Semi guided turkey hunting

Anyone know the ins and outs of semi guided hunting? I’ve got a 1k acre farm and our turkey hunting here is amazing, deer kinda sucks but that’s a different story. I’ve already got the lodging part down, I’ve got a Airbnb house. Not sure if the ins and outs of guiding. Insurance, licensing, anything else? We have a month long spring season so I’m not sure if I should just lease it to one group with the lodging or just do it by the day type deal? It’s an active farm as well but there’s enough spots to work around each other. Anyone do anything like this?

FLS

WKR
You need to be able to move around turkey hunting. Depending on acreage, a small group would be best. Not hammeri the same ground is best as well. We do that in TX for Rios.

OP
A
Upstate NY. It’d be spring turkey only. Won’t happen this year though. We have about 7 big fields and 3-4 smaller fields all separated

Edit: ideally I think I’d like to just do one group of maybe 4 for the entire month. And do a package deal for hunt and bnb. Not sure what to charge for the hunting though. The 1500SF bnb alone for the month would cost $5250 plus tax and Airbnb fees.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
From Chat GPT:
What are the laws and regulations to be a turkey hunting outfitters or guide in New York?

In New York, turkey hunting outfitters or guides are subject to several laws and regulations. Below are some of the key requirements:
  1. License: Turkey hunting outfitters or guides must have a valid license issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). The license is called a "Guide License," and it is required for anyone who guides, instructs, or assists another person in hunting, fishing, or trapping for a fee.
  2. Insurance: Outfitters or guides are required to have liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $1 million per occurrence and $2 million aggregate.
  3. Certification: Outfitters or guides must possess a valid certification in Basic First Aid and CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation).
  4. Hunter Safety Course: Outfitters or guides must have completed a hunter safety course and hold a current certification.
  5. Compliance: Outfitters or guides must comply with all state hunting regulations, including bag limits, hunting seasons, and other rules specific to turkey hunting.
  6. Landowner Permission: Outfitters or guides must obtain written permission from landowners before conducting any hunting activity on their property.
  7. Reporting: Outfitters or guides must submit annual reports to the DEC, detailing the number of clients, species hunted, and the success rate of each hunt.
It is essential to note that additional requirements may apply, and it is advisable to check with the DEC for the latest regulations and requirements

Rich M

WKR
I can see making some money off the land - maybe you can just lease the land? But that doesn't allow for squeezing $ out of the airB&B at the same time.

$5K/month for a farmhouse? People will pay that?

If not, then allow hunting access while folks are staying at the house. Spell it out on the permission slip - I'm sure NY requires permission in writing. Begin date, end date. Max no. of hunters, max no. of birds. Map of areas where hunting is allowed.

You can probably get $2,500/wk for AB&B and allow 2 guys to hunt turkeys. That'd be $10K for the month. No exposure to the guide stuff, just whatever liability NY assigns to landowners allowing hunters to hunt.

You might be able to lease the land for $6-8-10,000 for turkey rights but will likely have to include fall turkey as well. This is the easiest and least effort way to get more money off the land. But they may or may not use the farm house.

I’m gonna agree with Rich. I don’t think leasing it to one group will work, $5k+ is a stretch. I like the weekly idea. But might be tough to fill that 3rd and 4th week though.

OP
A
Yeah I figured it’d be a stretch. Yes people pay it but we have an outstanding view and a farm attracts city people. Maybe it’s not worth it, just a though I had because we have some big Tom’s.