Sheep steaks are awesome

Cooked up a few steaks from my ram for my wife, sister and myself. A light coating of Great American Land and Cattle steak seasoning, about 1 min per side on a very hot buttered cast iron and rest for 10 min. Superb flavor and tenderness enjoyed with a glass of our local Ben Holladay bourbon.

9ced212ff951affaaf475fd9b24f92cb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

gbflyer

WKR
I do not like lamb and really do not like mutton. A buddy gave me a couple steaks from a Dall’s years ago. I’d say it was the best eating wild game meat I’ve ever put a lip over.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a desert bighorn 10 years ago. I expected it to be similar to aoudad, which is BAD. I was very pleasantly surprised that the desert sheep was incredibly good. It tasted a lot like axis, only not as tender as axis.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cooked up a bighorn backstrap roast in a hot skillet tonight. Always incredible. Sorry no photo. Ram was from 2019 and still great.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
They are amazing…..except the ones I had from a bighorn killed in the rut. Those steaks were gamey.

Last edited:
I killed a desert bighorn 10 years ago. I expected it to be similar to aoudad, which is BAD. I was very pleasantly surprised that the desert sheep was incredibly good. It tasted a lot like axis, only not as tender as axis.
Oh man, that's tough to believe for me. I'd rather eat whitetail than any sheep, but neither come close to axis for me.

Attachments

• 20231103_215034.jpg
    20231103_215034.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 28

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife kind of poo-pooed my sheep meat (she likes deer/antelope/elk) without ever trying it. I think possibly a prejudice from childhood about "mutton".

Anyways I cooked up a roast- right between rare and medium rare. Incredibly tender and good flavored. She reluctantly said "it's not bad".

A week later I cooked some steaks, this time it's OK.

A week later she made some sheep stew- "this actually pretty good"

Now- she absolutely loves it! :D

I knew I was in for a treat when the guid grilled some tenderloin over a fire on a willow branch- no spices, no nothing. Melted in your mouth!

But the ribs, my God the ribs!

6BcWMyG.jpg

BjUjHcr.jpg