Sleeping bags best and weight and price.

OP
B
Man I would keep my eye on the REI Magma 30 or 15. They have sales alllll the time, and you can find those bags for around $250 or less. They are really good bags I've used both ,and I was very happy with them. I switched out the stuff sacks though. I could never get em in.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

awesome info jau thank you for the insight. That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

KyleR1985

WKR
Up front cost versus cost of ownership. Budget dictates your choice. But it doesn’t change the facts. Don’t make the assumption that large name brands are the only ones making high profit margins. That’s exactly what small name brands want you to think.

slim9300

WKR
I guess that’s why I’m confused. You agree with the cheap doesn’t equate to good or down, then you give me exactly what I am asking for. Your perspective is perfect info. I guess that is my point. The $750 KUIU does not perform any better than the $300 marmot. So why spend that additional money. feels like people don’t like the fact I’m trying to manage my budget when it all comes down to it.

I guess I never felt like a $300 Marmot was cheap, plus I thought they went for more like $400. Either way, Marmot is quality in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
perfect info to go off of thank you very much!! Good luck to you too

you are correct. Lots of comments which I appreciate however I feel like people are concerned that I’m a cheap skate or something because I am managing my budget. This gear cost a lot of money. I have $10’s of 1000’s wrapped up in all the other stuff like clothes bows etc And need to not just throw money down a hole if I don’t need to. I am not new to hunting elk or hunting period. And I have done plenty of pack in type hunting but the gear I have can be lighter. I just need a little perspective when it comes to what to look for when buying a bag is all and not assume I have to spend $600+ bones to get one.
So, you've spent tens of thousands on all your other gear but want to get by cheap on one of the most essential pieces? Got it. We're not trying to spend your money twice, we're telling you to spend it wisely once and be done with it. By and large a $750 bag and a $300 bag are not going to perform the same, regardless of what some guy on a forum said. Quality gear is an investment you've made everywhere else... why are you trying to save pennies now?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B
So, you've spent tens of thousands on all your other gear but want to get by cheap on one of the most essential pieces? Got it. We're not trying to spend your money twice, we're telling you to spend it wisely once and be done with it. By and large a $750 bag and a $300 bag are not going to perform the same, regardless of what some guy on a forum said. Quality gear is an investment you've made everywhere else... why are you trying to save pennies now?

I guess what makes me giggle just a little bit is I ask a pretty simple straightforward question and people like you take it down a deep rabbit hole. Never once did I ask for anybody to manage my budget. There are a lot of members that get it and understand the question I Asked and helped me immensely. In the statement of the $750 bag will outperform a $300 bag no matter what anybody in the form says you couldn’t be more wrong. That’s only unless you have a KUIU tattoo Or your some type of ambassador for them. With that said....thanks for your input.

slim9300

WKR

Please tell me how a Kuiu 15° sleeping bag is better than a Marmot Helium in your experience.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, im going to be that guy and say you get more for your money with a quilt. Open your mind up to the idea and we can find the right balance of cost vs weight vs warmth for you.

Jauwater

WKR
Ok, im going to be that guy and say you get more for your money with a quilt. Open your mind up to the idea and we can find the right balance of cost vs weight vs warmth for you.
Lol, oh man! Now you've done it! This thread is completely derailed now.

All we can do now is sit back and, watch.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
I did WM Versalite and love it. Light, compressible, warm, zipper operation is best I have seen, plus it is made here in the US. I would say it depends on what you prioritize, I put cost at the bottom because I wanted a warm, light, high quality bag, made in the US. Cost is what it is, 5 years from now who cares what the cost was.

slim9300

WKR

People seem to love quilts until you get down below freezing and especially into the mid 20s and below. Lots of feedback out there of how they get drafty in the lower temps regardless of rating, especially someone like me who moves around/rolls over every hour. You will read about lots of quilt guys that use them in the summer and early fall, but then move to quality bag later in the year.

My two good buddies are huge proponents. I already have three solid bags, so I just can’t get myself to spend the money when I’m already more than happy.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I can totally see that and read it from lots of people. I am a side sleeper that rolls around and my 20 deg quilt was fine in the low 20's and only had to throw on my puffy when it got to 18 one night. If I was planning on being in those temps regularly I'd buy a 0 deg quilt. Everyone is different though and honestly one mans comfortable is another mans shivering night.

Carr5vols

WKR
I have a TNF Furnace that is rated to 20 I have had it around 15 and was ok, but have a high rated pad. Weighs about 2.5 lbs not the lighest but for the money hard to beat.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Please tell me how a Kuiu 15° sleeping bag is better than a Marmot Helium in your experience.

