Sheep steaks are awesome

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a reverse sear roast, about a 2# roast. Seasoned and rubbed in some bacon grease. Oven at 225 with a thermometer in, pulled out at 110 degrees. Get the oven up to 500, put roast back in for 15 minutes (flipped it halfway). Very nice browning on the roast. Let roast rest until internal temp is up 145.

Perfectly rare and delicious. Should have snapped a pic.

Wife made sides of scalloped potatoes and baked a butternut squash- perfect!

squirrel

WKR
tastes do vary. Ive eaten >4... The best was an above tree line ram, and it was poor dog food, (if you dont like your dog much). The worst was a rutty Dec ram w/bow... absolutely inedible, smell it cooking outside in winter with the windows closed.

They are pretty tho

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious is it just thinhorns that are good eating? Are bighorns good eating as well?

I’ve ate a lot of wild game and was (very pleasantly) surprised how good Dall sheep was. I haven’t eaten better wild game.

OP
Marine4life
I am the OP and have only had meat from two wild rams. One was my brooks range 9 year old Dall and the other my 6 year old Nevada California bighorn. Although I can’t actually compare side by side, I would say they both were/are delicious and really can’t say one was better than the other. I will say I have eaten a lot of mutton when I was living with the ANA in Afghanistan for a year so maybe my taste for sheep is a bit developed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
the rocky I killed a few years ago was bar none the best meat I have ever tasted. Every last bite. I still regret not cooking the ribs in camp that night. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

IanCOLO

FNG
1f38f7be91f41274d34e5c94e5ce17a5.jpg

Hands down the best tenderloins I’ve ever had. It was from a November rut ram and the hide and the meat had quite a bit of odor. I soaked the tenderloins in heavy cream over night, rinsed and trimmed well and did basic seasonings. Probably the best meat I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a few rockys, desert, and Dall meat. They are all excellent. That being said, one of the Rockys was a late season ram in the rut and the meat was pretty strong. So like most animals, they can get a little ripe when they're rutting.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been very pleased with the sheep meat from my DBHS. Some of the cuts are a little chewy, but the flavor is excellent! Cooked up some backstrap with sautéed onions and mushrooms last week. Everyone agreed it was excellent.