Sand

Ok this might be a silly question but being that I’m from a fairly flat area here in Michigan I was thinking we have big sand dunes next to Lake Michigan not far from me at all and was planning on hiking up them this summer with my pack on what I got to thinking was would the sand cause any harm to my good boots or should I use a pair of back up boots for the summer workouts

Again maybe a silly question but would really hate to tear up a good set of 300$ boots when I have another pair but if no harm I’d rather wear what I plan on hunting in to make sure I won’t have any problems in the woods

Thanks and hope everyone has a happy and successful new year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wear ‘em. Just make sure you don’t over grease them so sand gets trapped in and around the tongue. Make sure you empty them out good after each hike, including under the insoles.

Shraggs

WKR
I'm from Michigan too. I use a pair of summer hikers and save my boots from wear. I occasionally do dunes, but not with any weight. The lack of footing and sliding on some of those hills isn't something I want to risk. Good summer work out for me, but when I start with the pack it's on firm ground. I found a hill that is about 40 yards long and about 18 degree angle. I use that, up and down...

frankrb3

WKR
Not a silly question at all. When you are done take a boot brush and brush your boots, especially anywhere there are threads. Over time sand that becomes trapped will begin to break down the threads until they fail. In the military we are actually issued a small nylon brush for this purpose although it was a practice I never saw done or really did myself. When my boots began to fall apart I just bought new ones. But in the case of expensive $300 hunting boots I would definitely brush the sand out of the threads.

Not a silly question at all. When you are done take a boot brush and brush your boots, especially anywhere there are threads. Over time sand that becomes trapped will begin to break down the threads until they fail. In the military we are actually issued a small nylon brush for this purpose although it was a practice I never saw done or really did myself. When my boots began to fall apart I just bought new ones. But in the case of expensive $300 hunting boots I would definitely brush the sand out of the threads.

This - the grit will micro abraid threads and will break them down. Honestly, you will probably wear the soles out from general use, before that happens. Apart from that, you shouldn’t really have issues.

I will say, that once I get boots broken in, I tend to only use them for Real trail time. My walking around boots and training boots are cheaper than my main hunters. I exhausted the supply I had built up in the military, so now I buy inexpensive boots off eBay and Train with those. Danners in my size (13 wide) are pretty easy to find for less than a $100 shipped. Sometimes a lot less. I will buy used in good condition or brand new surplus boots very cheap relative to a $300-400 pair of top shelf hunting boots. They are great for road work, light toutdoor work and training hikes. When I wear the soles down I donate them to the Salvation Army and pull out the next pair.

OP
Miflatlander91
Thanks guys I was thinking the sand getting in them wouldn’t be real great and I think When I get them broke In real good I will switch to my cheaper boots to save my good set for real time in the field

Thanks again everyone