Scouting trip

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Won't be able to make it elk hunting this year, so while it's still a whole another year away I'm thinking about a scouting trip during August of next year in Colorado. Would it be beneficial to set a few trail cameras up it a unit I have been researching in August?. I plan to come for 3-5 days learn the unit best I can in that amount of time so I will have a starting point to come back to in September.

wyogoat

WKR
Are you leaving the cameras out all year? Or just the time you’re there?
I don’t think there’s ever a negative to scouting. One of the big benefits will be you will get a much better idea of terrain and maybe how to access other areas which is as important as eyeballing elk provided that there are elk in the area. I would say the majority of my scouting now is based on getting a feel for the terrain.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Are you leaving the cameras out all year? Or just the time you’re there?
I don’t think there’s ever a negative to scouting. One of the big benefits will be you will get a much better idea of terrain and maybe how to access other areas which is as important as eyeballing elk provided that there are elk in the area. I would say the majority of my scouting now is based on getting a feel for the terrain.
Just going leave the cameras out for a few weeks. Plan is to go to Colorado in the beginning of August.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I think the cameras help me understand patterns better. I put up 5 in Colorado 3 weeks ago. Will take them down when I get there in September. No guarantee the elk will still be there but they were there 3 weeks ago. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to go spend some time in the unit during the summer.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
What would you look for in August?...I know elk sign and elk but will there patterns change once September hunting pressure starts. Should I look for old sign from the year before, wallows.
I hunt early september so I’m looking for areas with rubs from previous years. It’s a good place to start anyway.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Also not sure if you know but you can’t have trail cams out during season. Have to be pulled by opening day is what CPW told me.
Remi Warren has some good podcasts that cover summer scouting and what to look for. I have been taking notes like I’m in a college course to gather all the info I can.
I think the patterns depend on the summer, this year has been pretty yet compared to what is “normal” I would still be looking high in summer though.

wyogoat

WKR
That’s what I was getting at also, not sure you will gain much from the cameras as habits may change quite a bit in that few weeks. I agree with the above in looking for last years rubs and other sign. I still believe that scouting terrain is a huge benefit and will pay dividends. If I know there are elk in the area, that’s where I put my efforts.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Can you cite the statute, regulation, rule, or source?
Called CPW office and that’s what they told me over the phone so no I can’t cite anything other than that. Who knows maybe the person gave me bad info?

sndmn11

WKR
Called CPW office and that’s what they told me over the phone so no I can’t cite anything other than that. Who knows maybe the person gave me bad info?
They did.

specifically, the only chapter that mentions "camera" is W-00...
https://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=6644&fileName=2 CCR 406-0
  1. Live-Action Game Cameras
    1. No person shall use a live-action camera to locate, surveil, or aid or assist in any attempt to locate or surveil any game wildlife for the purpose of taking or attempting to take said wildlife during the same day or following day.
    2. “Live-Action Game Camera” means any device capable of recording and transmitting photographic or video data wirelessly to a remote device, such as a computer or smart phone. “Live-action game camera” does not include game cameras that merely record photographic or video data and store such data for later use, as long as the device cannot transmit data wirelessly.

You can have a standard onboard data camera in the field at any time regardless of "season" and use it to help your hunt on the same day.

You can have a live-action camera in the field at any time regardless of "season" and use it to help your hunt two days (or more) later.

You can have a live-action camera in the field at any time regardless of "season" BUT CANNOT use it to help your hunt the same day or the following.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I have two live action cameras up currently. Above is correct. I must remove them from the field the day before I start to hunt. The regular trail cams can remain up while I hunt.

Any time you can invest in just hiking and looking around in your area has many benefits. Get familiar with the area so you’re comfortable staying in your best spots far from the truck all the way until dark.