Simplifying Bow Setup

WCB

WKR
I went to a shorter bow and ended up regretting it. I plain and simply didn't shoot it as well. If anything just have a stabilizer for when you are in the stand and take the back bar off.

With that said I have two Bowtech Prodigys. 1 is my standard bow for spot and stalk or in a stand (I'll shoot out farther than your stating though). It has a 12 inch front stabilizer and is set at 70lbs. My second one I just reconfigured for hunting late season out of a blind. 62lbs, 6" stabilizer, I have the cams set on the comfort setting, 4" vanes, etc. More forgiving, easier to draw in subzero weather after sitting for hours. Usually shots are 30 and in. So I get what you are going for.

Just some post-season thoughts I’m having as I count down the days until September. Also, I’m intentionally posting this in the whitetail section versus the archery, because I feel i can better reach the audience that id like to hear more thoughts and comments from.

I shoot a Mathews V3 31, 68lbs 29in DL. Front and rear bars, MBG 3 pin slider. I absolutely love my bow and shoot about as often as I can in the yard. This was the first year I really got into bow hunting and killed my first two deer with a bow (both does). I love tinkering and playing with gear. Sights, rests, releases, you name it. I don’t think I have an over complicated setup by any means, but have any of you ever “simplified” your bow set up for whitetail only hunting? The farthest I’ll shoot at a deer is 30 yards, maybe 35 if everything is perfect. With that in mind, I’ve often thought about going to a shorter ATA bow, simple 1/2 pin sight, ease up on the stabilizers, hell, maybe even back to an index release. There was times when I wished my bow was a little lighter, a little shorter, etc, although I can’t say that I ever missed a shot opportunity because of my gear. Maybe I’m just wanting someone to tell me I need another bow. A dedicated 3D bow and a simple hunting bow, idk. If anyone has had similar thoughts or done this themselves, let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lot of guys I know don't even shoot with a stabilizer anymore! For shots 30 or less, it doesnt seem to be a huge deal

I have used a back on a few bows and myself I don’t feel like for 40-50 and less like most whitetail shots happen it’s overkill. I know a lot of people will disagree and I’m no expert by any means. But I get along good with good front bar.

I refuse to use a slider. For the reason of keeping it simple. I want to remove any variable that can go wrong. When a trophy buck comes trotting in and my adrenaline starts pumping, there needs to be as little room for human error as possible.

Keep it simple, fixed pin every 10 yards and practice a lot.

I have argued it with every one of my buddies I’ve shot 3D with. I’ve watched every single one of them forget to adjust their slider on the 3D course. Yep, on a 3D practice course. Now add in a deer that’s moving, your adrenaline is pumping, you need to move as minimally as possible. Why on earth would you put something on your bow that needs adjustment while there’s a deer in front of you. If you can’t make the adjustment you’re forced to guess.

Other than that, to simplify, I agree with most on the stabilizers. Just something simple on the front. I also have eliminated as much from my string as possible, no kisser, no peep sight tubing. Just practice a lot and you don’t need all the extra trinkets.

I shoot a short ATA Triax. My accuracy decreased ever so slightly from a longer ATA bow.

CMF

WKR
After going to a 3 pin slider, I'd stick with it, even if I was just whitetail hunting. Even though most shots are closer, it's great for practice and you never know when you might end up with a longer shot.

With lo pro fixed quiver on V3X I haven't been using any stabs. I still want to do some testing at longer distance, but I'm happy out to 60 without them.

A shorter a2a and lighter bow would be the only thing to make me upgrade now. I miss how small my DXT was, whitetail and out west.

CMF

WKR
Why on earth would you put something on your bow that needs adjustment while there’s a deer in front of you. If you can’t make the adjustment you’re forced to guess.
I would rarely adjust my sights in the field for whitetail. I can't think of once that I would have for whitetail in the east.
For big game only(not turkey or grouse shooting) setting pins at 25/40/50, I would kill 90% of whitetail with 25yd pin. It's nice to have for dialing in your bow at longer yardages without adding additional pins that cluster your sight picture.

I would rarely adjust my sights in the field for whitetail. I can't think of once that I would have for whitetail in the east.
For big game only(not turkey or grouse shooting) setting pins at 25/40/50, I would kill 90% of whitetail with 25yd pin. It's nice to have for dialing in your bow at longer yardages without adding additional pins that cluster your sight picture.
That makes sense. If you were going to shoot one at 40, how high do you hold your 25? Just curious. My bow shoots 290 FPS or so and the drop is quite significant. I was surprised how far my 20 and 40 pin are actually. The 50 pin is particularly far. I don’t shoot that heavy of an arrow but not super light either. I can’t tell you exactly. In the keep it simple line of thinking, I don’t weight arrows, tinker with weight forward etc. I buy the arrows my archery shop recommends and practice a lot.

Editing: you have a 40 yard pin I see now. I guess my question more applies to guys with a single pin. The answer may be that they won’t shoot 40. I don’t like to but if the situation presents itself, I’m confident and been practicing a lot, I sure as heck like knowing I have a pin there to use and not have to guess. I could totally see myself, in the heat of the moment, just get that 25 yard pin on a giant buck and let it fly. Then start crying because I didn’t do what I was supposed to and hold high. My brain basically stops working when I’m about to release an arrow on a big deer. It’s an odd phenomenon for sure. I’ve really had to teach myself to slow things down.

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
That makes sense. If you were going to shoot one at 40, how high do you hold your 25? Just curious. My bow shoots 290 FPS or so and the drop is quite significant. I was surprised how far my 20 and 40 pin are actually. The 50 pin is particularly far. I don’t shoot that heavy of an arrow but not super light either. I can’t tell you exactly. In the keep it simple line of thinking, I don’t weight arrows, tinker with weight forward etc. I buy the arrows my archery shop recommends and practice a lot.
Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm shooting 3 pin slider, I'd hold 40 yd pin for 40. I meant by the 90% that those were within 20 to 35 yards

Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm shooting 3 pin slider, I'd hold 40 yd pin for 40. I meant by the 90% that those were within 20 to 35 yards
That seems like a good system! I was thinking you had single pin when I replied. How low do you hold your 25 pin on a deer at 10 yards? My two biggest deer have been at 6 and 8 yards. I practice that close stuff from elevated position often. I found it I aim low I actually hit low, so I just use my 20 pin on anything inside 20.

I do wish I had a slider for 3D and when I go on western hunts. But I don’t because of the human error aspect. Sometimes it sucks only having pins to 60 on 3D courses. I have to do the hold high and guess!