September Elk nuts

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I intend to be in CO hunting elk this coming September. Most of the unit I am scouting is 7-11k feet with average temps in the 60-70's. My list is probably going to be Pnuma tenacity pants, core LW hoodie, ascent hoodie and a Jetstream jacket for light rain or chilly temp drops. I have some FL base layers to bring if I needed too, but I wasn't sure how much people actually need to layer up there.

I don’t wear thermals in September. Was in a t-shirt this last year, wishing I had zip off pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t wear thermals in September. Was in a t-shirt this last year, wishing I had zip off pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't get too chilly up there? I was up on Mt Evans last September and it felt cold as hell with the wind howling.

Expect everything from 80 and sunny, to rain, to 20's and snow.

Granted I haven't hunted Arizona or New Mexico yet, but I will always, always have top and bottom hard shell rain gear, a puffy jacket, and gaiters at my disposal. You can always leave them in the truck.

Hunted 2nd/3rd week of September around 10,000-11,000 last year and it got down into teens several nights, so don’t go with just a T-shirt. I had merino base layers top and bottom, mid layer fleece, a puffy and rain gear. Extreme temperatures swings are common, had it be mid teens and snowing night/early morning and then 60s mid afternoon.

I hunted the end of sept last year in Wyoming and the most important gear for me was my merino base layers and GOOD BOOTS (I got Lowa Tibets). I say the merino base layers cause if wet or dry you will help keep you warm.

Back