Shrek's armed camping trip 2015 ;)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Had what I think was a small buck at 20 yards in very thick small timber. Body was big for a doe and neck looked thicker too but I could only catch tiny bits of his head. Even at 20 yards with 10x binoculars I couldn't piece it together. A friend of a friend is working down the other side of this timber finger so I backed out. It didn't have the body of a big deer.

Shrek,

If what you saw kill the rabbit was bigger than the rabbit, it was probably a pine martin. Weasels are rarely over 10" in length and very slight where a Martin is 1.5-2 feet in length. Smaller than a Fisher, but bigger than a Mink and much bigger than a weasel.

Awesome to see!

-dan

I saw a weasel once when out walking around in the rain and I was beginning to doubt myself cause it was small: looked like a small ferret. It was up in some oak brush out on a branch at eye level and since I had never seen one before I had no clue what I was looking at. This was also in an absolute downpour so it was odd to see anything out and about.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I just looked pine Martin up and that is most likely what it was. Body size was right for it. I've seen 16 does slipping in timber so far. No bucks since this morning. Had one doe walk 6'-7' in front of me and never saw or smelled me.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm about out now. I'm at the top of the nob above the trailhead. There is the same group of six hunters up here so I'm bugging out for the weekend. Bucks are not with the does and I don't think chances are good with all the pressure and wind. Need some bucks to move down with the does. Hopefully the cooler weather next week and the rut coming will have some big bucks move in and the crew head out. I'm also contemplating hunting a spot for whitetail bucks. I'd rather eat a whitetail any day over a sage eating mule deer.

hobbes

WKR
Congrats Shrek. Good to hear from you today. I missed this thread because I had only looked in the elk forum. I know what you mean about wanting a second tag. Im not accustomed to being without an elk tag in rifle season but I'm not complaining. I hope filling my tag in bow season becomes my standard mode of operation. Good luck chasing your buck, muley or whitetail. I'm hoping to bowhunt whitetails some myself over the next few weeks then a possible eastern MT rifle hunt with the family.

I'm about out now. I'm at the top of the nob above the trailhead. There is the same group of six hunters up here so I'm bugging out for the weekend. Bucks are not with the does and I don't think chances are good with all the pressure and wind. Need some bucks to move down with the does. Hopefully the cooler weather next week and the rut coming will have some big bucks move in and the crew head out. I'm also contemplating hunting a spot for whitetail bucks. I'd rather eat a whitetail any day over a sage eating mule deer.

"Bugging out for the weekend"?

You dog, you! Say "Hi" to the hotel clerk for us!

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I've been doing a lot of thinking and my mind is already on next year. I'm definitely coming back here but without the deer tag. I really don't care about mule deer and the area doesn't have great genetics to get me excited. I'll get the combo with straight general and go east to hunt deer if I punch the elk early. I really don't even care to go back in this year but my camp is up there so I'll go hunt this week until I get sick of it or tag a buck.
Next year I am aiming to hunt Wyoming so I've been studying all morning. Question I have is if I put in for a hard to draw unit as first and second and a general as third will I get a point or will the general third choice kill it ?

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm not done yet :) . I'm heading back up tomorrow as the weather breaks and I'll hunt a couple days. If the bigger muley bucks don't show I'll pack it up and go hunt whitetails for a day or two. Then I'm done. I've been vegging in the motel room all night and today so I should be sick of sitting around by the morning.

weaver

WKR
You won't draw the Wyoming general tag as a 2nd or 3rd choice unless you enter the special draw.
Even then I don't think it was a sure thing this year to draw the general as a 2nd choice in the special draw.

As far as points, it only takes them if you draw your first choice.

Mtnboy

WKR
Just got caught up on this. I kept thinking it would pop up in the elk forum.

Big congrats man! That's an accomplishment to be proud of!

AZ Vince

WKR
The elder hottie hotel clerk must've wore him out so he's stealing away to hunt and catch up on his beauty sleep and using hunting as his excuse. :)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Sorry to have dropped off but I was just burned out. I decided I didn't want to kill a Mule deer unless it was really big and with the genetics of the area and the lack of rut activity it was unlikely I'd find that deer so I just hung out in town and met some great locals and gathered intel for next year until my elk head was cleaned. I got home yesterday. I took a pretty leisurely drive home down some old back roads and saw the country. US 385 down through eastern Colorado's high plains was cool in a flat high plains sort of way. Some time this week I'll try to put down a few thoughts about what worked and what didn't. One thing that didn't was the 4Core gloves I used. My right thumb has lost all feeling in the last 3/16" or so and the right ring finger tip is a little numb too :(.

AZ Vince

WKR
Welcome home.
Please send our Hotel Clerk back by Greyhound at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

The Management