Shooting a animal head on?

i would rather pass on it because most likely the animal is looking at you and has an oppertunity to jump the shot, inside of 15-20 yards not a real big deal. for bow anyway. i probably wouldnt take that shot any farther then that. i also wouldnt do it on a bear, their dang head seems to always be in the way of where i want to shoot them. and the two times ive seen them hit head on they always run right at the guy. rifle i have zero problem with it.

OP
brewer427

brewer427

WKR
It's a great kill shot. Have personally taken it successfully, clean fast kill with a bow. It's also been what to death on the Internet including here. If your not comfortable with it you probably shouldn't be and likely don't have the skill to take it. So don't

I guess I haven't seen any threads on the internet but probably just wasn't paying attention, and it's not that I don't have the skill to take this shot, I can shoot a pretty dang tight group out to 70 yards, it's just to me if that animal moves to the left or right when you hit the release I don't think it would end well.

To each his own I guess, don't want to get anybody ticked off and go nuts on the forum just was curious what some of your thoughts were.

JP100

WKR
Have shot heaps(50+) animals like this with the rifle. It is one of my favorite shots with a rifle to be honest. nothing kills them faster.
With a bow I would take it at close range. Wouldnt have a problem with it.
My mates last red stag he shot with the bow was front on and the arrow nearly exited at the stags hip bones.
Just need practice shooting animals and your confidence will build.

brettb

FNG
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
I personally think it comes down to personal opinion.i have petsonally seen 4 different elk shot st under 10 yds fith bow and black powder. all 4 never recovered. but i have shot elk head on and to only watch them run minmal distance. like alot of other folkes have stated if u dont k.ow the anatomy of an animal dont take the shot. have been processing animals since i was a lil brett, not saying ive grown much but if youre not 100% sure of the shot the why even consider it? only thing you have to remember is if you personally are not positive of a kill shot that you garanteed to take the life of an animal then why take it. remember there is a reason why they call them big game and not weak game.just show respect to the animal you are pursuing.

JP100

WKR
I've never been faced with this shot rifle or otherwise, wouldn't this shot ruin the cape?

Small hole probably.
As my uncle would say "give the taxidermist some thing to do" haha.
they can stitch pretty big holes pretty well.
but yea probably not the best for a perfect cape

I like to put small bullet holes in the cape so I get less grief over the hatchet job I do skinning the face.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a rifle for myself this is a done deal and have done it many times. Archery for myself it is broadside or slightly quartering away. I've let many very nice bulls walk away as close as 5 yds frontal only during archery. I feel I can create a better opp for myself with less margin for error and if not oh well. This is a personal shot selection we each have to make. I know the anatomy and it just isn't for me with a bow. The last one up close and personal is my ring tone from two years ago, he walked but I hear him everyday.

tttoadman

WKR
Seems to me the conflict comes in when people try to generalize the shot placement. The rifle guy can shoot the base of the neck and be done. The bow guy likely needs to be aiming for the lower half where the vitals are. I would assume the bow guy shoots a little off enter to not stick the sternum. It seems to me the problems come in when a bow guy hits the no man land up high. This is no different than any of us would do on a broadside shot hit too high. Under the spine, but above the vitals. This equals a long night with little blood on the ground regardless if it was a gun or a bow.

For the record. I have no hesitation shooting this shot.

The frontal shot is one of the most deadly shot placements out there. More so than broadside. Frontal shots result in massive blood loss and dead animals quick. Simply devastating. All the arteries in the neck area plus your goes and hits vitals and internal organs!

If you aren't comfortable taking the shot...then don't take it. But learn the anatomy of animals if you want to widen your kill shot oppurtunities.

I have taken the shot and killed a few animals with the frontal shot. If the animal is close I'm not afraid to take the shot.

Bigdan from bowsite has killed 50 something elk with a bow. He has gone 17 for 17 on quartering to or frontal shots.

Rocky

WKR
Small hole probably.
As my uncle would say "give the taxidermist some thing to do" haha.
they can stitch pretty big holes pretty well.
but yea probably not the best for a perfect cape

The hole is an easy repair that takes about five minutes

JP100

WKR
The frontal shot is one of the most deadly shot placements out there. More so than broadside. Frontal shots result in massive blood loss and dead animals quick. Simply devastating. All the arteries in the neck area plus your goes and hits vitals and internal organs!

strongly agree. to me front on shot is awesome.
kills animals faster then anywhere else in the chest.
pretty high chance you will take out big arteries,wind pipe, top of lungs and into the liver. Aint no animal going to survive that for long.

Here's a video of the elk I shot head on this year. I didn't hesitate taking the frontal shot at 200 yards. The results are remarkable. After he rolls you can see the blood pour out of his nose if you watch closely. This was with a .308 shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX. With a bow I'd take the same shot within a certain distance.
http://youtu.be/pL6FbUj41-E

JP100

WKR
Here's a video of the elk I shot head on this year. I didn't hesitate taking the frontal shot at 200 yards. The results are remarkable. After he rolls you can see the blood pour out of his nose if you watch closely. This was with a .308 shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX. With a bow I'd take the same shot within a certain distance.
http://youtu.be/pL6FbUj41-E

good shot. dont think the 2nd shot was really needed. he wasnt going anywhere haha

Call me inexperienced if you want but I doubt I will ever take a head on shot. Ive chased too many gut shot animals that others shot and seen too many killed but not recovered bulls to even consider a head on shot with a bow. I respect the animals I hunt too much to take a less than ethical shot

I guess I'll go ahead and call you inexperienced then if you think it's unethical. Lol just kidding. The frontal shot is more deadly than a broadside shot. I have heard of lots of broadside hit animals that were lost. I haven't heard of many horror stories on the frontal shot.

And a frontal shot is nothing similar to a gut shot animal. The arrow may go through the guts... but after severe blood loss and going through the vitals 1st!

On a side note. You shouldn't chase gut shot animals. A good rule
Of thumb is to give them a long time (8 hours) to bed down a die. Chasing them pushes them and results in no blood trail and often a lost critter.

Shot my buck this year just inside the shoulder on a slightly turned head on shot at 54yds. He went 80yds and folded up. Shot a cow head on at 32yds. She jumped, took about 5 steps, looked around and tipped over. It's an extremely lethal shot but it varies from shooter to shooter as to whether to take it. I shoot all year, study elk anatomy and have actually examined the kill options if actual elk I've killed while deboning. On top of that I shoot an 80lb speed bow with 500+ grain arrows for max penetration. It's up to the hunter to do the research and evaluate his own ability and then decide whether to shoot or pass.