Scope slipping in mounts

It’s 2023 and I just found this thread. Have Talley rings on a Savage Ultralight 300 WSM. The rifle is very light weight, so even with a good muzzle break it’s got some solid recoil. My scope keeps slipping and I’m scheduled to be chasing elk in Montana in 3 weeks!!

Not sure whether to try the rosin and lapping, or scrap the Talley rings and go in a different direction.

If you do end up moving in another direction, these are available now for R700 actions and Savage 110 Ultra-Light.

Hawkins Featherweight Scope Rings

It’s 2023 and I just found this thread. Have Talley rings on a Savage Ultralight 300 WSM. The rifle is very light weight, so even with a good muzzle break it’s got some solid recoil. My scope keeps slipping and I’m scheduled to be chasing elk in Montana in 3 weeks!!

Not sure whether to try the rosin and lapping, or scrap the Talley rings and go in a different direction.
Get rid of the rings. I have mounted over 100 rifle scope combos and never had a slip. Absolutely no need to use rosin...if that is standard procedure for a company to use grip tape or rosin their rings suck.

Hawkins Featherweight Scope Rings

What’s the quickest way to get my hands on those? Have a hunting trip in a few weeks so would need to get them mounted and re-zeroed asap.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just ordered a set from Midway. And thanks to whoever I spoke with at Hawkins that advised which height to go with.

Last edited:
Back