Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody Review

I’ve bought two on sale to compliment my MDWi hoodies. I’m a fan for warmer temps or higher exertion type activities. I’m glad to have both pieces to cover most of my kinetic hunting/fishing needs.

I have both and have been using both as well :)
Oh, your review and words of wisdom put me at ease buying the MDWi’s last year. It’s a really efficient layering piece. Looking forward to your new review coming up.

Last edited:
Too bad it was such a short term piece. They already did away with the brown color. Think they used some excess Arrowhead material and once gone it’s gone.
I think the materials (Alpha and Evolve) are here to stay. It’s still a new layer to most outdoor folks. I bet new iterations will be forthcoming as the masses figure out where these pieces fit in.

I personally like the 30D face fabric even if it hinders breathability ever so slightly. The durability trade-off seems to be in favor, from the anecdotal evidence I see folks talking about. The Alpha/30D face breathes just fine for me and I have no pilling under my heavy nylon chest holster yet.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad it was such a short term piece. They already did away with the brown color. Think they used some excess Arrowhead material and once gone it’s gone.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this lower alpha/evolve insulation/gridfleece piece will be gone; it might get a new name and a few minor changes, but this pieces really ticks a ton of boxes.

Of course Patagonia was "famous" for coming out with a really good piece only to have it discontinued :(

ChrisAU

WKR
I could be wrong, but I don't think this lower alpha/evolve insulation/gridfleece piece will be gone; it might get a new name and a few minor changes, but this pieces really ticks a ton of boxes.

Of course Patagonia was "famous" for coming out with a really good piece only to have it discontinued :(

I hope not, still really like my MDWi full zip hoodies. I have the new Ambient full zip hoody as well though for some reason I don't find myself grabbing it as often as my MDWi's.

@mtwarden at some point I would be interested in hearing your comparative thoughts across the alpha / evolve line like I like this one for this but it is too heavy/warm for that, etc.

although I still believe you are a Sitka spy sent here to get me to spend more money.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden at some point I would be interested in hearing your comparative thoughts across the alpha / evolve line like I like this one for this but it is too heavy/warm for that, etc.

although I still believe you are a Sitka spy sent here to get me to spend more money.

In my review I compare the UL piece directly w/ the MDWi/Ambient :)

I have not been able to discern any difference in performance in same (or close) weight Alpha vs Evolve insulation. Even on close inspection (not microscope) I can't tell difference on how it looks (sans colors).

If I'm not mistaken, I think Arcteyx (and maybe others) are using this same (or very, very similar) insulation w/ different names.

TX_Diver

WKR
@mtwarden

Thanks for reviewing. Have you tried this compared to a Kuiu Peloton 240? Considering grabbing a second midlayer that could be used for town/work, as well as hunting if I want and was leaning towards another Peloton. This looks interesting too though.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t tried the 240, but have the 97. Fleece mid-layers work, but I think you’d find the new Alpha/Evolution work better at moving moisture.

Great review as always! Intriguing piece your arrowhead review about got me to buy one and I wish I had as they were discounted and available. Might pick this up to try for spring hunts before it’s unavailable too.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

I have to say hats off to Sitka for jumping in with both feet in embracing Alpha/Evolution insulation and for offering several different options w/ this type of insulation.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another small data point—was out today hiking, mid 30's w/ a mix of light rain/light snow, was pleasantly surprised that the DWR on the UL did pretty well. Was a little over an hour on the trail and the precip just beaded up—again this light precip; if it's raining, grab your hardshell :D

pugwylde

FNG
I'm a big fan of the UL Ambient... Used it as a mid layer under a Mountain Evo from late archery all the way through January driving snows chasing predators. I just adjust my base layer for how long I think I'll spend not moving.