Smokeless muzzleloader scope

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade the scope on my smokeless muzzleloader. It’s been wearing a Burris FF2 3-9 for a few years and it’s a tough little scope that has done well. Just looking to upgrade.

I hunt Tennessee, Ohio and Virginia with the gun. So some shots out to 200 yards in Ohio and some rough East Tennessee mountain hunting as well. I don’t dial, just set it and forget it. This gun has a considerable amount of recoil, it’s a light gun pushing a 225gr bullet. I’d say more than 7mm mag recoil.

So far I’m considering the trijicon Huron 3-9x40, trijicon credo 3-9x40, maven sr.2 2-10x38. Looking to keep the price under $600. Looking for suggestions and perspectives on my ideas. Thanks!

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Scout conversion. Had it converted a few years ago just getting into it with plans to build a bolt gun and haven’t seen the need to move on from it. Such a great muzzleloader.

Have you noticed a huge difference in eye relief between the Huron and credo? That’s the only thing holding me back on the Huron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scout conversion. Had it converted a few years ago just getting into it with plans to build a bolt gun and haven’t seen the need to move on from it. Such a great muzzleloader.

Have you noticed a huge difference in eye relief between the Huron and credo? That’s the only thing holding me back on the Huron.

No I have not. I will say, the Huron has a thicker reticle which is probably better suited for hunting, the credo is illuminated so that helps, but it’s thin.

I would also suggest if you have the factory dura sight on your scout, throw it away and buy a better mount.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
No I have not. I will say, the Huron has a thicker reticle which is probably better suited for hunting, the credo is illuminated so that helps, but it’s thin.

Awesome, thanks for your help. I’ll probably get the Huron. Really just want a tough scope with no POI shifts

Awesome, thanks for your help. I’ll probably get the Huron. Really just want a tough scope with no POI shifts
I think you’ll like either.

What’s your load in the scout. I’ve had a hunter conversion and a scout conversion and kick myself for getting rid of both lol. H4198 and a fury star tip got it done quite well. These days I tote a savage with a pacnor barrel. It’s a bit more horsepower but the recoil and handling is much worse than the CVAs were

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I used sabots in the hunter but once I got a sizing die I quit using them. I think I used 250gr star tips with the plastic tip in the scout. Good luck out there!

I may venture into sizing soon. I just feel crazy switching loads up. So far the gun has been a killing machine for me for 5 or so seasons in 3-4 states.

I may venture into sizing soon. I just feel crazy switching loads up. So far the gun has been a killing machine for me for 5 or so seasons in 3-4 states.
Sizing opens up the door to a lot of choices. I’ve shot mostly fury and Parker bullets and either work just fine. My next venture will be with a Pittman bullet. For strictly hunting, it’s hard to beat the fury bullets tho. If you try sizing, get some wool wads. Eastern Maine shooting supply is where I got mine. It’ll help the bullet obturate and gives much better groups.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Sizing opens up the door to a lot of choices. I’ve shot mostly fury and Parker bullets and either work just fine. My next venture will be with a Pittman bullet. For strictly hunting, it’s hard to beat the fury bullets tho. If you try sizing, get some wool wads. Eastern Maine shooting supply is where I got mine. It’ll help the bullet obturate and gives much better groups.

What sizing die do you use?

My only concern with smooth sizing is misfiring. My gun is a 209 gun so I feel like the sabot gives it a good needed seal. That may be unwarranted concerns though.

My only concern with smooth sizing is misfiring. My gun is a 209 gun so I feel like the sabot gives it a good needed seal. That may be unwarranted concerns though.
I use a swinglock die. The hunter I had was a 209 and I started with sabots. Had misfires from the start. Met a guy out in East Tn and he got me squared away. I ended up have to duplex my loads. But it didn’t matter what I shot, I had to duplex. The scout I used lrmp and a module. I never had an issue. Not sure where you’re from but I’m in Tn.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I use a swinglock die. The hunter I had was a 209 and I started with sabots. Had misfires from the start. Met a guy out in East Tn and he got me squared away. I ended up have to duplex my loads. But it didn’t matter what I shot, I had to duplex. The scout I used lrmp and a module. I never had an issue. Not sure where you’re from but I’m in Tn.

Tri cities area.

I may get a die and try some 250 fury. I strictly hunt with this gun obviously so the fury bullets suit me well.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider

Like Pickett pointed out, you’ll have to duplex most likely as your ignition is 209. You just have to try it though. My apex conversion is a gen 2 209 plug from arrowhead, and it does fine with strait 4198. It has to have a wad though. The new lrp systems are good go.

Do I read the specs correctly on the Huron, that the eye relief is only 2.5 to 3.5 inches? Wow, I wouldn't want to mount that on a gun with any serious recoil.