Sagen saw

ndsportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody use these during field dressing to split the pelvic bone? I left my last one at the kill site and forgot it after use, too far to drive back for it. Just wondering if there are any better alternatives, they were the first of it's kind to hit the market years ago. Guessing somebody has manufactured something similar, possibly improved as of late?

Honest question here. Why do you need to split the pelvic bone? The only pelvic bones I split are on domestic animals when I split them in half while they are hanging on the rail. For WG I just cut around the anus and then pull it through and it all comes out with the guts. I even do this doing a partial gutless method. It will also keep the inside of the hind legs cleaner if you have to drag a deer.

Drenalin

WKR
Necessity of splitting the pelvis aside (it truly is unnecessary) other saws intended for this come up short because the teeth are too coarse, in my opinion. The finer teeth on the Sagen get a quicker bite. They’re also so cheap that I can’t think of a good reason not to replace it in kind.

pirogue

WKR
I’m not packing extra ounces of a saw, for the end result of packing out more pounds(bones). Debone and leave the bones in the woods.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
If you are splitting the pelvis, you are obviously gutting. I have never split a single pelvis out of several hundred critters I have gutted. Cut around the anus and then pull it out with the guts. The hind quarters can then be basically filleted off the pelvis.