Shoot 00 Buck thru Turkey Choke?

cnelk

WKR
My research has come up with conflicting results in regards to shooting 00 Buck thru a Turkey choke.

Some say - yes.
Some say - no.

What does the Rokslide team say?

hodgeman

WKR
You'll likely blow out the pattern as mentioned above. What's the intended purpose?

Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" in 'T' reaches a long way through a full or turkey choke and is lethal as all get out.

Fatcamp

WKR
What does your choke manufacturer say.

My best buckshot patterns came with modified, but who knows. I have a box of Dead Coyote T around somewhere. Bet that stuff would kill a pig.

You'll likely blow out the pattern as mentioned above. What's the intended purpose?

Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" in 'T' reaches a long way through a full or turkey choke and is lethal as all get out.
I’ve heard that stuff is good. But man for $80-$100 a box it’s pricey

go_deep

WKR
I have an undertaker turkey choke, shot 00 out of it years ago at coyotes. Was very effective out to 75ish yards. Never even looked at the choke to see if it was "recommended".

satchamo

WKR
I’ve always put it through a modified and had no problems but I also haven’t really spent much time patterning my gun. I rarely use these days unless a coyote is just that close…

All of these died with a shotgun.

Get you a Full Comp-N-Choke and some 3.5" HV Winchester 00 buck to go with it.

Its VERY effective out to 50 yards.

Disclaimer, I have never killed a big boar with it, but I am sure they couldnt survive it. Its just so damn deadly.

IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

I always use a modified choke for pigs with 00, but I pull my plug and load max shells the gun will hold...let the sounder get a close as possible, 30-40 yds, and empty the gun...just remember to reload before you get up to clean up cripples.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Sounds good guys - thanks for the insight.

My 12ga is a Winchester 1300 - 3" chamber- I have the Modified choke and also a turkey choke.

Maybe I should get a Full choke?

BTW - havent patterned the gun yet

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Also - I have regular 3" 00 Buck and 2 3/4" Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck [8 pellets w/ VersaTite wad]

Thoughts on these?

Felix40

WKR
I used to shoot it out of a full choke all the time. No issues at all. I have no idea about a turkey choke.

dtrkyman

WKR
I’ve used number 4 buck and the T or B hevi shot from a turkey choke, deadly!

N ever thought there were enough pellets in the large shot.

This was for coyotes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In most guns, a modified choke will give the best patterns in 00. The turkey choke will cause flat spots on the large pellets and they will not fly consistent.

All of these died with a shotgun.

Get you a Full Comp-N-Choke and some 3.5" HV Winchester 00 buck to go with it.

Its VERY effective out to 50 yards.

Disclaimer, I have never killed a big boar with it, but I am sure they couldnt survive it. Its just so damn deadly.

View attachment 385772

View attachment 385771
I have to disagree about the big boars, those 200 lb and above. On those big boars, you can be looking at 2" to 3" inches of grizzle plate to get to the vitals. I have skinned several that had buck shot stuck in the plate and healed over.

That brown hog was killed dead as a door-nail at 40 yards. 11 of the pellets hit it in the vitals.

Like I said, I never killed a big boar with buckshot. Shot a few with a 30-06.

But, if they were close enough even a big boar there is no way they could survive something as devastating as that 3.5" or even 3" HV 00 buckshot......especially if you could get 2 rounds into them. Odds are when your hunting hogs you are going to be seeing more sows and piglets anyhow...

I am not doubting you pulled buckshot from their plates. But, I would have to see it to believe it if a big boar could soak up a direct hit at 20-30 yards from one of my buckshot loads and survive....just saying.