Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody Review

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did they get rid of the 60 already? Can’t find it online at all.

They were blowing them out at 50% off so didn't last long; hoping they keep it (or something very similar) in their lineup

They were blowing them out at 50% off so didn't last long; hoping they keep it (or something very similar) in their lineup
I literally wear my original Ambient hoody everyday (wife loves that 🙄) so I’m really hoping they continue to make these. My absolute favorite mid layer.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I literally wear my original Ambient hoody everyday (wife loves that 🙄) so I’m really hoping they continue to make these. My absolute favorite mid layer.
What size for the UL 60 do you need? I vigilantly waited for sizes to pop up and got a medium and large. Going to keep the large and I can still return the medium, but am happy to send it over if that’s what you need.

Why did they get rid of the original Ambient hoody? I have one, love it, wearing it at work as I type this......curious why they discontinued it....

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why did they get rid of the original Ambient hoody? I have one, love it, wearing it at work as I type this......curious why they discontinued it....

I think the 100 is basically the original just with full zip vs pullover

Kostrize

WKR

I saw comments that they’re re-designing most of the Ambient line. I expect it to come back in some form

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw comments that they’re re-designing most of the Ambient line. I expect it to come back in some form

Yeah it's far too effective to let it go, probably a little refining here and there :)

Kostrize

WKR
I’m hoping for a hybrid Ambient with an uinsulated back panel and underarms like the Evo. Feels like Sitka was testing the waters for hybrid designs this year

Really hoping they go back to the half zip from the original. Love not having a full zipper on my original hoodie.
Agree. Prefer a half zip for 2nd layer. I like the zip length of the original ambient. My third layer, a Kenai Hooded, full zip of course but I do prefer a pullover for 2nd.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they go back to a non-full zip, hope they keep in mind the UL- if all "half" zip zippers were as long as the UL I probably wouldn't grouse about them as much as I do :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last couple of weeks I've been wearing both the Ambient UL and the MDWi (basically the new Ambient 100)—which one I choose has simply come down to temperature and while there is certainly some overlap room; if it's about 25 degrees or above I've been using the UL, below that, the MDWi/100.

One day it got up to the upper 40's (wearing the UL over a base layer-)—it would have definitely been too warm (for me) with the 100 weight.

This is hiking local single track trails w/ decent elevation gain/loss at a decent pace.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have worn the UL 10 days straight hiking my local single track trails; temps 25-50°. Over a LW hoody base layer- at 25° had booth hoods up and both fully zipped, at 50° both the mid and base layers unzipped fully.

25-50° covers a pretty good chunk of my folks' hunting season :)

For those of you that have the Ambient, how quiet is the outer material? Is it similar to the Jetstream from a quietness standpoint, or quieter? I'm looking for a mid / outer layer that's quiet enough for stalking with a trad bow but that's significantly lighter (and hopefully a little quieter) than the Jetstream.

Its quieter than the Jetstream, the jetstream to me gets a bit of crinkle the colder it gets. I dont notice the ambient changing at all. Im not sure if its the exact same material as the old kelvin active line, but its close if youve ever had one of those for comparison.

Non scientific opinion, its somewhere between the apex/heavyweight hoody/merino and the jetstream as far as quietness.

Ive drawn on and killed a few whitetail and hogs inside 15 yards wearing the ambient hoody. Worth trying out, its one thing thatll always be with me.