Schnee's against competition

wildcat33

WKR
I’ve had multiple pairs of Crispi, Salewa, Hanwag and Salomon boots, none have made it through two seasons. I have a pair of Beartooths that’ll be going on their 6th season this year.

3 seasons seems to be the average for guys i hunt with before waterproofing is gone on the schnees. So my experience has not been as positive. Sample set of three though FWIW. Would still buy again if the price was right. Agree that my results with lesser brands like sportiva, asolo, salomon tend to be more like 1-2 season. Waterproof lining that lasts more than a year or two is the exception.

3 seasons seems to be the average for guys i hunt with before waterproofing is gone on the schnees. So my experience has not been as positive. Sample set of three though FWIW. Would still buy again if the price was right. Agree that my results with lesser brands like sportiva, asolo, salomon tend to be more like 1-2 season. Waterproof lining that lasts more than a year or two is the exception.
For sure, waterproofing can be finicky and typically the first thing to go. With most synthetic boots, they maybe last a season. I had a pair of Thors that 2 seasons, Thor IIs lasted one, and Hanwag Makra that didn’t last 6 months.
3 seasons honestly isn’t too bad with heavy use.
I have 4 pairs of schnees, all are still holding waterproofing. I do clean and retreat after every season or particularly rough hunt. I also do not use any insoles with plastic siding (super feet green/blue/orange) like a lot of people do. They can rub through the liner. I still wear boots from other brands, but the schnee’s are definitely more durable.

Blandry

WKR
I had some issue with water ingress.. but they made it right.. and it very quick fashion. I would recommend snchees.. I wanted a real mountain boot, step-in crampon and the granite pros were the perfect option to a plastic boot.

Might go with the La Sportiva EVO's next...

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you ran any of our current generation boots with Sympatex. This membrane has been blowing us away honestly. It is rock solid and lasts. - Matt

wildcat33

WKR
Gotcha. Unfortunately, OutDry didn't prove to be as awesome as initially thought. The new Sympatex membrane is going on year 5 and it is killer! - Matt

That's good to hear. I'd happily send the leaky ones I have back now that Ive product tested them for you!

Does anyone have an input on the fit of schnees beartooth?

Also, I am curious as to how they stand up against competing high end hunting boots.

Thanks
Literally just got my first pair of 200g Beartooths in today but I've had the lighter duty Timberlines for three years now and they've held up remarkably well to all manner of abuse.

Can echo wait others have said about the slightly tight toe box, but if they're anything like my Timberlines that will go away as you wear them in.

Backstrap

FNG
I have a pair of regular width insulated ones that fit me tight in the forefoot and almost perfectly in the heel. My foot is kind of wide in the forefoot (btw a D and EE) and narrow in the heel if that helps.

The kestrel is a very intriguing boot to me, but what are the odds of them staying dry for a couple years? Zamberlan are the only boots that have made it through 2 seasons dry… that’s what wears out on boots for me, the coast is easy on boots in general, not walking in a lot of rock or scree, it’s pretty soft ground here… but wet. Even in September elk hunting, the morning dew will soak your feet before daylight if your boots aren’t waterproof… and besides zamberlan, that’s the weak point of boots

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The kestrel is a very intriguing boot to me, but what are the odds of them staying dry for a couple years? Zamberlan are the only boots that have made it through 2 seasons dry… that’s what wears out on boots for me, the coast is easy on boots in general, not walking in a lot of rock or scree, it’s pretty soft ground here… but wet. Even in September elk hunting, the morning dew will soak your feet before daylight if your boots aren’t waterproof… and besides zamberlan, that’s the weak point of boots

I think the odds are actually pretty damn good. After putting time on a couple pairs of schnees I’m consistently impressed with the quality and build. They’ve really talked a lot about the change to sympatex membrane being a real dramatic drop in return issues for waterproofing. I know I’ve had an issue with a pair once and they were SO good to deal with.

I think the odds are actually pretty damn good. After putting time on a couple pairs of schnees I’m consistently impressed with the quality and build. They’ve really talked a lot about the change to sympatex membrane being a real dramatic drop in return issues for waterproofing. I know I’ve had an issue with a pair once and they were SO good to deal with.
Very good, appreciate it

Maybe I’ll get a pair for work to feel them out, and buy another pair if I am liking them

I am very impressed with zamberlan, but their more substantial boots aren’t a perfect fit for me, but it’s a compromise I will make for them to last… their light boots have been money for me, but I’m always looking for the perfect boots (like everyone)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Very good, appreciate it

Maybe I’ll get a pair for work to feel them out, and buy another pair if I am liking them

I am very impressed with zamberlan, but their more substantial boots aren’t a perfect fit for me, but it’s a compromise I will make for them to last… their light boots have been money for me, but I’m always looking for the perfect boots (like everyone)
LOVE the Schnees but still like the lighter Sportiva mountain boots as well, it is a sickness no doubt. To be honest, I did try the first version of the Schnees Mission line and hated them, so there's still outliers.

100% truthful, we hear this all the time. Seriously... It's a big point of pride for us and something that even Remi Warren has told me. Always great to hear! - Matt
I think I will give you guys a try, if I could find something that’s comfortable on my feet but slightly more substantial than light hikers, and kept my feet dry for 2 seasons, I would be stoked… it’s a tall order in my experience.

Would you expect the kestrel to stay waterproof for a couple seasons of hard use? I believe the boots will stay in good enough shape, but staying dry is a kryptonite of light-ish boots, especially adding in coastal brush… too much synthetic paneling makes me nervous, but the kestrel looks to at least be leather in the important areas

Literally just got my first pair of 200g Beartooths in today but I've had the lighter duty Timberlines for three years now and they've held up remarkably well to all manner of abuse.

Can echo wait others have said about the slightly tight toe box, but if they're anything like my Timberlines that will go away as you wear them in.
How would you compare the timberlines to the beartooths now that you have ran both? Are the bear tooth’s significantly stiffer or not so much?
I can’t decide which one to go with.

airish06

FNG
I have a pair of Schnee's Timberline 13 wides that I purchased last month. Walked roughly 15 - 20 miles in them... I should have purchased a 12.5. Great condition, up for grabs if anyone is interested - asking $250. DM if interested.