Serrated or Straight Edge Broadheads ?

CowboyD

FNG
I prefer fixed blade broadheads, specifically Magnus Stingers or Black Hornets. My question is do you prefer the serrated blades or the straight edge blades and why? I've heard that serrated causes more damage and makes for more blood.
Please let me know your thoughts.

I don't know if one is better than the other. But I think the claim is not valid. I can get a straight edge razor sharp. I'm not sure about the serrated.

A serrated blade may be good if the arrow is sawing back and forth. A lot of the better two blades are sharp on both ends for this reason.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac
I used the Buzzcuts for awhile.

IME, bloodtrails are a function of shot location- period. 2 blade, 3 blade, mech head, serrated- nope…from what I’ve seen its all about shot location- namely lower 1/2 shots bleed leave a better blood trail. High shots even with a big mech head put most of the blood in the body cavity.

Those Buzzcuts are wicked…not like a serrated knife…those are chisel serrations that are scary sharp. They work good …but I can’t say definitively they work better.

Reactions: Zac
I prefer straight simply for the fact I can resharpen them more easily. Based on an explanation from the owner of Magnus, I have no doubt serrated does a bit more damage, but not enough for me to sweat over.

I shot the black hornets for quite a few years always the serrated and they left a pretty impressive blood trail again I think it comes down to shot placement more than anything. I had a little 100 grain cut throat leave a blood trail that was better than a lot of shots from mechanicals last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've killed with both. No difference in blood trails. Still deciding on which killer bee to use for bear June 2nd. Regular, serrated.

I'm more in the regular, smooth 4 bladed magnus heads. I shoot 50 lbs, so the sharp, uninterrupted regular non serrated fits my bill nicely.

Do wounds made by a straight edge seal up faster than serrated resulting in less blood trail?

Do wounds made by a straight edge seal up faster than serrated resulting in less blood trail?
Surgeons don't use serrated scalpels.

As mentioned, blood trail is a function of shot location. There can be plenty of bleeding that is just not reaching the ground.

If you take a truly razor sharp COC head and push on it through deer or elk it doesn't take much at all to go through. I have never tried with a serrated.

You might be able to make a case that serrated blades make a more irregular cut with microscopic "tearing" of tissue but this would also result in theoretically less penetration. As a practical matter, I don't think it makes any difference.

But as mentioned many times, either in the pump station will result in a dead animal and a decent blood trail.

Surgeons don't use serrated scalpels.

As mentioned, blood trail is a function of shot location. There can be plenty of bleeding that is just not reaching the ground.
At home serrated knives are used for bread, straight edges for meat.

Agree. Shot placement matters most.

Inadvertently used a dull broadhead once. Arrow placement was perfect, animal dropped on site.

Have had less than perfect shot placement using “shaving sharp” blades before and results were far from ideal.

Mistakenly used a field point on an animal once, shot placement was perfect, resulted in quick death. (Get off your high horse, it was mid-teenage years, decades ago, knees were literally banging against each other as the animal approached and I grabbed the wrong arrow out of the quiver in my youthful exuberance. Just sharing to reinforce the point that placement matters most.)

I've shot these 2 blades for awhile now and can tell you it's a moot point. Its just like Clotting...guys are worried about clotting.

That animal will be dead in less than a minute - many times it's 15 seconds if you put that arrow in the right spot.

The one thing about the Buzzcuts I have noticed is hair sometime caught in the serrations after a pass through. I don't think it's a deal breaker either way, but it's rare to find hair stuck in a smooth edge blade- maybe every once in awhile.

I've shot the black hornet serazor the past 6 years, all animals have dropped in sight with excellent blood trails. They do need sharpened out of the box though.

I prefer fixed blade broadheads, specifically Magnus Stingers or Black Hornets. My question is do you prefer the serrated blades or the straight edge blades and why? I've heard that serrated causes more damage and makes for more blood.
Please let me know your thoughts.
I prefer the straight edge blades. Favorite so far is the sevr broadheads. Never had an issue with them and you can put a screw in and use anyone of them and practice.

I'm not sure if this is worth much in terms of broadheads, but one advantage of serrated edges is that they will stay sharper if they hit a hard object. Only the points will dull while the rest of the scalloped edges of the cut will remain sharp. This is one reason why a lot of steak restaurants will give the customer a serrated steak knife, since the customer is going to be cutting right into the ceramic plate which would dull a plain edged knife extremely quickly.

Going to carry both in my quiver this year providing they hit the same place, and I can get the serrated sharp enough.

I'm not sure if this is worth much in terms of broadheads, but one advantage of serrated edges is that they will stay sharper if they hit a hard object. Only the points will dull while the rest of the scalloped edges of the cut will remain sharp. This is one reason why a lot of steak restaurants will give the customer a serrated steak knife, since the customer is going to be cutting right into the ceramic plate which would dull a plain edged knife extremely quickly.
I shot those Buzzcuts a bunch…and 1) those serrations are different than a steak knife, 2) Seems to me its the edge that does the cutting, if the tips of the serrations are dull, then its dull- doesn’t cut as well.

Hey, i like those buzzcuts…but I just haven’t seen a big difference either way.

Back