Scope for 30/06

Looking for a better scope for my 30/06. It’s my mainstay for thicker country hunts for short to medium shots and I usually keep it around as a backup in open country

I’m thinking a decent 3-9x (3.5-10x, 4-12x would be fine too) and I don’t particularly want a dialing scope for this gun. I’m also trying to keep it under $300-ish. I saw a Leupold VX-Freedom (without CDL) that seemed to fit the bill. Any others I should have my eye on?

Warmsy

WKR
I used to hunt in similar situations locally-I'm all about my recurve now, and I found that I never ever zoomed in with Leopold vx ii 3-9. If I were in situations where I'd be shooting past 100yds, I would prefer a reticle with hash marks. I find the dialing to be annoying. I'm very happy with 3-9 in any situation I encounter. I also couldn't hit a car past 300 yards...

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Perfect timing during our Store Wide 4th of July Sale Now through July 5th
Look at the Sig Sauer WHISKEY3 3-9x40mm - 1" - SFP - HellFire QuadPlex which, through July 5th, is only $175.99
Designed for traditional hunting rifles as well as common MSR / AR platforms, the WHISKEY3 3 – 9x40 mm riflescope is the ideal solution for short, medium and long range engagements and dangerous game hunting, as well as recreational shooting across a wide range of calibers. 3x optical zoom offered in second focal plane (SFP) with multiple reticle options. HellFire illumination available on select models. Low dispersion (LD) glass provides industry leading optical clarity for any situation. European style eyepiece for a smooth, fast, and precise reticle adjustment. Dependable waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance.

FEATURES:
  • 3x optical zoom offered in second focal plane (SFP) with multiple reticle options
  • Low dispersion (LD) glass provides industry leading optical clarity for any situation
  • European style eyepiece for a smooth, fast, and precise reticle adjustment
  • Dependable waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance

I have 2.5-10x44, Vortex HD, a little more than $300, eye relief is great, BDC reticle, one of my favorite scopes. I have 4-12 and 4-16 but I tend to favor the 2.5-10x44.

My dad has a 2-7 Leopold and loves it.

Higher magnification has some benefits but for most hunting applications they are not needed.

TxJW

FNG
That Sig Sauer Whiskey3 deal from Doug is hard to beat. I have one and it compares with my VX3 and Burris FF2 with the lighted red dot for late evening/morning or night shooting. Great value and gets the job done!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I put the Burris 4 x 14 x 42 on my 3006. A few years ago my son and I had late season bull tags, while sitting on stand about 40 elk started up past me across the canyon in thick timber at the time I had a 3x9x40 on it and it was hard to make out bulls from cows or good bulls from smaller ones as they were bunched up . I didnt shoot a bull on that day but after the hunt I found the Burris to perfect for my older eyes and the BDC works great.

Scopelist has the Razor LH 2-10 for $450. I have three in the 3-15 model and they’ve been awesome.

morgaj1

WKR
A used Trijicon Accupoint would do well. Great glass, built like a tank and illuminated reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
Perfect timing during our Store Wide 4th of July Sale Now through July 5th
Look at the Sig Sauer WHISKEY3 3-9x40mm - 1" - SFP - HellFire QuadPlex which, through July 5th, is only $175.99
Designed for traditional hunting rifles as well as common MSR / AR platforms, the WHISKEY3 3 – 9x40 mm riflescope is the ideal solution for short, medium and long range engagements and dangerous game hunting, as well as recreational shooting across a wide range of calibers. 3x optical zoom offered in second focal plane (SFP) with multiple reticle options. HellFire illumination available on select models. Low dispersion (LD) glass provides industry leading optical clarity for any situation. European style eyepiece for a smooth, fast, and precise reticle adjustment. Dependable waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance.

FEATURES:
  • 3x optical zoom offered in second focal plane (SFP) with multiple reticle options
  • Low dispersion (LD) glass provides industry leading optical clarity for any situation
  • European style eyepiece for a smooth, fast, and precise reticle adjustment
  • Dependable waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance
I bought of these a month ago. I haven't sighted in yet, but the glass is decent for the price. I wasn't expecting great things for the price, but if it handles the recoil on my .06 I'll be happy with it.