Slik 833/834 vs RRS

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m looking for a new “big” tripod. I was pretty well set on a Really Right Stuff TVC-24L but am wondering if I could get “enough” stability for my 95 BTX with a Slik 833/34 for 1/3 the price.

Anyone have any experience with either if not both?

Yes you can get very good stability, also with the Sirui N2204, plus 10 layers of Carbon to absorb vibration better, with 25% off on the Sirui, today's the last day on the sale and then 15% back from Sirui. The Slik is an excellent tripod and we give 10% off to members, but the Sirui is better and has a 6 year warranty vs 1 year. We are here today until 6:00

Ohearchai

FNG
I can only comment on what I have, its just a standard 24, basically a mk1 that I've had about 5 years. Height is about 50 inches without head, compared to 54 on the Slik you mentioned, although the 24L is around 64. Weight is comparable, the rrs are rated around 70lbs versus 15lbs for the slik. Depends what you want to do with em, normally if I glass I'm sitting, hook on the rrs to hang extra weight if wanted. My 24 is tall enough to shoot off, i'm about 5,11. I've had a variety of tripods over the years, slik, manfrotto, prst, all decent but they aint a rrs. Yup pricey but if I'm putting a 2k optic on top of it, or a 20lb rifle for prs type shooting, I want a little extra.

20181214_140054.jpg

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I can only comment on what I have, its just a standard 24, basically a mk1 that I've had about 5 years. Height is about 50 inches without head, compared to 54 on the Slik you mentioned, although the 24L is around 64. Weight is comparable, the rrs are rated around 70lbs versus 15lbs for the slik. Depends what you want to do with em, normally if I glass I'm sitting, hook on the rrs to hang extra weight if wanted. My 24 is tall enough to shoot off, i'm about 5,11. I've had a variety of tripods over the years, slik, manfrotto, prst, all decent but they aint a rrs. Yup pricey but if I'm putting a 2k optic on top of it, or a 20lb rifle for prs type shooting, I want a little extra.

View attachment 202170

Thank you that is great information.

If you're the type of person who appreciates nice things like a $5k BTX on a 95 objective, I think you will be glad you invested in a set of RRS legs. I made the leap to a RRS TFC-33S and I love it. You know the kind of stability you have with a small optic on a medium size tripod? Well, I have that now with my big Kowa 883. I can't say if it's needed for 35x with the BTX, but I feel that added stability takes 60x up to a new level of usability.

If you do go in the RRS direction, consider the 3 series of legs. The difference is the leg diameter, which is the most weight-efficient way to increase strength and stability. Also, the fixed apex brings the weight back down about as much as the wider 3-series legs increased it, and it packs down smaller too.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, you guys are confirming my first instincts were correct. Did you buy direct from RRS? I’m not finding many places that carry them.