Slick Trick broadhead problem...

J23

FNG
I picked up a pack of Slick Trick heads to try for this season. Tried to thread them onto my arrows, two out of the four won't screw down. I get about a half turn before they just stop. I don't want to force the issue and bung up my inserts. I'm using Sirius (Ethics?) inserts. No problem with the other two heads.

Just to check, I ran down an old Muzzy, Steel Force, Magnus, Sevr, and some field points on the same arrows--no problems.

I even tried the Tricks in question on a old Easton Epic and Gold Tip I had laying around.. same thing, so obviously it's the heads.

I don't see any obvious burrs or problems with the threads. I was thinking of ordering an 8-32 die and using it to clean them up, but for $10 a head, and from everything I've read, I wasn't expecting this sort of QC issue.

Anyone else have this problem with them?

Luked

WKR
Shot Tricks for years. Never had an issue with any of them.
Still have almost a full Doz at the house now and all of them are fine.
I would contact them.

TheTone

WKR
I remember people posting last year of issues with the viper trick heads not screwing all the way down and having a gap between the shoulder of the arrow and the blades/washer. They were able to screw the ferrule all the way in but when the blades were in the head they wouldn’t. I’ve had great luck with slick trick heads in the past and was about to order some more but seeing the fit issues seem to still be around us going to have me go a different direction

I had that issue with some of mine. I thought it was an issue with glue from the arrows. I put them in other arrows and they went fine. I did the same as you and grabbed some old broadheads to try. Same results as you. What I ended up doing is (after slicing my finger open) getting my broadhead tool and just slowly spinning them on. I couldn't get them all the way down and had to put a little glue to stop the spacer/washer from moving. Those are my backup broadheads. If I remember correctly I had two heads like that out of the dozen, so only 16% of my heads.

OP
J

J23

FNG
I had that issue with some of mine. I thought it was an issue with glue from the arrows. I put them in other arrows and they went fine. I did the same as you and grabbed some old broadheads to try. Same results as you. What I ended up doing is (after slicing my finger open) getting my broadhead tool and just slowly spinning them on. I couldn't get them all the way down and had to put a little glue to stop the spacer/washer from moving. Those are my backup broadheads. If I remember correctly I had two heads like that out of the dozen, so only 16% of my heads.
Thanks for that. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sounds like they're having some QC issues, which is a shame, from everything I've read, they're great heads.

I can see how you cut your finger.. dang things are sharp. Like... scary sharp.

I emailed Slick Trick, so we shall see. I'll post and update with their response.

Bump79

WKR
Grab a 8-32 tap and see if you can't either clean it up or increase the depth of thread.

LostArra

WKR
I had two heads do the same thing. The other two heads killed a cow elk and a whitetail buck.

It's interesting that every time I hear of this problem it's two bad heads per package.

I’ve never had a problem with them. I’d contact Slick Trick customer service. I bet they’d take care of you.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, CBE, Slick Trick, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Pine Ridge Archery, Sevr, Bloodline Fibers, Element Archery, Spypoint

Last edited:
I had the same issue with 3 packs of heads last year. Only 1 would screw into my arrow out of all 9. I e-mailed them and had new ones within the week

I bought a pack this year to try out and had the same thing with 2 of the 4. On mine you could look at the threads and see they were offset to the ferule. Looks like a good broadhead and I was really wanting to try them out but I'll stick with Wac'ems I guess

OP
J

J23

FNG
Well, as promised, here's an update.

Decided to call Customer Service, spoke to a gentleman and explained the situation. Apparently, this is an ongoing issue, with multiple complaints.

Asked for my address, and is shipping me a new pack of broadheads ASAP. No questions asked, no returns, nothing.

That's spectacular customer service right there.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as promised, here's an update.

Decided to call Customer Service, spoke to a gentleman and explained the situation. Apparently, this is an ongoing issue, with multiple complaints.

Asked for my address, and is shipping me a new pack of broadheads ASAP. No questions asked, no returns, nothing.

And … how are the replacement heads?

Jethro

WKR
Unfortunately they've had issues for maybe 3 years now. Not threading on or not seating tight to the insert (which they claimed was a design change and not a problem). I still have some old ones, like them and they are fine. But after 2 new packs of Vipers that wouldn't thread on tight, I've moved on.

As I expected. They’ll get the issue sorted out. There’s probably a machine that’s “off” or out of calibration. Or a QC shortcoming with a supplier.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, CBE, Slick Trick, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Pine Ridge Archery, Sevr, Bloodline Fibers, Element Archery, Spypoint

HoytHntr4

WKR
642BDD7E-B8D5-4B80-9019-109D7BDFC3EC.jpeg
I just picked up 2 packs of the viper trick SS’s and they all screw in and have a gap between the base of the head and the end of the arrow

Osubuck

FNG
Same issue here last year. They once were the best fixed blade head but ever since company was sold they have had problems.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Dog gone it and I was going to purchase some Slick Tricks too. Guess I'll just sharpen up my old Muzzys.