Shelters

This year I will be going back to my light weight tipi stuctures ( tried and true for many years- my Integral Designs "George" Tarp for 2 guys. And a Golite SL-3 for solo). The ID George Tarp's design was the idea genesis for the newly made and designed Seekoutside BCS.

Also in the past for really light weight solo use and great weather expected I have used and will use again a Terra Nova Bivy Tarp (Double wall protection- small tarp and single person nest)- weighs right at 24 oz all set up all included- but... it is small.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Type/Tents/1_Person_Tents_Bivis/Bivi_Tarp.html

This past season for bivy hunting I used a Seekoutside Breakaway tarp which is about between the same size of a Kifaru Super tarp and para tarp. I used it along with the Terra nova bivy tarp's single nest inside for the 'skeeters that were bad this year:

P1020032.jpg

P1020031.jpg

But I found it a little small for my liking when compared to the weight ( The SO Breakaway weighs 16 oz. and about almost 20 all set up with the stakes and guylines). And it was more of an issue to set up compared to the ease that I put up the tipi's. But that could be that I have more experience with the small tipi's.

I missed the size weight ratio of my ID George tarp- which can fit 3 in a pinch and 2 guys is a snap and is a palace for 1. The ID George tarp weighs in at 23-24 oz with bag, all of the stakes/ lines etc. The Golite SL-3 shell weighs in at 29 with all of the stakes for me.

I found that I may like to take a little more weight with the tipi's- for more weather protection and lots more room.

Inside of the tipi's, I can run just a bag and pad, or a single nest structure like the Terra Nova Bivy's nest, or a simple light weight bivy for further warmth and protection from the weather, 'skeeters and creepy crawly's.

Last edited:
Mountain hardware skylight 1 person is a bout all that gets used anymore. I used to be a bivy guy but got tired of the hassle and heavy rain issue's in western oregon cascades I was dealing with... And most times would have to put up a tarp anyways, so the U.L. tent made more sence and even shaved a a few ounces

Im giving a kifaru paratipi a try this year. I still dont know if ill use them duing super buggy times, especially mosquito's (ill use my hubba). But i may try a bug bivy for those times in the paratipi. I love the paratipi so far, lots of room for one guy and a stove, not much for 2 and a stove though. I like to stay in my own shelter anyways, and i thought about the supertarp and annex, but i always want a door, along with the reading i did on how bombproof the paratipi was, i was sold on it. Its most likly the last solo shelter i will buy.

Now i just want a sawtooth, or maybe a 6 man!

@Luke, I've seen some posts in other forums that I believe to be yours. Your reviews of it helped me make my mind up on it. I'm not sweating it. Just don't want to testify to something I haven't experienced yet.

Did you post a video up from Kodiak with Stid in a sawtooth?

Yep I posted up that video of the Sawtooth on Kodiak. Lots o' wind, rain, and snow indeed, or just another day on the Rock. :D

For light and fast - para tarp pitched like a wing over a ID bivy. For compromise on weight or 2 man shelter - Sawtooth (probably will get the most use). For basecamp, car camp, family style - 12 man kifaru tipi.

I am running the Big Agnes Three Wire Bivy on bivy hunts and running my Akto when I think a tent is needed. I may also give the Big Agnes Platinum a try this year if I get a chance.

Aron, I dont know how you make a choice of what your going to take with the shelter collection you have! You make us all want to spend some coin 4sure.

I'm looking hard at that Tigoat Omni Raven Bivi + paratarp/supertarp/paratipi/Shangrila3 That might be the ticket!

When I use my Shangri-La tents (I have a 3 and a 5) without a nest then I use a TI goat bivy. Generally I sleep with my head out as the bugs are usually not too but, but I always order with the zip up the screen option just in case. The SL-3 with the TI goat means I don't have to worry if the wind changes direction in the middle of the night like you might with a paratarp or the like that might turn into a parachute. The SL-3 is 1.5 pounds. The TI bivy is .4 pounds so your shelter setup is still sub 2 pounds and you get 60 sq ft of space along with full protection for the elements from all directions.

Changes in wind direction is one of the reasons i like the paratipi over a tarp. I think this shelter could take wind from about all directions pretty well. And i have a few hunts where i would be setting up camp, and leaving it for a possibly the whole 10 days. And the option of adding a stove really got me as well.

Any of you guys have problems where the wind changed and turned your tarp into a sail?

Also keep in mind you can use trekking poles for the paratipi as well, I believe just the shell and stakes alone weighed something like 2lbs a few oz on my scale. Pretty good considering what your getting for a solo shelter.

So many options,its hard, but thats half the fun. But i think ill be sticking with Kifaru shelters for quite a while, i already want to get another one.

Last edited:
Mountain Hardware Drifter 3. It weighs 5lb 15oz packed which y'all are going to say is very very heavy but I like the space. In Washington St. the rain can make you miserable unless you can get out of it for awhile.

Back