-06, 6.5/.284, 6.5x55, 6.5x47 and too many .264 bore wildcats to mention. OOps, forgot the .260 Remington.

The one and only thing I find interesting is a small primer pocket.
Obviously there are balistic over achievers here that out perform the 6.5 Creedmor; I believe all of these listed above are commercial SAAMI chamberings BUT, I challenge you to find ammo due to the doubling down and mass marketing of manufacturing.

So to bring this "soap box rant" full circle.......Ryan, the .284 is beautiful,awesome, Competition proven and perhaps you should focus the hate at the redundant, underperforming, Industry Force Fed , Mass Marketed 6.5 Creedmor.

OP
P
It's Creedmoor! 🤣
I wondered who would catch it. Creedmor isnt the only one, I know how that grinds the Creed gears. For the record, I think the totally legit Creed is the 22 Creedmoor and Creedmoor Sports should have put more emphasis on that as a dedicated Varmint cartridge.

7mm-08

WKR
I'm sure this is a tounge in cheek post, but I'll bite. Please indulge me here - there's no grand conspiracy by industry to forcefeed the 6.5 Creedmoor on anyone. The manufacturing of ammunition is a business venture that responds (in appropriate market fashion) to supply and demand. Trust me, if ammunition manufacturers believed they could sell more product by cranking out gobs of .416 Rigby ammunition, it would follow that market trend.

If you have anyone to blame for the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor, blame Hornady and Creedmoor Sports AND (primarily) the general public, which has embraced and made extremely popular the round (and for good reason). The 6.5 Creedmoor is a very mild-mannered cartridge that has an excellent accuracy reputation that is justified. It is friendly to all sorts of shooters and it has adequate downrange performance to do the job for which it is intended - not the job some wish it were intended, such as hunting of dangerous bears. If you're interested in chasing the oddball calibers you mentioned in your post, then have at it. And, best of luck in your pursuit. Just don't expect the general public to jump on your bandwagon.

Last, I think we can both agree that the .284 case is a great one. Thanks for reminding everyone of its great qualities. Ultimately, you need to go to reloading and stop irritating yourself trying to purchase ammunition off anyone's shelf.

OP
P
I'm sure this is a tounge in cheek post, but I'll bite. Please indulge me here - there's no grand conspiracy by industry to forcefeed the 6.5 Creedmoor on anyone. The manufacturing of ammunition is a business venture that responds (in appropriate market fashion) to supply and demand. Trust me, if ammunition manufacturers believed they could sell more product by cranking out gobs of .416 Rigby ammunition, it would follow that market trend.

If you have anyone to blame for the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor, blame Hornady and Creedmoor Sports AND (primarily) the general public, which has embraced and made extremely popular the round (and for good reason). The 6.5 Creedmoor is a very mild-mannered cartridge that has an excellent accuracy reputation that is justified. It is friendly to all sorts of shooters and it has adequate downrange performance to do the job for which it is intended - not the job some wish it were intended, such as hunting of dangerous bears. If you're interested in chasing the oddball calibers you mentioned in your post, then have at it. And, best of luck in your pursuit. Just don't expect the general public to jump on your bandwagon.

Last, I think we can both agree that the .284 case is a great one. Thanks for reminding everyone of its great qualities. Ultimately, you need to go to reloading and stop irritating yourself trying to purchase ammunition off anyone's shelf.
I have relatives and friends wo don't reload and rely on off the shelf firearms as well as ammunition. Most already have firearms of a certain flavor which was/is not a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Industry obviously isnt conspiring to only supply 6.5 Creed stuff however, there seems to be a surplus of rifles and ammo that is labled 6.5 Creedmoor. Which came first? The lack of rifles and ammunition of say any other caliber OR the surplus everywhere of all things 6.5 Creedmoor?

Oddball Calibers??? Beginning at the sentence 6.5-300 Weatherby, I believe all of those chamberings are/were commercially offered even the 6.5-284 was commercially packaged by Norma in weights from 120 to 140. Respectfully, every one of the mentioned chamberings exceeds the performance of the 6.5 Creedmoor. I think if we as shooters were a little better informed we might have done some research and said Hmmmm,
"Hey ya'll, looks like somebody is claiming to invent that round thing that the buggy is rolling on"....

OP
P
Haha i always love the old man at the range telling me how he just holds on the deers back at 500 with his 270
Have to agree with you guys. Both of those comments are rediculous. The guy that just holds on the top line and shoots likely has a history of not finding game after the shot. Speculation of course.

The 284 is a downright sexy cartridge. I enjoyed a 25-284 and someday might get a wild hair and try a 6-284 or 22-284. I do believe it is an inherently accurate case.

That being said..most of my rifles now are a creedmoor. Don’t currently have a 6.5…but there’s no denying it is also an inherently accurate case design with excellent component support and has enough juice for 99% of hunters/shooters.