Scarpa Mescalito Trek GTX: 100+ mile review...think I'm in love

Hi All,

Waited until I got over a hundred miles of mixed terrain, side hills, off trail, on trail, rocky, fence work, etc., so I wouldn't jump to a conclusion of love based on first impressions. We all know how that can be, but now that we've gotten past the first few dates, I can genuinely say I LOVE these boots.

In looking for a lady I've learned a long laundry list of what you're looking for is a recipe for disaster, but in boots these babies check all the boxes and put a smile on my face.

For me they combine the sexy qualities of a trail runner with the stable, long term qualities of a boot, into a package I can live with for a long time.
  1. Light weight - I don't need featherlite as I value durability, being able to resole (hate "disposable" society") and traction, which is why I trail runners didn't work for me. Scarpa says 3.4lb per pair.
  2. Good sole with deep lugs - trail runners' shallow lugs caused me to lose too much traction on loose, dry hillsides, not to mention for sidehilling and off trail I prefer some stiffness and ankle support. The Mescalito Trk sole has been amazing for me, giving me super confidence on every surface I've hiked on so far, probably too much confidence.
  3. Comfort and cushion - the part I like of trail runners are their light weight and comfort, but these are by far the most cushy hiking boot I've worn. For some that might not be preferred, but I'm loving it.
  4. Durability - I prefer something with a full rand, able to resole and all leather/suede
  5. Stability - greater than a trail runner but not as beefy as a Ribelle HD/Tibet/Mountain extreme. These fit that bill perfectly for me.
Couple comparisons - just based on similar weight/type:
  • Zodiac Plus - slightly more flexible, with a ton more cushion and a full rand. Think the deeper sole and full rand make this a touch more weight than the Zodiac Plus, but it's so worth it for me. If you want less cushion, more ground contact and less weight then the Zodiac Plus is better.
  • Schnees Timberline - just tried on in the store, and was super tempted but passed. From briefly trying them on, the stiffness feels touch more stiff on the Mescalito Trk's and they are shorter vs. Timberlines. I get hot so the taller Timberline may be better for stream crossings, though I prefer the shorter Mescalito Trk. Again, take with a grain of salt as I haven't worn in the field the Timberlines
Untested so far:
  • Heavy load packout - fingers crossed come Fall...
  • Waterproofing
So I admit, I'm in love and will get rid of all my past flings, stop looking around and finally settle down with these babies.

s

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5116.jpeg

IMG_5115.jpeg

Last edited:
I almost bought a pair of these. They seem like a good boot for just about everything. I tried them on next to the Rush TRK’s and got the rush for the lighter weight. Fit was almost identical between the two, wouldn’t say either had great ankle support. The mescalitos definitely look to be more durable.

Yooper

WKR
Been looking at these for a while now and just pulled the trigger on a set. I'm hoping this hits a sweet spot between stiff mountaineering boot and casual hiker that I always seem to be looking for.

OP
L
I almost bought a pair of these. They seem like a good boot for just about everything. I tried them on next to the Rush TRK’s and got the rush for the lighter weight. Fit was almost identical between the two, wouldn’t say either had great ankle support. The mescalitos definitely look to be more durable.
I'm curious to hear your experience with the Rush TRK's as they're definitely lighter. Could you tell in the store how much stiffness difference there is?

Yes, it's not a super supportive boot for sure. I figure one can't get everything in a single boot, but for that I'd run a different boot.

I'm curious to hear your experience with the Rush TRK's as they're definitely lighter. Could you tell in the store how much stiffness difference there is?

Yes, it's not a super supportive boot for sure. I figure one can't get everything in a single boot, but for that I'd run a different boot.
They seemed very close in stiffness at the store, mescalitos might be slightly stiffer. After hiking several miles the Rush’s broke in nicely and became noticeably more flexible.

Yooper

WKR
Just got mine in yesterday and went for a quick hike. 30lb pack and maybe 600' elevation gain over a mile. Total hike of 2.3 miles. Nothing too extreme but man these boots fit me well! Zero hot spots. Good room in the toe box. Ankles locked in well so my foot wasn't moving on the down hill stuff. I'd call them a 1.5 to 2 out of five on the stiffness scale after my first hike. They definitely have more cushion than my Salewa boots but I wouldn't call them soft. Overall I really couldn't be happier about a boot straight out of the box.

Yooper

WKR
Just adding to this update instead of creating a new thread. Had my original pair for several weeks. Similar to the OP here I absolutely LOVE these boots! Comfortable, stable enough for my needs. light weight, roomy toe box, etc. However, after approximately three weeks of use the second lace hook from the top on my left boot broke off when lacing. So I emailed Scarpa, included pics, and explained the situation. They agreed to look at the boots if I shipped them back on my dime.....WTF?? That wasn't happening, so I reached out to Zappos (where I originally bought them) and told them my situation. They immediately sent me a new pair and scheduled a pickup for the defective units. The new boots come in two days later and while lacing them up for the first time the SAME lace hook on the left boot breaks off. Call Zappos again. Again they're great to deal with. Offer me a replacement pair or credit. Reluctantly I went with another pair as they just fit so well. So my expectations are too high at this point and given my track record I wont be shocked if they give me more problems but I'll see if maybe I just ran into some bad luck here.

Scarpa 1.jpg

OP
L
Follow up experience:

Still love them as my go-to boot.

Waterproof issues - light rain all day last week and hiking in wet grasses off-trail the boots got waterlogged, even with gaiters and waterproof pants which kept my hunting pants perfectly dry underneath.

Just sent an email to Scarpa about the lack of waterproofing, so will see what they say.

I hadn't applied any aftermarket waterproofing yet as they're so new. We will see...