Shrek's armed camping trip 2015 ;)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I finally got the pictures of me and my elk off the camera. For some reason the camera wouldn't link to my phone so all I could do was set a timer and set it on a rock. Terrible picture but it's all I have. I was just sitting here thinking how much I wished I was still hunting elk right now ! I hiked twelve miles today on local trail but its tiny hills are nothing :(

Attachments

• OI000011.jpg
    OI000011.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 292

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just sitting here thinking how much I wished I was still hunting elk right now ! I hiked twelve miles today on local trail but its tiny hills are nothing :(

We all are buddy, we all are. Is it September yet?

I had forgotten how cool your bull looked with it's funky brow tine.

It's good to see you are a real person and not the Tyler Durden of Rokslide.

bz_711

WKR
I finally got the pictures of me and my elk off the camera. For some reason the camera wouldn't link to my phone so all I could do was set a timer and set it on a rock. Terrible picture but it's all I have. I was just sitting here thinking how much I wished I was still hunting elk right now ! I hiked twelve miles today on local trail but its tiny hills are nothing :(

Nice job Shrek! I just found this thread today...and your "Posse on Broadway" comment lets me know we would get along just fine...I still have the Swass cassette somewhere...

Great bull and fun to follow along, thanks for sharing - what are you thinking for 2016?

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Much the same as this year except I won't get the unlimited Mule deer tag and instead go with a general tag so I can go somewhere new to hunt deer. Might go somewhere else in Montana for elk too. I like to see new places and meet new people. Idaho elk if I can save enough cash.
I've got one good elk spot in pocket but what's the challenge to going to the same well again and again ? The jungle of north Idaho bested me this year so I want another bite at that Apple. I feel the need to beat that place and.pull an elk out of it. The more time I spend hunting the west the more I realize how much great country there is to discover and hunt. Between Montana , Idaho , and Colorado there is so much general hunting units to explore it's ridiculous ! There are opportunities to have a great hunt and harvest an elk in all of them.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Do hope you go again this fall but in the meantime you need to build a couple of rifles!

I'm on the lookout for a hunk of American iron in the form of a lathe for not too much money. I've had a half dozen false starts so far but I'll find one to jump off onto soon enough.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I just want to follow up on the best part of the memories from this trip. Elk ! It's what's for dinner ! I'm more than half way through my elk now and if I don't kill another one this fall I'll be bitterly disappointed. I usually grind most game I kill but I won't be grinding near as much elk in the future. It is really too mild to stand out in chili , spaghetti , or tacos but the steaks are amazing ! Grilled , pan fried with onions and peppers , chicken fried , you name it and elk in steak form is awesome ! For any of you who haven't killed your first elk I'm telling you now , don't grind it all !

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I didn't weight it or count but it filled a 7 cubic foot freezeri gave a few packs to friends but not much. I thought it would have been a little more some the butcher might have skimmed some for himself or one of the employees. I left it in his freezer for a couple of weeks at his grocery store so who knows ? I'm hoping to get a B tag to go with my general elk so I won't run out of elk. May or June my freezer will be empty I think.