Sitka core heavy weight hoody or Apex Hoody

Fowlman

FNG
Last year I orderd a core light wt. Hoody online and I absolutely love it.

I was thinking about buying a core heavy weight hoody for cooler weather.

But I have been comparing the heavyweight hoody to the apex hoody. I have not been able to hold either one in my hand.

Are they comparable?
Is the apex lighter then the cor hvy. Wt?
Or are they even comparable pieces?

Thank you for the help

Scorpion

WKR
The Apex hoody is a little heavier (4-5 ounces) than the Heavyweight hoody. Apex is wool with a nylon face on the shoulders and sleeves. Heavyweight hoody is more of a traditional polyester grid fleece option.

I’d use that to determine which way you want to go. I really enjoy the Apex and have found it’s one of the more unique gear items on the market. The merino is a nice touch for an insulating later and works well for my intended usage. I have grid fleece from other manufacturers and haven’t personally purchased the Sitka option yet.

Disclaimer - if you plan to get wet or hunt in a continually wet environment you’re probably best to go with the fleece option.

I have a couple of hvy wt Sitka hoodies and love them once it's cold I wear them every day whether I am hunting or not but I always take one when I am back pack hunting. Super warm for the weight

OP
Fowlman

Fowlman

FNG
Thank you guys for the answers. This time of year I don't get wet a lot but later in the year here in Western Oregon I am wet constantly. Like always I think going with either one is not a bad deal. But if I'm going to spend up to $200 on a shirt I want to make sure I get the better of the two if possible. Sooner or later I will be somewhere where I can see both of them I just don't live near that at this time. Thank you very much for your guys's help

Apex is more midweight. Looser fit in the waist area. Kangaroo pockets and elbow pads. Probably does a little better as an outer garment. A bit more snag and wind resistant. Quietest.

Hvy wght hoody is a bit slimmer. Layers under other stuff better. Breathes better imo. Snags more easily and probably wouldn’t hold up as well as an outer garment.

Traverse zip t (not the hoodie) is in the same catergory. A bit more wind and water resistance and best of the three as an Outer garment. Not as quiet though.

I had all 3. Ended up selling the apex. Great piece but I just didn’t have a use for it between some of the other stuff I owned.

Between the apex and core hvy wght I think it depends on whether you want a feature rich out garment or something for layering. The apex would shine as an outgarment for someone in a dry area with temps 45-70 as a quiet lightweight top. Below 45 you could layer over it but the features would get covered up and be useless. If you just want a layering piece, then the extra $$$, bulk and weight of the apex aren’t worth it so go with the core.

OP
Fowlman

Fowlman

FNG
Thank you very much for the input. Both sound good for the wrong reasons I'm just going to lay my eyes on them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't comment on the Apex piece, but the Core heavyweight is a really versatile piece- in warm weather it will suffice as an insulating layer when sitting/glassing; in cool weather layered over a lightweight base layer it's great on the move as it breathes so well; in cold weather it makes a very nice mid-layer

it's definitely an "athletic" fit, but purposely so as it facilitates layering over the top of it- windshirt, rain jacket, insulating layer, etc

if you can get your hand on a Patagonia R1 hoody- you'll have a very good idea what the heavyweight Core is- very, very similar