SG Sky vs R3 Packs

jacob95

FNG
Looking at getting the Sky or the R3 5900 packs to pair with a Xcurve frame. What are the main differences between the two packs? Which one is better? Going to be used for 7 to 10 day backcountry hunts.

Thanks guys,
Jacob

lyle hebel

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Jacob, so obviously, there is the color difference, but there are some other differences.

R3 5900 would come on our R3 Frame. The R3 Frame utilizes a flat frame sheet and has a little more padding in the belt. The belt also has 2" webbing on for attaching accessories. The bag also has some additional internal attachment points for accessories and several reinforced stitching areas required by the government. The pack is designed for military use but still well suited on the mountain.

The Sky 5900 will come on our Xcurve Frame. The Xcurve utilizes a flat frame sheet. The belt is slightly stiffer and has 2, 1" webbing straps which allow you to cup the bet to you hips. The back of the Sky 5900 also has Xpac material, which prevents blood from leaching into the bag when hauling meat in the load-shelf. The Xcurve Frame is often the choice for guide and outfitters hauling numerous heavy loads in a season.

Both packs have the same load rating (150lbs), a 2,500+ cubic inch expandable load-shelf, full panel zip for access to the main bag, are hydration-compatible, and made in the USA.

If you need more information, feel free to call the shop, 406-404-0641.

Cheers-
Lyle

Tradchef

WKR
I have used both. They are both the same except the R3 is military grade and has molle attachments and different points for attachments. Color is different too. I used the X curve frame and the Krux Evo Frame. I never used the R3 frame only the bag. They are all comfy. X Curve is a beast of frame for hauling and taking a beating. Evo is crazy light, fits short torsos well and hauls great. My girl uses the Krux Evo with the Kiowa bag and it's a killer system

grifmXC

FNG
Lyle covered the differences between the bags. For the bags the main choices you need to decide is which color you want and if Molly attachment point inside are of value. The main difference is the frame shape and which one works best for you is all based on your body shape.

When I was narrowing it down I ended up ordering the bag with both the xcurve and the evo frame with the intent of trying them both with weight and then retuning the one that was less comfortable. If you can do the same I would highly recommend it.

With ~30lbs both frames were equally comfortable. Then I went up to 50lbs and that is where I could really feel the difference and the evo pulled ahead. With 50lbs the xcurve put a bunch of extra pressure on my hips/waste. The difference was noticeable in less than 5 mins, not something I would want to wait to find out once I had an elk on the ground and had to move a couple miles.

But again, that’s me and my body shape you could do the same and find the xcurve to be more comfortable. Any of the 3 frames (xcurve, evo, or r3) are super high quality. For reference I’m 6’2” 225lbs.

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk