Legality of shooting TOWARD a road?

Ucsdryder

WKR
The state line legality thread got me thinking…

I know it’s illegal in most/all states to shoot over a road, but what is the law regarding shooting TOWARD a road? Animal and hunter are on the same side, at what point is it legal vs illegal? Is it as easy as calculating the ballistics and figuring out when the bullet drops more than the aiming height, thus guaranteeing the projectile doesn’t reach the road, but that doesn’t take into account deflections?

The easy answer might be just don’t hunt near a road. But realistically, there are a lot of situations where that is not feasible.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
This should be easy and well known of Jeff Coopers 4 rules.
Rule #4 applies here.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
I fall into the category of just don't be a dumbass about it.
Have killed plenty of critters right off the road.

Pass shooting geese, road hunting roosters. Have a few duck spots they naturally cross over the road from slough to slough.

Just something u learn to navigate.

Rule #4 applies here.
The easy part is definitely rule #4.

But first, you have to know the local law governing how far from a road you’re allowed to shoot a firearm, and this varies by county.

Bullets deflect and do weird shit. Theres zero guarantee it stops where you’re aiming. A bullet can almost always bounce and go over a road or hiking trail while hunting. Just do your best to have a backstop, put a lot of woods & distance between, and act as though it’s your house or car in the distance.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Rule #4 applies here.
What’s beyond? How far from the road is “ok”.

This scenario happened to me this year btw…

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
But first, you have to know the local law governing how far from a road you’re allowed to shoot a firearm, and this varies by county.
How far from the road surface is a valid but different subject. Varies by state law.
What’s beyond? How far from the road is “ok”.

This scenario happened to me this year btw…
You have to know whats beyond your target or its unsafe to shoot. You have to ask yourself where will the bullet go if you miss, or maybe passes thru the game. If you do not know where the bullet will end up your putting others lives at risk. If there is a law that says you cant shoot over a road, and a road is behind your target, then its illegal to shoot in that direction.

Its not always practical, but positioning yourself for a safe shot has to always be considered in how we stalk or place ourselves in the field hunting game.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Every direction there is a road at some point.
Some areas in the desert there are 2 tracks everywhere.
So are we talking named and numbered roads?

I really think its just going to boil down to if you are endangering the public or not.
There is definitely a lot of subjectivity but my understanding is that if its legal to drive a street legal vehicle on the law applies. I think OHV vehicles would fall into being on a trail so the law would apply to those routes as well.

I would argue, I think, that at some point a calibers trajectory comes into play but I dont often hunt in desert environments. Agree that common sense and public safety are key.

There is definitely a lot of subjectivity but my understanding is that if its legal to drive a street legal vehicle on the law applies. I think OHV vehicles would fall into being on a trail so the law would apply to those routes as well.

I would argue, I think, that at some point a calibers trajectory comes into play but I dont often hunt in desert environments. Agree that common sense and public safety are key.
There are spots in the Oregon desert there are 2 tracks every 500 yards 360 degrees.

I've never heard of some getting in trouble out there hunting.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
There are spots in the Oregon desert there are 2 tracks every 500 yards 360 degrees.

I've never heard of some getting in trouble out there hunting.
Ive hunted out there a couple times and agree with you. Ive never heard of anyone getting in trouble, out there. I agree common sense applies. I dont think any officer would cite someone taking game across an unmarked 2 track where its clearly visible no one else is around. But who knows. Maybe if the 2 track is on a map or has a trail number. I know a lot of what I saw out there wasnt labled on anything but its been a long time now.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Is it as easy as calculating the ballistics and figuring out when the bullet drops more than the aiming height, thus guaranteeing the projectile doesn’t reach the road, but that doesn’t take into account deflections?
I missed this part at first. If were talking about how far away from a road then I think the bullets trajectory would apply.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
The official “legal” answer is - it does vary by state.

I was hunting in an area this year that was very open. A game warden was parked and watching us and some animals. My only shot was toward a road. Probably 400 yards past the animals, which were 300 yards away. I passed on the shot…

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I was hunting in an area this year that was very open. A game warden was parked and watching us and some animals. My only shot was toward a road. Probably 400 yards past the animals, which were 300 yards away. I passed on the shot…
I think you made the right call.
a 300yd holdover would easily send the bullet well past another 100yds.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Bullet drop was 10 feet at 700 yards. 12” at 300 yards. Bullet wouldn’t have made the road. If you’re going to take into account a bullet ricocheting then you can’t shoot toward a road that’s within a mile or more.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Guessing it was a pronghorn? Must not have been an 80” … I kid I kid…

Last edited:

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Bullet drop was 10 feet at 700 yards. 12” at 300 yards. Bullet wouldn’t have made the road. If you’re going to take into account a bullet ricocheting then you can’t shoot toward a road that’s within a mile or more.
I thought you said the road was about 400yds?
In any case, Rule #4 always applies. Including ricochets, if you don't have a backstop or know whats beyond the deer then you shouldn't take the shot.