Seek outside LBO vs Cimarron

Baron85

WKR
Looking to buy my first light weight shelter and stuck between these 2. Uses will be Colorado Hunting first hunt is first week of September near aspen and last hunt is week of Christmas near Breckinridge. I also plan to use it for some trips in snake country so some form of nest I think will be important. We are planning on a stove as well.

Mainly will have my wife and I, would be cool to be able to fit our 2 kids in the summer, and some solo hunts. Like the idea of the LBO being modular but then started to think a cimarron and a good tarp would probably be better???? Tarp for solo hunts much like the LBo base, and cimarron would be bigger for the stove use and family?

Other concern is having enough space to setup the cimarron out hunting? This is our first time trying the backpack hunting but seems the cimarron might be a little big to find places to set up in the mountains at times?

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have an LBO with the vestibule. I spent 10 nights in it solo last season, and had plenty of room for all my gear. This year, we’re gonna give it a shot with 2 guys. It will be a little tight, but it’ll work.

If most of your camping will be done solo, I’d go LBO. If you’re going to be accommodating multiple people more often than not, i’d look at the Cimarron.

crdmax

FNG
I have the LBO with vestibule and connecting tarp...I like this set up because I can run just the base and vestibule for 2 people, stove and gear, base tarp vestibule for 2 and just about anything under the sun or I can run either the base or tarp by them selves for ultra light and solo stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went through this same thing trying to decide between the LBO and Cimarron. I ended up ordering the Cimarron bc I can get the full nest and fit my wife and two small children. Also if I have another guy with me hunting the extra room would be nice. I have another tent for when I’m solo, but I could also see myself using the Cimarron as well. I haven’t received my Cimarron yet, it is suppose to deliver tomorrow . That was my thought process, if it helps.

Benny40

FNG
I know it’s a little bigger but I have stayed in a buddies Redcliff, and I can say it’s a absolute palace. We hunted 2guys with gear and a stove and wood with tons of room to spare in the sawtooths during rifle season. As far as a tarp goes I have used a kifaru supertarp for the past 3 years and would never go back. I use it solo pretty much all seasons because I bought the stove and annex. It’s lightweight and fast during archery but can be closed up and comfy when the temp drops solo. You could easily fit 2 guys in it but it would be very very tight. A palace for 1 IMG_7703.jpg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For a solo hunt I'd be looking at the Silvertip or Silex when it gets released.

For a two person hot tent, Cimarron.

For a summer family tent for four I'd look at the Cimarron with a full nest. That's a great summer setup because you can pitch the canopy up and get a lot of airflow.

For one tent that will do it all, the LBO system may be your best bet. It really depends on how focused you are on weight for your solo trips....the Cim is heavier than needed, but it's not crazy to pack solo by any means.

WKR
I have the LBO system. Love the ability to customize.

Car camping this weekend with my girls: base-tarp-base with 2 nests. Have the stove but didn't use it.

Just me hunting, base-vestibule, or just base.

2 guys, base-tarp-vestibule. Or, 2x base-vestibule... Add nests as necessary for bugs/critters.

Lots of options.

Only complaint is that it's not tall enough to stand up in.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Silvertip for solo hunting in the fall, a DST for summertime long distance hikes and just recently picked up a Cimmaron Light for family and winter hot tenting. For a one and done I’d go Cim Light. It only weighs like 6oz more than the Silvertip.

On the LBO, can you angle the center pole such that my wife and I could put our two pads right next to each other? For when she inevitably gets cold in the middle of the night.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
Winter camping won’t be solo, my solo hunts and outings will be summer and early season. I think I’m going to go with the cimarron and dst. Seems to me the LBO is jack of all trades but master of none, and the price difference between lbo and cimarron/dst isn’t much.

I got my Cimarron today and set it up, I’ll have no problem getting my family of four in it comfortably. I don’t see it being a problem to have 3 guys with lots of extra room no stove. I’m pretty impressed with how much space there is, especially when using the guy out points. I’m looking forward to using it this year. Good luck on your decision.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
On the LBO, can you angle the center pole such that my wife and I could put our two pads right next to each other? For when she inevitably gets cold in the middle of the night.

I would try to run a ridge line between 2 trees and suspend the apex of the tent instead and skip the pole altogether. I can’t remember if the base has a loop for that, but it would be easy to add one

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I used the LBO and will never sleep in one again... I talked to Seek on the phone and by email about my issues and ended up selling it and getting a cimarron and a silver tip.

The LBO has a very large zipper cover. When attached to the 3 piece vestibule the flap can not be fully secured from flapping in the wind. You can pull it some what tight at the very top but besides that your SOL. In a massive wind/rain storm that flap kept me up for 4 nights., I tried everything from running strong straight up into the tree, to pulling it hard down into the tent but couldn’t stop the flapping.. I turned the tent to try to allow the wind to hit it at a different angle but the direction kept changing. seek told me it’s a known complaint and I could trim it but the zipper would be exposed at that angle... couldn’t attach Velcro and sew it as it wouldn’t be able to pull tight. would be great as a stand alone but you couldn’t pay me to own one again.. love love loved the shape but that’s about it.