Show me where I said a Kuiu bag is worth $750.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I guess what makes me giggle just a little bit is I ask a pretty simple straightforward question and people like you take it down a deep rabbit hole. Never once did I ask for anybody to manage my budget. There are a lot of members that get it and understand the question I Asked and helped me immensely. In the statement of the $750 bag will outperform a $300 bag no matter what anybody in the form says you couldn’t be more wrong. That’s only unless you have a KUIU tattoo Or your some type of ambassador for them. With that said....thanks for your input.
I don't own any Kuiu gear, never have, never will. You ask for opinions on an open forum and get upset when you get differing ones than your own. That's fine. Snuggle up with your thousands of dollars worth of other gear when you get cold. Sleeping bags you get what you pay for. There's no magic bag that is super light, super warm, and super cheap.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a western mountaineering bag after trying to use some “budget” bags ( mil surplus, and Cabela’s) I have no regrets about it but I wish I would of looked in the classifieds for lightly used ones and saved myself quite a bit of money. Seems people buy them for one hunt and practically give them away 🤷🏼‍♂️

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
300-400 dollar marmot helium 15 vs western mountaineering Alpenlite 20. This is coming from a person who has a custom bag designed by someone who designed and managed the manufacturing of many marmot bags

The WM zipper rarely snags . The marmot several times each time you get in and out . The WM you can relieve yourself and be back in your bag before you are awake . For me , the marmot I was awake by the time I got the zipper zipped

The WM draft collar works ... it means your feet and chest are similar warmth . The helium does not have a real one . Your feet may sweat and chest might be cold

The marmot I would feel chilled at 25 the WM really is a 20 degree .

The helium 2 lb 8 ounces .. the WM 2 lbs 1 .

Sure , the marmot is a good bag , it will last ( though my son needs his zipper replaced in his and it’s probably 7 years old ) but the WM is a great bag . If you use it say 200 nights over 10 years and then sell it on eBay it’s likely the cost is less than a dollar a night for the convenience . To me , for a dollar I’ll take the WM .

OP
B
I don't own any Kuiu gear, never have, never will. You ask for opinions on an open forum and get upset when you get differing ones than your own. That's fine. Snuggle up with your thousands of dollars worth of other gear when you get cold. Sleeping bags you get what you pay for. There's no magic bag that is super light, super warm, and super cheap.

Wow you seem pretty intelligent I should listen to you and all you professional advice. I really appreciate the input.

slim9300

WKR
300-400 dollar marmot helium 15 vs western mountaineering Alpenlite 20. This is coming from a person who has a custom bag designed by someone who designed and managed the manufacturing of many marmot bags

The WM zipper rarely snags . The marmot several times each time you get in and out . The WM you can relieve yourself and be back in your bag before you are awake . For me , the marmot I was awake by the time I got the zipper zipped

The WM draft collar works ... it means your feet and chest are similar warmth . The helium does not have a real one . Your feet may sweat and chest might be cold

The marmot I would feel chilled at 25 the WM really is a 20 degree .

The helium 2 lb 8 ounces .. the WM 2 lbs 1 .

Sure , the marmot is a good bag , it will last ( though my son needs his zipper replaced in his and it’s probably 7 years old ) but the WM is a great bag . If you use it say 200 nights over 10 years and then sell it on eBay it’s likely the cost is less than a dollar a night for the convenience . To me , for a dollar I’ll take the WM .

A fair comparison. I have had no serious issues with my Marmot zipper other than it snagging occasionally. I was so used to opening that bag that if done right, it was easy to keep it from snagging if I used two hands. The Kuiu seems a tad better without any special treatment.

The helium is ideal for people who want a large/wide bag, but stay relatively UL, and the Kuiu is even better. I couldn’t imagine a more narrow bag to save a few ounces, and there are a lot of them out there. It appears the Helium Long compared to the Alpenlite Long has 1-2” less shoulder circumference, but 2” greater hip and footbox circumference. That partially explains the weight disparity between the two. It’s also appears my Kuiu has even more generous dimensions than the Helium. It has 3” greater circumference in the hips and 4” greater in the footbox compared to the Alpenlite. This explains why it’s more comfortable for me.

Low 20s is about as low as I will take any 15 degree bag. If you look at the independent EN testing done, they really aren’t designed to go down to their lowest temp rating. Needless to say, I have slept in the Helium down to 20-22 degrees a few times in my puffy. Wasn’t super warm but I could sleep. I am also a pretty cold sleeper and run an Exped with about a 5 R-value. Since I don’t backpack after mid October, this isn’t a problem for me. It rarely gets that cold now-a-days during archery elk in MT anyways.

Last edited: