Settling on a load?

aOWENc

FNG
Hello everyone,

I have been working up a load for my antelope hunt this fall. I just started reloading for rifles about 6 months ago and have really been enjoying it, but I’m not sure when to say the accuracy/velocity is acceptable.

I am shooting a 24” 300 Wby Vangaurd S2 in a Bell and Carlson medalist stock, Burris XTR-II, Rugged Suppressor, and Hawkins rings on a 20 MOA rail.

The load I have been working up has been with Norma Brass, 168 Barnes TTSX, RL19 powder, and WLRM primers.

I began my ladder test at 79.0 grains and got average velocity readings of 3074 FPS, I worked up in .5 grain increments and am currently at 83.0 grains. The max charge is 85.5 in the Barnes manual. I was getting really poor accuracy with the lower velocity loads, but once I hit 82 grains it really started to look promising. OAL is 3.560.

83.0 grains produced the group in the photo that I attached. Velocity was 3253 FPS with an extreme spread of 22. I am seeing no pressure signs and the groups have only gotten better as I near the max charge. Would you all continue to go up in charge, or be content with the accuracy/velocity of 83.0?

Attachments

• 7EFCEFBE-6501-4EA1-AD60-24BACEA4B867.jpeg
    7EFCEFBE-6501-4EA1-AD60-24BACEA4B867.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 49
I'd be content with that if it was repeatable. I know components are tough right now, and that's a boomer rifle, but have you shot a 10 round group?

I'd load up 10 rounds right there and shoot a 10 shot group AND see what velocity numbers I got over that 10 shot group. If under an inch and a half 10 shot group and reasonable ES/SD numbers I'd be done. Sure, you could probably squeeze more velocity out of it, but do you really need it?

Id be content. . In my opinion once I hit a solid velocity with good SDs and a tight group I'm done with development. Sure you can always chase a slightly tighter group or pushing the speed to squeeze out as much as you can. Its at the expense of wear and tear on your equipment and cost of components. What people consider acceptable accuracy can vary. My latest build is legit 1/2 MOA on my 4th recipe with a 10 fps SD, I haven't messed with it since. Before that my rifle was sub 3/4 MOA which I was happy with for an elk hunt I had in the books, it hit its mark when I needed it to.

I will say 3250 fps with a 168gr TTSX is plenty of juice for everything in North America. That TTSX is a great big game bullet.

Hello everyone,

I have been working up a load for my antelope hunt this fall. I just started reloading for rifles about 6 months ago and have really been enjoying it, but I’m not sure when to say the accuracy/velocity is acceptable.

83.0 grains produced the group in the photo that I attached. Velocity was 3253 FPS with an extreme spread of 22. I am seeing no pressure signs and the groups have only gotten better as I near the max charge. Would you all continue to go up in charge, or be content with the accuracy/velocity of 83.0?
Chasing the proverbial perfect group and speed is a fun pursuit as a reloader but as an outside observer the group, velocity and es posted is bordering on comical for the intended quarry. As long as that is reasonably repeatable you are good to go. You may be able to wring a touch more out of it with further load development but personally I'd burn those components practicing with this load.

Back