Seeking Videographer for Yukon Moose & Grizzly

RickNold

FNG
Hi All,

I'm in the process of booking a 2025 Yukon hunt and want to hire someone to create a film of the adventure. I'm not sure where to start with this and wonder if anyone has suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

eamyrick

WKR
Since you posted in a public forum I would 100% want to see several work examples. I second shoot for my wife who is a full time photographer. Shooting is the easy part. A quality editing job for video is what you are paying for.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCL

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
Since you posted in a public forum I would 100% want to see several work examples. I second shoot for my wife who is a full time photographer. Shooting is the easy part. A quality editing job for video is what you are paying for.
Agreed, editing takes a while.

pirogue

WKR
Probably a lot more good photographers than a good photographer in top condition for a Yukon hunt.

Are you looking for someone to do it with an iPhone or are you looking for someone that's won some professional film fests for mountain hunting videos and who does it commercially for brands within the hunting industry? Nothing wrong with either approach, but it's something to consider early on and it will certainly narrow the field and impact the price tag.

Either way I think it's a cool idea. I have some private clients that've hired me to film their hunts, and they always say how much fun it is to have the hunt saved forever to share with friends and family.

A few things to keep in mind while you shop for a videographer:

- Photographers are not videographers/cinematographers. There are some absolutely phenomenal photographers that can't capture/assemble a hunting film to save their life. Some can film, edit, and shoot still photos to boot.
- As someone else mentioned already, make sure you take a person physically fit enough to handle the rigors of a big northern hunt while carrying 20 lbs. more than anyone else in the crew.
- Take someone that won't ruin your hunt, and that's two-fold. Someone super green to the hunting realm could legitimately spook game trying to "get the shot". Also, someone not mentally prepared for it could get irritable in the face of adverse conditions and become the worst person in camp.
- Is the film 100% for personal use? If not, you'll likely need film permits, and hiring someone that can navigate the red tape will be critical.
- Have you spoken with the outfitter about it yet? Most are fine with hunts being filmed, but some may require an observer fee. The observer fee became much more prevalent (especially in Canada) post-Covid.

Just a few questions for you:
- What species are you hunting in the Yukon?
- Who is the outfitter?
- What are the dates?
- 1x1 or 2x1 hunter/guide party?
- What type of hunt is it (float trip, remote spike camp hunt, lodge hunt, etc.)?