Savage Rascal

Beastmode

WKR
Thinking about getting my 5 year old a savage rascal. He currently shoots a 10/22 but it is a little big for him. Has anyone shot one? Probably going to put a leupold 4x28 rim fire scope on to keep weight down.

Basically want a good small lightweight squirrel and rabbit gun and I'm open to all ideas.

Not a bad looking gun. A bolt action is definitely a better idea than the 10/22.

After looking at the options available, I bought my son a CZ 452 scout. Single shot adapter or 5 shot magazine. Real safety like the Savage. Can mount a scope easily. He used until he outgrew the gun. Solid and accurate with a good trigger. Just another option.

Got one for my kids to learn on. A very fun little gun and quite accurate too. I actually carried it on my pack to smoke the occasional grouse this year, so small it was no big deal on day hunts.

I have one for my boy and am very happy with it, functions like a bolt gun he'll use the rest of his like, everything about it is better than a cricket. my boy is 4 and it fits him perfect

Great gun. My boy is 8 and loves his. He also shoots his grandpa's 10/22 prone but the rascal fits perfect and he can shoot great in all firing positions (great way to learn proper off hand shooting with a gun that really fits). My boy also shoots a .243 off bags so he can handle a bigger gun but like I said great to have a proper fitting gun.

We set it up with a sling and an air gun scope after shooting the peep for a few months. I found bigger scopes to just dwarf the gun and add extra weight.

Slap a Blackhawk stock on the 10/22 and it'll grow with him. Pink zebra optional...

every one has their opinion and reason for it but IMO a semi-auto anything is not the place to start a young shooter - the Rascal and that type of firearm were conceived for good reason, again IMO

Yup, all depends on how you teach them. I start with a handful of mags and only one round in each mag. Then once they get the operation down, I'll load a few rounds but not tell them how many and let them run the gun dry. Invariably they'll ask "is it empty" and I say "I don't know, how do we check?"

Stuff like that. In my opinion is all the "mini" rifles are a waste, kids grow pretty fast. Some how that 16" bull barrel ended up on Dad's 10/22.

Oopsy...

We went with the Henry Mini Bolt Youth when the time came. It was a great choice, the size and weight were right, the bolt handle was big enough to easily manage, the orange / green fiber optic sights were easy to explain, and it was a good little shooter. I don't know about the Savage, but you can't go wrong with the Henry.

d89034a7837f10442255b92a689b6834.jpg
223731efd66af49bddadc080ea3cf893.jpg

rascal is a great choice. Single shot bolt action is the best for them to learn on IMHO.

Back