September Elk Tops

Ben A

FNG
Going on my first elk hunt this September out to Colorado. I've been looking through a lot of gear lists trying to figure out clothing.

I already have a FL wick shirt for my baselayer, and am looking for a mid layer. The options I've "narrowed" down to are
Fl Kiln Hoodie
FL Klamath Hoodie
FL Corrugate Guide Jacket
Kuiu Peleton 200
Kuiu Peleton 240

Only an insulating layer would go over this layer for real early morning and long sits. Without having them to actually try on, I'm bit sure how they compare warmth wise, or if any of the options above are going to be to warm, or to thin, for a decent mid layer. Any insight/opinions are welcome.

OP
B

Ben A

FNG
I'm open to other suggestions as well. Including those that aren't necessarily hunting clothing

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
The corugate guide jacket is more of an outer shell. I would say the Klamath or Pelleton 240 hoodie. I ware a LG Klamath but had to size up to an xl for the Pelleton. I use both for a mid layer. I really like the Kiln but if there is any chance it will become my outer layer I won't ware it, so I save the Kiln for a cold weather base layer.

renagde

WKR
You probably won't need much, depending on your outer insulating layer. If that's a puffy jacket, something like a Sitka Core lightweight hoody, Apex hoody, or a Kuiu 240 or 97 would be the ticket.

Good review of a few options.

I just bought a Sitka Fanatic hoody (black) for strictly a layering or ground blind piece, but may also pick-up a Klamath or Catalyst in fusion for layering or outer piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I wear my halstead (pre Klamath) most waking hours in September. Grid fleece in most any variety makes a great mid layer.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any fleece really. I am fond of a waffle or grid fleece as they seem to breath a little more. Last archery in Colorado I ran a ss merino then a peloton 97 and sometimes just the 97. It was a more shaded area and cooler than previous years. The 97 and merino wasn’t enough most of the time. This year I’m going back to the same area and using two peloton 97, one hooded. Sounds crazy but I like it so far.

Peloton 200 might be the ticket as it’s a hair warmer and has some breeze resistance. The 240 if you need wind resistance.

Unless you’re getting into wind blocker or grid vs regular fleece I think it’s more about the fit and features like a hood, chest pocket, etc. Also generic fleece is still the best bang for your money.

Skins

FNG
Kiln Base and Klamath Fleece have worked for 95% of my September hunts in Montana.

Skins

FNG
Combo of raingear and a lite jacket for rain or early cold early mornings. Been looking at a FL Sawtooth Hybrid for this fall to take over for that lite jacket.

OP
B

Ben A

FNG
So I'm thinking of going with the Kuiu Peloton 200 hoodie, with a Kuiu kenai Ultra vest as my insulation layer. Any thoughts?

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Klamath hoody and peloton 240. The peloton 200 is probably just as warm and lighter. It breathes better (less wind resistant). It also seems less durable if you have it as an outer layer while busting brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at the Klamath as well and went with an Skre kanati 300 hoodie for a Colorado September elk hunt and it worked great. Almost too warm once I started hiking.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the peloton 240. I love it. Really warm for the weight. I wear it most mornings while getting ready. I Take it off before I start hiking. I also have some of the military surplus fleece long john tops. Gets me through most mornings.

mclovin

FNG
I wear the Wick all the time as a base layer. And then I have both the Kiln and Klamath... hard to say what I like more. Definitely can't go wrong with the warmth to weight ratio with the Klamath. But the nice thing with the Kiln is that it is still fairly warm, but doesn't stink at all. Either of the two would be a great choice.

ianpadron

WKR
Peloton 200 and 240 are awesome. I'm usually living in one of the 2 from September through November.

They dry super fast and are surprisingly warm. I like the 240 more since it has pockets, a full zipper, and cuts the wind better.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I didn't read all the other replies. I'll just tell you what I use.
Wick,
Kiln,
Puffy jacket = mornings,sleeping, and pillow.
And maybe a light rain jacket to break wind/ rain.
But I usually dont carry that. I just set up my tarp and wait for storm to pass.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Apex hoody is my go to for early season archery hunting because it is so breathable, light weight and has removable elbow pads that help when stocking.