Small 28 - 32mm bino recommendations

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some input on a pair of smaller framed binos in the 8-10x range by 28-32mm for bow hunting from a treestand. These will also pull double duty as a pair of binos for the truck so I expect them to raddle around and get beat up a bit. I have a pair of 8x42 swaros as my primaries so not looking for anything crazy expensive (sub $1000ish). Currently, the Vortex Diamondback 8x32mm seems to be the ticket. Looking for inputs on those that own them or other options. I've contemplated a pair of swaro companions but have found very little information about them. Thanks

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Some great recommendations guys! Kowa totally slipped my mind. The Kowa BD II 6.5x32mm really has my interest. Not a whole lot online about them. Being in Florida I doubt I'll find a place to compare a few of the Kowa models to the Vortex and Leupold offerings.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Best option is the Kowa Genesis 8x33's, even if you were to spend more you wouldn't find a significantly superior binocular

Doug, do you feel this applies to 8x32 NL Pure as well as 8x32 Zeiss SF? I have read the 8x33 Kowa have softer edges than the alphas but have never put my eyes behind a pair. This combined with the narrower FOV I would think the view would appear inferior. People on Birdforum do seem to rave about the center clarity and contrast on the Kowa.

For around $550 I really like the Maven B3 8x30s. I've run them against my 8x32 first gen EL's a bunch and every time I come away impressed with how good the Maven's are.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like there are a good bit of options out there. Has anyone used the Vortex Diamondbacks or Leupold BX-4 pros?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug, do you feel this applies to 8x32 NL Pure as well as 8x32 Zeiss SF? I have read the 8x33 Kowa have softer edges than the alphas but have never put my eyes behind a pair. This combined with the narrower FOV I would think the view would appear inferior. People on Birdforum do seem to rave about the center clarity and contrast on the Kowa.
The Kowa Genesis 8x33's are on par optically with a Swarovski SLC grade glass. No, not there with an NL pure but the Kowa is under $1,000

Looking for some input on a pair of smaller framed binos in the 8-10x range by 28-32mm for bow hunting from a treestand. These will also pull double duty as a pair of binos for the truck so I expect them to raddle around and get beat up a bit. I have a pair of 8x42 swaros as my primaries so not looking for anything crazy expensive (sub $1000ish). Currently, the Vortex Diamondback 8x32mm seems to be the ticket. Looking for inputs on those that own them or other options. I've contemplated a pair of swaro companions but have found very little information about them. Thanks
I wouldn't spend money on Diamondbacks only because they just aren't durable enough.

A clean used pair of x32 Meostars would be just about right. You see them up for $500-600 range from time to time.

Swaro companions are really good as well. Small and light and sharp.

My personal every day bins are 8x32 Conquest HD's (I literally use them for everything) but they are more of a mid-sized bin. For my big hands, they really work though.

I recently went through this decision. I landed on Swaro 8x30 cl b. I think mounted on a rick young harness, they are it! At 17oz and $940, I'm very happy with their performance. I used to have EL 8.5x42 and these are not the same league as that optically, but I don't find myself missing the weight as chest glass. The practical in-use quality of the glass makes me very happy that I spent the money each time i look thru them. I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything practically speaking compared to the 8.5x42 EL.
I was in Utah 2 days ago and was watching deer feeding at dusk in a field at 500 yards away and was very happy with all performance metrics. This was my 2021 elk setup and I was very happy with them. I'm sure the x32 options are slightly better, but they weight 25% more (17oz vs 21oz). The weight is significant to me when using the Rick Young.

I've had the Maven 8x30, but I did not care for the lack of edge clarity at all. I looked thru some Zeiss 8x25 Terras, but those were not worth much money in my opinion. If my bino budget was $500, I wouldn't be looking at roof prisms anyway.

Last edited:
OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Shoeshineman, glad to hear you've liked your CL's. They are still high on my list. The weight savings is really what has me interested. Just need to get some time behind a pair before I pull the trigger on them. Hoping to find a pair used in the classified section. Might get a pair of Cl's for bow and turkey hunting then purchase a beater pair of full-size Vortex to keep in the truck. Don't like the idea of having an expensive pair of bino's laying around in the truck.

mthayr

WKR
Kowa 6.5x32 sound perfect for what you are looking for.
Love mine - I'm in exactly the situation you describe: good pair are Swaro 8x42, these kick around in my truck and have a "Rick Young" bino harness on them. Got them from CameralandNY.

i will vote Kowa too... i have some 8X30 slc's i'm putting on the classifieds when i get around to it as well, if you're interested, let me know, they won't be price gouge prices.... i hate selling stuff, haha

Shraggs

WKR
Completely agree the swaro cl latest generation is amazing fir that objective size.

Another capable backup pair is the leupold Yosemite 6x30. Pretty impressive for a little over 100 bucks.