Sleeping bag for Montana late October

OP
maninthemaze
Wow, thank you very much. I'll definitely have to add that to my favorites list.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
That was the average temps for Butte. I realize that it will be colder at elevation but that was as close as I could get. And, I've got a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite pad. Maybe next year I'll upgrade to the XTherm. I've spent way too much money so far this year and it's not even February.

The Helium is a fine bag (I've got one too). The X-lite is a fine pad (yep, I've got one too). But if you want to push that 15F temperature rating, I'd definitely recommend a warmer pad. The cheapest way to do it would be to get a foam pad (Z-lite or the like) and use that under your X-lite.

boom

WKR
Thanks guys. I ended up buying a Marmot Helium. It's rated for 15 degrees and I'll probably get a liner for it as well. This should get me down low enough for Montana elk. I looked online and Montana's average temperature on October 31 was a high of 50 and lows of 26. I will still have my base layers on.

Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely a newbie at this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thats a good bag..my buddy just spent a week in one with me in AZ..he was warm, but he did sleep in all of his clothing. bonus,..none of that freeze spell getting dressed..just pop out and go.

i have a Never Summer and felt it didnt pack down as tight and compact..it is quite huge stuffed.

my WM Alpinlite is my goto bag..altho i could use a badger..i freeze up like a little girl.

The helium will definitely pack smaller than the Never Summer. It's 800 fill down vs 650 and a lighter material. as long as the temp rating is low enough it will serve you well