6mm-284 lets hear it!

OP
B
There is so little data around that I can find with the 6-284. What are your guys bets on velocity over the 6 Creedmoor with the same bullet. Am I wrong to think at least 100 fps more?

I'm thinking it'd be about 150fps more than the 6 creed. That's the difference typically seen in between the 25 creed and 25-284. Also there's some guys on other forms that have built them based on the 108 (my intended bullet) and they are getting 3350 out of 26-28" barrels if I recall correctly. Figuring about 25fps per inch lost I could see a 20" barrel making ~3150.

ThatDUDE

WKR
I'm thinking it'd be about 150fps more than the 6 creed. That's the difference typically seen in between the 25 creed and 25-284. Also there's some guys on other forms that have built them based on the 108 (my intended bullet) and they are getting 3350 out of 26-28" barrels if I recall correctly. Figuring about 25fps per inch lost I could see a 20" barrel making ~3150.
What kind of powders should I be looking at for a 6mm-284? H1000, N570? Those slower ones? I want to build either a 25 Cal or a bigger 6mm, but I want to make sure I can actually find powder so I can shoot the thing.

OP
B
What kind of powders should I be looking at for a 6mm-284? H1000, N570? Those slower ones? I want to build either a 25 Cal or a bigger 6mm, but I want to make sure I can actually find powder so I can shoot the thing.
I tested up to max with h4831sc and h1000 in my 25-284. I got ~100fps more with h1000 and I am able to hit pressure before I crunch powder. If I didn't have such a good load for my 25 I'd be tempted to try n570 or retumbo. However, I do not tinker when something works well.

That said, with the 6-284 being a smaller bore I'd test h1000 and n570/retumbo, then pick whichever has more velocity (given that it still shoots well). I will certainly be building one when my old man is ready to pull the trigger on it. If you get there before me, please post results!

OP
B
I tested up to max with h4831sc and h1000 in my 25-284. I got ~100fps more with h1000 and I am able to hit pressure before I crunch powder. If I didn't have such a good load for my 25 I'd be tempted to try n570 or retumbo. However, I do not tinker when something works well.

That said, with the 6-284 being a smaller bore I'd test h1000 and n570/retumbo, then pick whichever has more velocity (given that it still shoots well). I will certainly be building one when my old man is ready to pull the trigger on it. If you get there before me, please post results!
If you want/need any load data info I could give you a starting point. For the 25 I settled on 54g of h1000. I'm betting you could start at 53 grains and work up from there for the 6-284.

If you want/need any load data info I could give you a starting point. For the 25 I settled on 54g of h1000. I'm betting you could start at 53 grains and work up from there for the 6-284.

I’d be interested in the load data. I’m glad you said h1000 It’s one of the powders I have plenty on the shelf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
I’d be interested in the load data. I’m glad you said h1000 It’s one of the powders I have plenty on the shelf

Gun:
-Tikka action
-21" preferred barrel 25-284 (blackjack reamer) w/ thunderbeast ultra 5

Load:
-Lapua 6.5-284 brass FL sized to 25-284 (Redding)
-Fed210m
-H1000 @ 54g
-Berger EH 133g @ .015 off the lands
-Trued muzzle velocity 2941 fps
-Slight pressure signs at 55g

Hope this information can help people looking to do the same or similar!

Last edited:
Gun:
-Tikka action

Load:
-Fed210m
-H1000 @ 54g
-Avg

Thank you sir not a ton of info especially on a short barrel I could find some stuff but everything was 26-30 barrels and a few years old. Not exactly what I’m going for in a hunting rifle

OP
B
Thank you sir not a ton of info especially on a short barrel I could find some stuff but everything was 26-30 barrels and a few years old. Not exactly what I’m going for in a hunting rifle

I was seeing the same info you were, most of it with lighter bullets, longer barrels varminting type rigs. I saw some charts from blackjack bullets that gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on a fast twist 25-284. After the numbers being what I expected I'm confident enough to take the leap on a 6-284. In the coming months I'll be sending preferred a dummy round to get the chamber dimensions correct fo where I want to seat the bullets.

Ps I edited the previous post to include velocity

I was seeing the same info you were, most of it with lighter bullets, longer barrels varminting type rigs. I saw some charts from blackjack bullets that gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on a fast twist 25-284. After the numbers being what I expected I'm confident enough to take the leap on a 6-284. In the coming months I'll be sending preferred a dummy round to get the chamber dimensions correct fo where I want to seat the bullets.

Ps I edited the previous post to include velocity

Have you used preferred on a prefit? I’m on the fence of just getting a prefit or sending the action off and having a smith cut the chamber

OP
B
Have you used preferred on a prefit? I’m on the fence of just getting a prefit or sending the action off and having a smith cut the chamber

I personally, combined with good friends have used a total of 6 "pre-fits" all with excellent results. 3 were proof carbon barrels, 2 were preferred barrels, and 1 was a factory take off from another tikka. They have all met expectations and have all shot well, especially my personal 25 (preffered) and my fathers 7mm (proof). I have a feeling that is more due to cartridge and components rather than brand specific barrels. I have no reason to ever do a carbon barrel again, I haven't had any issues with them but the juice ain't worth the squeeze when you can get 2 steel barrels for the price of one carbon. Besides, fluted steel has always been more attractive to me. If I had to order a barrel right now I would go with preferred taperless .750 contour and flutes.

I personally, combined with good friends have used a total of 6 "pre-fits" all with excellent results. 3 were proof carbon barrels, 2 were preferred barrels, and 1 was a factory take off from another tikka. They have all met expectations and have all shot well, especially my personal 25 (preffered) and my fathers 7mm (proof). I have a feeling that is more due to cartridge and components rather than brand specific barrels. I have no reason to ever do a carbon barrel again, I haven't had any issues with them but the juice ain't worth the squeeze when you can get 2 steel barrels for the price of one carbon. Besides, fluted steel has always been more attractive to me. If I had to order a barrel right now I would go with preferred taperless .750 contour and flutes.

Thank you for the info that makes me feel a lot better about the prefit option I’m going to get ahold of them and ask a few questions

6-6.5 PRC would be more appealing from a brass availability perspective but I’m not sure I’d mod a bolt face based on that unless I already had 6.5 PRC dies I wanted to repurpose.

6.5-284 brass is very easy to come by.

ammo seek shows lapua, adg, and Peterson PRC brass in stock. None of the above in x284. I’d agree that most people seem to overblow the importance of brass availability because they don’t buy enough when it is available.

OP
B
ammo seek shows lapua, adg, and Peterson PRC brass in stock. None of the above in x284. I’d agree that most people seem to overblow the importance of brass availability because they don’t buy enough when it is available.
Quick Google search shows lapue in stock at multiple retailers. I'm not saying it's more available than prc, I am saying it is available enough to not be an issue.

OP
B
I will update when it happens. My father has not ordered the barrel yet as far as I know. It is still the plan.

Flyjunky

WKR
Gun:
-Tikka action

Load:
-Fed210m
-H1000 @ 54g
-Trued muzzle velocity 2941 fps

Hope this information can help people looking to do the same or similar!
Where are you finding Lapua 6.5-284 brass? I heard they stopped making it?