Satellite communicators worth the cost?

I have always just tried to get by without a satellite communicator and brought a personal locator beacon to put my wife's mind at ease. I have been mulling over picking one up but they seem to be expensive and the plans look costly as well.

Any thoughts, recommendations or advice from anyone that's tried one?

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Garmin Mini that I turn on and off as needed. They charge a yearly fee, plus the month or so when it is in use. The older I get the more careful I am. I can text on it and pair it with my phone for communication if needed. It doesn't weigh much and I usually keep it close, but off during the day when hiking. It can last many days used that way.

Just picked up a inreach mini 2. It does add some peace of mind.
I didn't really worry about having one until I started backpacking with my girlfriend.
For future hunting trips it'll probably be nice to send stuff out so she knows I'm not dead yet. 😂

Took it on a trip this weekend. Only used it to track out and request a weather report to test. I liked having it.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I have the SPOT X. Personally, I would go with another platform if I were you. But I think everyone should carry one these days, the technology is very available.

OP
OKHunter84
I have the SPOT X. Personally, I would go with another platform if I were you. But I think everyone should carry one these days, the technology is very available.
Ok cool. Those are on sale right now and I was wondering if I should try that or just pony up the extra dough for the Garmin in reach.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
No, not worth it. Until it is. Then it's more than worth it/idiotic to not have one already. If I was cash strapped and did maybe one hunt a year, might go with other things first. No brainer/necessity for someone who spends much time in the mountains at all.
I've had an inreach mini for years now. Mainly just rides around in a pocket buried in my pack. Shut off the subscription out of season, but have it active probably 8 months of the year. I do like being able to check the weather with it - forecasts localize pretty good and it can be helpful for planning next steps when fronts roll in. Also nice to help with coordinating timing/location for meeting up with people in the backcountry. Never had to use it for any emergency, just insurance.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been a sat phone guy for 15 years now. Today my pilots all prefer Inreach or similar platform that allows texting. The last couple years I've used the sat phone less and less, which equates to minimum plan costs = high per minute usage with either roll-over minutes or losing them altogether. I finally quit renewing my plan so this year is all Inreach.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Ok cool. Those are on sale right now and I was wondering if I should try that or just pony up the extra dough for the Garmin in reach.
I wish I had, but mine was a gift. Don’t get me wrong it messages just fine. Battery life is ok, but is missing a lot of features compared to the Garmin.

Kheimann

FNG
The peace of mind an inreach brings for those that care about you in invaluable. It’s allowed me to get out more without hesitation from the wife as she/ I can check in and she knows I’m ok. It’s also nice to know you have the oh shit button if shit were ever to hit the fan.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Inreach explorer plus and gives my family peace of mind. Can text also..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

cmw3w5

FNG
Does anyone have Inreach Mini 2 experience over the original Inreach Mini? I have read its better but not sure if worth the upgrade. My regular Inreach sometimes takes forever to grab a signal.

Seth

WKR
Living in rural NM, the Inreach Mini even comes along for weekend drives through areas with no cell coverage. Minimal weight, great performance, and huge peace of mind.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my parents a Garmin for Christmas. They are in their 70s. They put tracks on their SXS and go to our cabin. It's nice to see where they are with 10-minute increments.

Last edited:
Zoleo user here. Same as others have said, gives my wife peace of mind and I will be honest it does me as well, since we had children I started to somewhat struggle with the anxiety of what ifs when I went into the backcountry. I hope I never have to use it other than checking in on the home front but knowing that there is contact with the outside world in case of emergency is a load off my mind in the backcountry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Garmin Inreach with the basic subscription. Another option which my cousin is using is the Zoleo. Both platforms are good.

I bring my garmin everywhere. In rural areas you never know when you'll lose cell reception.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the cheapest annual plan for a while but I learned as the hunting seasons went on that it's more cost-effective for me to get the unlimited freedom plan for 2-3 months and pause my subscription the rest of the year. Just something to think about when you're selecting a plan

I've been using an inReach Explorer+ since 2017. I activate the "Freedom Safety" plan for a couple months each fall. Service cost is $15 for each month it's active plus a $35 fixed annual fee...worth every penny for the ability to keep in touch with my wife and to communicate with hunting partners and/or outfitter. Used inReaches occasionally pop up in the classified here, often for $100 less than new retail price.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I've been using an inReach Explorer+ since 2017. I activate the "Freedom Safety" plan for a couple months each fall. Service cost is $15 for each month it's active plus a $35 fixed annual fee...worth every penny for the ability to keep in touch with my wife and to communicate with hunting partners and/or outfitter. Used inReaches occasionally pop up in the classified here, often for $100 less than new retail price.
This. Makes my wife feel a bit less worried when I'm solo, most of the time now.

ODB

WKR
Garmin InReach for many years now. The old SE is still running strong and I keep it on all year long because I have had to make some really long trips in nasty snow conditions with iffy cell service.