Shipping Antlers Home?

rootacres

WKR
This is my first time flying to a hunt, rather than driving. What success have you all had shipping antlers back to your home? Do you fly with them? package them up in a box or cooler? What say you?

Thank you,

If at all possible, take them on the plane in your checked bags. I shipped a whitetail rack via UPS a few years ago and they gigged me almost $80. That was from Missouri to the Seattle area. I guess I should have asked what type of critter. The luggage option might not be viable with something huge.

Last edited:
Get some pipe insulation and cut it into pieces. Cover the tines and wrap with duct tape. Wrap the skull plate with plastic and duct tape. Check it on your flight home. Never had a problem this way. If you want to do a euro you’d have to get the brain matter out of it before flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shipped in big box. Shipped in no box (garden hose cut and slipped onto antler ends) and flown with them too

Whatever you want to do - do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put this guys horns in my large duffel. Cut a piece of aspen and taped between horns to prevent skull piece from cracking. Tell airport people they are fragile and they will label your bag. I have also made boxes to ship horns home on the plane. Always no issue. I wouldnt trust the mail service.

Attachments

• 22Mulie.jpg
    22Mulie.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Duh
For elk antlers, I will cut the skull plate and crack it and put the horns in my large duffel too, just measure tip to tip outside so you can reset them.

Cutting the skull plate in a V makes it easier to put back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some places are getting funny with shipping. The UPS I just left said they will not ship antlers. I asked if it was a company policy or a regional thing and she replied it was up to the person that owned that store. Not all will run into this, just forwarding what I learned.

(I was there to ship bear teeth and had trouble getting those shipped...)

If packed properly, they can go as checked baggage if they are too big to fit in a duffle (I hope they are). Protect antler tips, cardboard on the outside, stick in between the antler sides, wrap in plastic two times.

IMG_0364.JPG

Back